Extension 2 questions for 2014? (1 Viewer)

eminka

HSC
Hello!

I'm completely new to this I honestly don't even know how I managed to get to this page, so I hope I'm writing this in the correct section! :(

I've just started my HSC and picked up extension 2... I'm still not sure if this was a good idea but hey, I can always just not submit...

So far, I've decided I'll probably write a series of short stories, I have an idea on the framework and concept but I'm not 100% positive. My questions for all you knowledgeable people are:

1. How many short stories would be the ideal? Is there an average?
2. I've been told I can write, I've been winging my whole high school education up until this point so I'm quite nervous to trust myself with actually taking time to write. What's the best way of staying up to date, on top and to not burn out?
3. What's the easiest way to deal with judgement on your writing? I HATE people reading my work (even my teacher), so this whole proposal, peer editing situation which they've come up with and general judgement frightens the shit out of me!

Thankyou! :)

grape

HSC
hey i just started ee2 as well, take it easy :) im doing one short story, my teacher told me the most important thing right now is research and investigation about what you plan to do.
to answer your question, i wouldn't stress myself with a bunch of short stories, work on one and smash that one, perfect it. also, no matter the criticism, always take it as constructive criticism and not destructive :) good luck

and PM me if you need anything :wavey:

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
1 - I would discuss that with your teacher, I only did one myself and that is the most common. Although a nice idea might be to write a couple of short stories that all link together somehow.

2 - People will have varying suggestions for this, but here is what I suggest. Throughout Term 4 you will likely become busy with assessments. I do not suggest writing in this period, and most of the lectures and tutorials I went to suggested the same thing. It is because you will not have fully thought out your concept and what you want to do. In Term 4 I suggest researching your concept by looking at similar stories, looking at a bit of literary theory, coming up with a framework of what you want to do, trying to pin down in two sentences what you want to explore or achieve in your piece. Throughout the holidays I suggest writing a little bit of your work, but not a lot. The holidays are a great time to research and make notes. Term 1 was ideal writing time for me. People can write in large blocks of time, others want to take incremental steps. Its all up to you. After you finished first draft its time to begin editing.

3 - This is a problem. You need to let go of the judgemental side of it and think of it as constructive criticism. Your first draft will be crap. No one writes a finished product of a first draft. Thats why it is called a draft. I found criticism very helpful, as it allowed focus for my editing and gave different perspectives of what motifs and symbols I could add in my story.

Best of luck

eminka

HSC
hey i just started ee2 as well, take it easy :) im doing one short story, my teacher told me the most important thing right now is research and investigation about what you plan to do.
to answer your question, i wouldn't stress myself with a bunch of short stories, work on one and smash that one, perfect it. also, no matter the criticism, always take it as constructive criticism and not destructive :) good luck

and PM me if you need anything :wavey:

Ahh yes I was considering doing one short story but... Long story short, my teacher and I realize me attempting one story and making it just decent is an issue. I've got a very short attention span in general, all my essays and short stories in past exams are quick and to the point, and usually under 1000 words haha! So even considering one short story would be a suicide mission! :chainsaw2:

hjed

HSC
You really want to get a first draft done in the Christmas holidays or the ones after, I really regret not doing this. You can do as many stories as you like, but in total they have to be under the 8000 word limit. Considering that I wouldn't do more than 7 (and I only did one). If you do more than one they need to be related in a way that you can easily justify.
Also it's really good to show it too as many people as possible, if you know anyone who is an author that would be even better.

HSC
Hello!

I'm completely new to this I honestly don't even know how I managed to get to this page, so I hope I'm writing this in the correct section! :(

I've just started my HSC and picked up extension 2... I'm still not sure if this was a good idea but hey, I can always just not submit...

So far, I've decided I'll probably write a series of short stories, I have an idea on the framework and concept but I'm not 100% positive. My questions for all you knowledgeable people are:

2. I've been told I can write, I've been winging my whole high school education up until this point so I'm quite nervous to trust myself with actually taking time to write. What's the best way of staying up to date, on top and to not burn out?
3. What's the easiest way to deal with judgement on your writing? I HATE people reading my work (even my teacher), so this whole proposal, peer editing situation which they've come up with and general judgement frightens the shit out of me!

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Ext 2 English :sleep:
Ext 2 Maths, however :birthday:

psychotropic

HSC
Hello!

1. You can either write one long story, or a suite of short stories (no more than 4/5). If you are writing a suite, you must make sure that the stories are thematically linked, and when looked at together, are greater than the sum of the parts
2. Being able to write and do well in Extension 2 English do not necessarily correlate. My tip would be to make sure that you keep on writing; even if you think what you are writing isn't very good, keep on writing. Alongside your constant writing, keep on researching about the specific area of your major work. Gradually, what you write will begin to get better. Once you have written a volume of work (or are in the process of doing so) make sure to seek the advice of others- that can be your extension 2 english teacher, other english teachers, or people on this forum
3. Dealing with judgement scared me a bit when I first started this course as well. I think that the main thing you should remember is that it will really improve the quality of your work if you seek the help of others. Sure, you might be afraid of what they might say, particularly if they don't like it, but if you don't ask, you won't know if you are progressing in the right direction and what you are trying to convey is coming across. If you just remove all the doubts in your mind, and show it to your teacher, I think you will see that they genuinely want to help you, and can give you really cool ideas for your major work. Hopefully, overtime, this fear of other people judging your work will go away

Hope this helps

KeyaMcGeown

HSC
I have picked up extension2 also and have come up with a concept but no plot as yet. Started handing out questionnaires involving the context and links to my concept, nothing further as yet - we can all be in this together hahaha DONT STRESS

Litiarose

HSC
I'm the only person picking up ext. 2 at my school and I've been freaking out about it a lot lately but reading this was comforting, we're all in the same boat. Feels :wavey:

MiseryParade

HSC
1. You can either write one long story, or a suite of short stories (no more than 4/5). If you are writing a suite, you must make sure that the stories are thematically linked, and when looked at together, are greater than the sum of the parts
2. Being able to write and do well in Extension 2 English do not necessarily correlate.
My tip would be to make sure that you keep on writing; even if you think what you are writing isn't very good, keep on writing. Alongside your constant writing, keep on researching about the specific area of your major work. Gradually, what you write will begin to get better. Once you have written a volume of work (or are in the process of doing so) make sure to seek the advice of others- that can be your extension 2 english teacher, other english teachers, or people on this forum
3. Dealing with judgement scared me a bit when I first started this course as well. I think that the main thing you should remember is that it will really improve the quality of your work if you seek the help of others. Sure, you might be afraid of what they might say, particularly if they don't like it, but if you don't ask, you won't know if you are progressing in the right direction and what you are trying to convey is coming across. If you just remove all the doubts in your mind, and show it to your teacher, I think you will see that they genuinely want to help you, and can give you really cool ideas for your major work. Hopefully, overtime, this fear of other people judging your work will go away

Hope this helps
Not necessarily true. OP, you can do literally anything you want in EE2. Personally, I think I had 7-8 short stories/vignettes in my major work and none of them were thematically linked. They had a very faint overarching theme, but you could only find this out by reading my reflection statement.

Hello!

1. No average, no ideal number. Do what you want.
2. Force yourself to write regularly. I burnt out completely by the end of December and ended up restarting and finishing my entire major work literally the night before it was due. I ended up submitting my unchecked first draft - with its copious grammatical errors and inconsistencies, to my horror - and ended up doing a lot worse than what I could've done. I still got a mid E4, but I'm incredibly disappointed in myself for leaving it so late.
3. My philosophy was this: let them bitch all they want about my work. I'll just work that much harder to impress them the next time I show them something.

Therese98

HSC
I'm the only person picking up ext. 2 at my school and I've been freaking out about it a lot lately but reading this was comforting, we're all in the same boat. Feels :wavey:
Me too. Now, as an experienced writer with a year of Extension 2 behind you; could you give me some tips, please? (I am so scared about starting!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)