Year 11 2014 Chat :) (21 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Alright then, say for example, the quadratic formula. I remember it, and I know how to substitute the values in, but I don't get how you go from the equation to the formula.
Are you talking about subbing in the values and simplifying or ...?

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
Alright then, say for example, the quadratic formula. I remember it, and I know how to substitute the values in, but I don't get how you go from the equation to the formula.
I'm not explaining this properly. There are SOME formulas that just have to simply be remembered, generally the more simplistic formulas have to be remembered. However, some other concepts should be understood: i.e. Shifting functions, understanding maths is what is going to help you with problem solving where formulas won't be much of use:D

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Is this what you're talking about?

Hawkrider.PNG

OHHH I think I get what you're saying

It's because the quadratic formula is basically a rearrangement of the general form of an equation (i.e. ax^2 + bx + c = o) or it can be when you solve for x .

Last edited:

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I'm not explaining this properly. There are SOME formulas that just have to simply be remembered, generally the more simplistic formulas have to be remembered. However, some other concepts should be understood: i.e. Shifting functions, understanding maths is what is going to help you with problem solving where formulas won't be much of use:D
I see what you mean, but this is the crux of the problem for me. When I'm allocated the homework and I'm able to do it easily, I feel confident in my ability. However, come to exam time, I get trolled so hard by the questions even if they are slightly altered, because as you said, understanding will be beneficial in the long run. That's why I did shit in my 2U and 3U maths tests.

Are you talking about subbing in the values and simplifying or ...?
Nvm, dw.

Last edited:

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
I see what you mean, but this is the crux of the problem for me. When I'm allocated the homework and I'm able to do it easily, I feel confident I my ability. However, come to exam time, I get trolled so hard by the questions even if they are slightly altered, because as you said, understanding will be beneficial in the long run. That's why I did shit in my 2U and 3U maths tests.

Nvm, dw.
Hawk, experiment with different questions OUTSIDE of the textbook and your comfort zone. I use Cambridge 2U and it's a fairly good textbook, the challenge questions are definitely worthwhile doing. If you don't have the Cambridge textbook I'll give it to you at the seminar, I've only got 2U though :)

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
No what I'm saying is that the teachers expect you memorise the formulas, but I'm like, "screw that! I wanna know why that works!" But when I ask that question, they give me this perplexed look.
haha dw I feel you

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Is this your answer?:

It's because the quadratic formula is basically a rearrangement of the general form of an equation (i.e. ax^2 + bx + c = o) or it can be when you solve for x .

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Hawk, experiment with different questions OUTSIDE of the textbook and your comfort zone. I use Cambridge 2U and it's a fairly good textbook, the challenge questions are definitely worthwhile doing. If you don't have the Cambridge textbook I'll give it to you at the seminar, I've only got 2U though :)
Ah ok thanks! But don't you need it though?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Oh apologies for misinterpreting your question, I wasn't familiar with the term "rote-learning"

Now that I think about it I would classify myself as one, then again I'm trying to avoid doing so for the harder topics like Trig, which actually requires you to prove certain things

Generally speaking, I prefer rote-learning things that lack significance in comparison to the others topics

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
Oh apologies for misinterpreting your question, I wasn't familiar with the term "rote-learning"

Now that I think about it I would classify myself as one, then again I'm trying to avoid doing so for the harder topics like Trig, which actually requires you to prove certain things

Generally speaking, I prefer rote-learning things that lack significance in comparison to the others topics
Why are you apologising ?

Edit: I think you were just trying to be helpful just sayin

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Why are you apologising ?

Edit: I think you were just trying to be helpful just sayin
I just feel as if I struggle to understand what people are saying on BoS half the time, maybe I should leave and only come on to download past test papers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)