Questions on potentially doing B Design/Media(PR & Advertising) (2 Viewers)

lizmoogle

HSC
I'm considering doing Design/Media(PR&A) because I initially wanted to just do design, but I thought it would be of good value to do marketing as well. I've heard it's pretty competitive to get a job in the graphic design industry, which is where I'd like to potentially end up and thought that media might give me an edge (I think I'd like it too - I'm not just considering doing it for some sort of advantage when it comes to getting a job). However, I'm not really sure if it's really what I want. I'm not sure if I'd like to undertake doing a double degree in the first place, and I also don't get any free electives (I think) which sucks because not only was I planning to continue doing Japanese outside of the HSC, but the freedom seems nice.

The Design course at COFA seems really practical and hands on and broad due to the electives (which doesn't bother me a whole lot) although I'm not sure if it's really focused enough on what I want to do, hence I'm considering the double degree. I'm tossing up between this and Visual Communication at UTS, although the UTS ATAR is kind of crazy (I'm a pretty high achieving student I guess, but the only way I'd possibly be able to get in is through the EAS I think as I'm from a regional area).

I'm just kind of looking for some feedback on either courses, people who are doing a double degree or opinions from other people who are considering the same sort of career path. Feedback would be really appreciated because as you can probably tell, I'm kind of stumped :/

Thanks guys! :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm considering doing Design/Media(PR&A) because I initially wanted to just do design, but I thought it would be of good value to do marketing as well. I've heard it's pretty competitive to get a job in the graphic design industry, which is where I'd like to potentially end up and thought that media might give me an edge (I think I'd like it too - I'm not just considering doing it for some sort of advantage when it comes to getting a job). However, I'm not really sure if it's really what I want. I'm not sure if I'd like to undertake doing a double degree in the first place, and I also don't get any free electives (I think) which sucks because not only was I planning to continue doing Japanese outside of the HSC, but the freedom seems nice.

The Design course at COFA seems really practical and hands on and broad due to the electives (which doesn't bother me a whole lot) although I'm not sure if it's really focused enough on what I want to do, hence I'm considering the double degree. I'm tossing up between this and Visual Communication at UTS, although the UTS ATAR is kind of crazy (I'm a pretty high achieving student I guess, but the only way I'd possibly be able to get in is through the EAS I think as I'm from a regional area).

I'm just kind of looking for some feedback on either courses, people who are doing a double degree or opinions from other people who are considering the same sort of career path. Feedback would be really appreciated because as you can probably tell, I'm kind of stumped :/

Thanks guys! :)
You can do marketing in a Media degree? I think you can only study that in Commerce.

Anyway, I might be wrong about that.

To you, if you want to differentiate yourself and get a job in the graphic design industry, you should set yourself apart during uni. Supposing that is where you want to end up, I can say that the UNSW Arts Society currently has a shortage of graphic designers and they would ideally like to have a few more.

Now obviously you won't be at UNSW until at least 2015, and that vacancy may be filled by then, but that's the sort of thing that will definitely set you apart when you can say, "Oh btw guys, I was Head Designer for the UNSW Arts Society for x years".

That will set you apart, in a good way.

lizmoogle

HSC
You can do marketing in a Media degree? I think you can only study that in Commerce.
I have no idea, but here's what the handbook says about it I guess.

That's a really good point you brought up about societies - I wouldn't have thought of that. I just wonder if taking up the double degree is really what I want to do - the two seem like an interesting combination and would definitely compliment each other, but I'm not sure if I really need to undertake both courses. Hmm.

I don't really need to know exactly what degree I want to choose now obviously, but it's nice playing around with ideas of what I could potentially be doing in the future.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
I have no idea, but here's what the handbook says about it I guess.

That's a really good point you brought up about societies - I wouldn't have thought of that. I just wonder if taking up the double degree is really what I want to do - the two seem like an interesting combination and would definitely compliment each other, but I'm not sure if I really need to undertake both courses. Hmm.

I don't really need to know exactly what degree I want to choose now obviously, but it's nice playing around with ideas of what I could potentially be doing in the future.
no marketing is only available in a commerce degree,
the media degree focuses on public relation, advertising, media background plus electives like journalism, or media production.
If you want to have a marketing major, that is impossible. There is, however , MARK1012 as an intro marketing course, which is sadly only a small part towards the marketing studies.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)