General Thoughts: English Advanced Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

hjed

HSC
Totally wish I'd picked up on the context thing for time and space (mod B), I talked about context but only linked it to the corruption part.
I took the question pretty literally and talked about small spaces (Ophelia's Grave) and impatience in individual quotes. I basically linked time to the idea of fast paced medieval society being corrupted compared less impatient medieval society. In one of my paragraphs I also talked about how Brothels were smaller spaces then heaven and hell...

Mod A: A lot of teachers hate first person, my English Ext teacher basically told me to never write in first person (including for advanced essays). Might lose a mark for it depending on the marker, I think I linked to the question pretty well though so they won't think its rote learned (it wasn't)

I couldnt believe how generic mod C was... I wish they would cut down the rote learners for a change... If they make other subjects easier as well imma be mad
They probably stuffed up quite a few by specifying only one related text. A lot of the sample stuff for Mod C uses two so I wouldn't be surprised if it screwed up a lot of rote learned essays. (I was really hopping it specified one as I didn't like my second related)

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Should really stop checking this thread so I can't reinforce how bad I feel for English atm....
Don't worry too much. Its only 20% of your ATAR. Plus most people will remember crap and feel bad about it.

You'll get the effort you put into it back I guess.

RayRay

HSC
Why? That question was easy as fuck. Time and place are the fundamentals of textual integrity (which everyone should have in their essay) and corruption is a pretty significant theme that I doubt anyone ignored, which could've been drawn out from a lot of other themes like appearance vs reality, deception, morality, etc too. I highly doubt anyone with memorised responses would've found it too difficult, unless they really over analysed the question.

Edit: Mod C is a flawed syllabus in that you cannot get a question that is not generic because the Module itself is too shallow for anything deep. Unfortunately, the question will be the same each year.

Ironically, legitimate essay writing relies on first person as it is supposed to be a personal, persuasive medium. A common misconception is that proper essay formalities neglects first person, but traditional essay writing begs to differ. HSC English forgets this except in Module B.
Hmmm...you sound like my english tutor...in a good way though...fairly intellectual

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
HSC English forgets this except in Module B.
Today it was Module A.

And that Hamlet question took a lot of thinking to eventually link it to characterisation, which was my main theme, being induced by place and time.

mads21

HSC
OK so I just really didn't like the specifics, like ambition and 'time and place/corruption"
My thesis' let me down as it basically ruined the rest of the essay!!
But loved module C - made me feel so much better!

Courtney Wadey

HSC
for the hamlet question, it said like explain how time and place is used to shape the audiences view of corruption in hamlet but what it really means is explain how knowledge of context shapes the audiences view on corruption in hamlet, because time and place means context, the question was just phrased differently to throw people off

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
For some reason I thought it would ask about textual integrity this year

Makematics

HSC
Theyre too pussy to do that... Cos the smh will start puttig up headlines like 'hsc exam paper cruel and evil, challenging even the top students'

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Hmmm...you sound like my english tutor...in a good way though...fairly intellectual
Well I am an English Tutor :haha:

Today it was Module A.

And that Hamlet question took a lot of thinking to eventually link it to characterisation, which was my main theme, being induced by place and time.
So I was very pleased to hear!

That's the problem I generally have with Hamlet essays that focus on characterisation. I find that while characterisation is indeed deep in Hamlet, it's more effective as analysis rather than entire points since the Hamlet questions typically revolve around thematic concerns, and characterisation is a technique, not a theme.

for the hamlet question, it said like explain how time and place is used to shape the audiences view of corruption in hamlet but what it really means is explain how knowledge of context shapes the audiences view on corruption in hamlet, because time and place means context, the question was just phrased differently to throw people off
Bingo!

You were right; they did ask about textual integrity this year. Time and place were supposed to be extended to the context of audiences, not just what's inside the play. This goes for all Hamlet questions since they'll never ask something so brutally shallow. And even if they don't specifically ask for textual integrity, it should be in your response.

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Well I certainly spoke about the Shakespearean audiences and the place of Denmark but no mention of context.

I actually said that characterisation was shaped by time and place and thus the delay in Hamlet allowed for Claudius' corruption to continue. Then Claudius' ask for mercy through biblical referencing conveyed how he admits to his corruption.

Yep, definitely maximum of 17 now.

RayRay

HSC
Same, but I think my range would be somewhat 80 to 90 out of 105, depending on the aligning of each module.

Do you think at least you'll get a high band 5?
High 80s could yield a band 6

Yussss i talked about textual integrity
Don't tell me ur one of those people who chuck that word in to sound intellectual, coz my tutor says its fairly obvious when that happens.

Theyre too pussy to do that... Cos the smh will start puttig up headlines like 'hsc exam paper cruel and evil, challenging even the top students'
Hahah, wait till 4u, coz 2012 was fairly easy

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Don't tell me ur one of those people who chuck that word in to sound intellectual, coz my tutor says its fairly obvious when that happens.
I used 'unity' a few times.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Hahah, wait till 4u, coz 2012 was fairly easy

Next week:
Sydney Morning Herald - "Board of Studies this year introduce a cruel and evil simple harmonic motion question (SMH). The Board of Studies is attempting to attack SMH from every angle possible so that we give up and to achieve harmonic motions with us."

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
Why? That question was easy as fuck. Time and place are the fundamentals of textual integrity (which everyone should have in their essay) and corruption is a pretty significant theme that I doubt anyone ignored, which could've been drawn out from a lot of other themes like appearance vs reality, deception, morality, etc too. I highly doubt anyone with memorised responses would've found it too difficult, unless they really over analysed the question.

Edit: Mod C is a flawed syllabus in that you cannot get a question that is not generic because the Module itself is too shallow for anything deep. Unfortunately, the question will be the same each year.

Ironically, legitimate essay writing relies on first person as it is supposed to be a personal, persuasive medium. A common misconception is that proper essay formalities neglects first person, but traditional essay writing begs to differ. HSC English forgets this except in Module B.
Easy to say now in hindsight, but most people with prepared responses who didn't focus on themes would have panicked beyond their ability to even comprehend time, place and corruption and adapt their response.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Easy to say now in hindsight, but most people with prepared responses who didn't focus on themes would have panicked beyond their ability to even comprehend time, place and corruption and adapt their response.
I somehow adapted my characterisation to that response. Somehow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)