O week - Faculty Welcome (1 Viewer)

motaba

HSC
Hello there,

I was wondering what happens at the faculty welcomes during O week, and how beneficial it would be to go. There are 2 workshops which I want to go to during that time and I was thinking of just skipping the welcome. Would I miss anything important?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
From my experience of the ASB and Law faculty welcome it's just them saying Hi and introducing the dean. E.g "welcome to unsw. Blah blah blah. We wish you all the best with your study."

Occasionally they will have a guest speaker

ifrit112

HSC
Nothing important in engineering.
Just a hello, and stuff...

Then they split you into whatever degree/school you are in (eg: Electrical & tele, CSE, Mining, etc) where you go to your respective school and get another talk from your head of school.
I just went to CSE one with a friend - there was free food, cakes and soft drinks.
They give you a BBQ after, where most people crash (just go in from the side, or hang around a group to go in for seconds).
You do meet a lot of people at O-week, but you never really see them again and if you do you won't remember :p.

Some of the workshops are quite good. Attendance for the welcome is quite low (maybe 20%) but mind you, that is still a LOT of people.

HSC
N/A
From my experience of the ASB and Law faculty welcome it's just them saying Hi and introducing the dean. E.g "welcome to unsw. Blah blah blah. We wish you all the best with your study."

Occasionally they will have a guest speaker
Hello i'm gonna go to those 2 but how the hell they take so long?! 3 hrs for ASB and 4 hours for law?! do u just sit there and listen for hours?!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think they include the lunch afterwards, or food or whatever it is. I highly doubt it's a 4 hour lecture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)