Synonym for walking nervously? (1 Viewer)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I swear I just had a mental blank! Can anyone help me out?
thanks

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Like an outcast dude walking nervously in another society where he does not belong.

GabbyS

HSC
Paced? It's hard to come up with one word for a simple verb with an adjective attached. Have you considered using a simile? It might work better and add ~technique~ to your writing and get you English teacher brownie points.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
traipse-walk or move wearily or reluctantly.
"students had to traipse all over London to attend lectures"

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Though the meaning of 'traipse' is to "walk reluctantly", when I envision the word and someone "traipsing along", I envision a light gallop or a jolly walk. That's just me though.

(but isn't that onomatopoeia)

yes, but the best writing not only communicates what you want literally, but the sound should ideally match up too, gg writing a love poem in black speech for instance

If I had to write someone walking nervously, I'd try and get the language to be slower, draw out the sentence more, and use words such as "trepid" or "cautious" - if you really want to make the writing ooze that this person does not belong in a society.

Especially in a short story, where words are at a premium, your word choice has to be very well done - almost like poetry.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
edged, slunk, slid, scuffed, shuffled, tip-toed, crumpled, paced, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)