• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UNSW Chit Chat Thread 2014 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh wow! Where are you going to? I hope you have loads of fun!!!!
Well I am only planning so far. I will be applying at the end of this year to go on exchange in my final semester (Sem 2 2015). Atm I am looking at Yonsei University (Seoul), Hong Kong University, University of Zurich or University of Amsterdam :D

I originally wanted to go to Todai (Tokyo Uni) but I stopped learning Japenese since Year 11 and so I won't meet the language requirement to study there. The four uni above have courses in English so yea :)

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Can we get our Student ID Cards earlier than O-Week? It's seems like it'll packed as fuark during o-week lel.

williamdaft

HSC
Can we get our Student ID Cards earlier than O-Week? It's seems like it'll packed as fuark during o-week lel.
yeah, my friend got his today. As long as you're enrolled online - finished part I and II, you can go get it in FM Assist or the library.

Examine

same
HSC
O-Week 2014: Blacklight Party
Free before 7:30 pm, cheap entry afterwards. 18+ only.

A minute of silence for the people still under 18 (me fml)

williamdaft

HSC
Well I am only planning so far. I will be applying at the end of this year to go on exchange in my final semester (Sem 2 2015). Atm I am looking at Yonsei University (Seoul), Hong Kong University, University of Zurich or University of Amsterdam :D

I originally wanted to go to Todai (Tokyo Uni) but I stopped learning Japenese since Year 11 and so I won't meet the language requirement to study there. The four uni above have courses in English so yea :)
That sounds awesome, have fun!
May I ask how much are the approximate expenses you need for a semester exchange? I just want a rough idea of a real example.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
That sounds awesome, have fun!
May I ask how much are the approximate expenses you need for a semester exchange? I just want a rough idea of a real example.
My friend who went to America last sem said about 12k (not including flight costs). Depending on where you go you can get a loan. I believe if you go on exchange to Asia you can borrow about 6k?

Regarding IDs, there is a different one this year. It has some sort of chip system or something. The printers at uni now have a scan system instead of a swipe system. There are few printers (very little) that still use the swipe system. Even though my student ID expires next year I might as well make another one (for printing purposes)

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Man, I wish they would give us the fee statement now...
why do you need your fee statement? You will get it closer towards the start of semester.

If you are doing Commerce it's about 1.2k a course per semester

williamdaft

HSC
What do you do after you finished Part I and II, so supplied TFN and status is "HECS HELP Eligible" .. wait for fee statement? Do I have to do anything else for HECS ?

D94

HSC
N/A
What do you do after you finished Part I and II, so supplied TFN and status is "HECS HELP Eligible" .. wait for fee statement? Do I have to do anything else for HECS ?
That's it. The fee statement just indicates which courses you took and the cost. You don't need to do anything with it regarding HECS-HELP. (but do check to see the correct courses are listed etc.)

williamdaft

HSC
That's it. The fee statement just indicates which courses you took and the cost. You don't need to do anything with it regarding HECS-HELP. (but do check to see the correct courses are listed etc.)
Thanks!!

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
How many flexible core subjects can you do in the first semester for first years?
Depends on your course.

My course offers none in first year.

Most other engineering courses offer two though for first year.

There is a maximum of 24 UOC of electives for B Commerce for looking at the handbook. Probably the maximum per semester would be 12 UOC of electives.

I think though you might have to do the compulsory 24 UOC first. Check the handbook and read the electives on the list if they need a certain pre-requisite or something.

---------------------------

Ok I just realised something.

UNSW did not place down my middle name in myUNSW.

Everything else has my middle name on it.

If I went to get my id done, would they be able to change it so that under their system they include my middle name?

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
Ok I just realised something.

UNSW did not place down my middle name in myUNSW.

Everything else has my middle name on it.

If I went to get my id done, would they be able to change it so that under their system they include my middle name?
You should contact UNSW before you head to FM Assist. I can't remember if it was this exact issue, but there were students who didn't have their middle/legal name on the system (since you are required to bring another form of legal identification), so they couldn't get their card done on that day.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
You should contact UNSW before you head to FM Assist. I can't remember if it was this exact issue, but there were students who didn't have their middle/legal name on the system (since you are required to bring another form of legal identification), so they couldn't get their card done on that day.
Alright will do.

But how would they change it without seeing the identification first?

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad

Yeah I've been interested in going on exchange but I want to fund it myself and I don't think I can make it with my current poor income :-( I hope it works out for you. I hear the application process is long and riveting.

reckon it'd be possible for <18s to sneak in?
They're pretty strict :-S I've never really bothered to go to any roundhouse parties. Maybe this will be my first one LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)