Prelim Subjects (1 Viewer)

marauder7

HSC
So just a question on subject selection, not scaling at all!
Basically I have a course in mind: Science/Law for uni.
But right now I'm tied between two subject combinations as I'm not sure which one I will do better in or enjoy or also which is the more relevant to the course I'm interested in.
So option one:
Physics, Economics, Chemistry, Ancient History (then drop physics)
Or option two:
Physics, Economics, Modern History, Ancient History (then drop either ancient/ or economics)

My strength is definitely in humanities, mainly history but I enjoy and more interested in science but most likely the one that uses more humanities skills: Physics or Chemistry?

So bump away please with any advise -- Cheers!
Also doing at least 3 unit English and mathematics

Examine

same
HSC
It doesn't matter. However, since the cutoff for law is so high at USyd and UNSW you are better off doing the subjects you perform better in.

Do you think your interest in science will allow you to surpass your performance in humanities (take into consideration the motivation to study for the subject)? If so go with the first option, if not go with the second.

EDIT: Actually there may be assumed knowledge for Science so check that out

Last edited:

marauder7

HSC
Well I'm trying to figure out which science uses more humanities based skills and content in accordance to other subjects.
Chem with ancient or Phys with Modern
My history is top: it's just the science and humanities together that I'm trying to figure out.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
to suit law/science you should be doing something like this
eng adv, eng ex1, legal, eco, physics, chem, math

marauder7

HSC
to suit law/science you should be doing something like this
eng adv, eng ex1, legal, eco, physics, chem, math
Which one would be more relevant or sensible to someone with strength in humanities ; Physics or Chem?

macrazy

HSC
Both physics and chem are very different to the humanities, as both involve quite a bit of calculations. I would say physics is slightly more mathematical based than chem but honestly you should be picking what you are going to enjoy more out of the two. Also check out the requirements for uni - a lot of science courses require two or more of the following subjects: math ext/chem/physics/bio/earth and environmental and often depends what you want to major in. That being said you can usually do a bridging course if you dont fulfill the requirements :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

enoilgam

HSC
Both physics and chem are very different to the humanities, as both involve quite a bit of calculations. I would say physics is slightly more mathematical based than chem but honestly you should be picking what you are going to enjoy more out of the two. Also check out the requirements for uni - a lot of science courses require two or more of the following subjects: math ext/chem/physics/bio/earth and environmental and often depends what you want to major in. That being said you can usually do a bridging course if you dont fulfill the requirements :)
This pretty much - it would be good to have an idea of what you want to major in first before picking out of Chemistry or Physics. To be honest, I'd go with the one you think you are best at and will enjoy the most. That will likely help your ATAR and probably relate to what you will end up doing at uni.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Which one would be more relevant or sensible to someone with strength in humanities ; Physics or Chem?
none tbh, both have no relation to humanities, chem is less math and more chemical equation/memorising, Physics is more math and more formula.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
It doesn't matter. However, since the cutoff for law is so high at USyd and UNSW you are better off doing the subjects you perform better in.

Do you think your interest in science will allow you to surpass your performance in humanities (take into consideration the motivation to study for the subject)? If so go with the first option, if not go with the second.
Sci/Law is always available at UTS as well :p

I'd think Chemistry but really... it doesn't matter.

Choose the science that you find more interesting or the one where you believe you'll do better in... maybe which one ''clicks'' better? - draw your experiences from Year 10 science (did the Chemistry topics suit you better or the Physics topics?)

People say Physics is more mathematical but in the long run, I think it's not that much more mathematical... like the mathematics needed is really simple so you should look at the actual ''science'' content of both Phys and Chem (rather than the mathematical skills needed) to figure out which one suits you better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)