Writing generic essays? (2 Viewers)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Well most people can't write a decent paragraph/essay of the top of their heads so go for it...

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
Could you give me advice on how you structured your essays to be adaptable as possible and things of that nature, would really appreciate it :)
not sure if good idea for Band 6 student to take advice from Band 4

Seriously I suggest you just back yourself. If you're worried about not being able to pull the same thing in exams, try practising under time to any number of different questions. Get them from past papers, teachers, friends, come up with them yourself. And do really stupid high-difficulty ones like "Discuss how setting and one character other than the protagonist depict the struggles of alienation in your entire Section A syllabus." If you can beat those under time, you can beat anything.

Before I started doing this, my results fluctuated between 20s to 14s. After I put in place a solid training regime (one essay a week, under time), my scores levelled out...to consistent 18-19 every time. School English Adv ranking rose from 30th to 5th, topped in trials, and...well, see sig.

You train like this, you will beat everyone else in your cohort. I have no doubt.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Also, to make your essays more "generic" just pick two or three ideas you think really encapsulate what the module says and write a really good series of paragraphs for those. Then see if you can adapt them well to other questions to test whether or not they're generic enough. Otherwise, just go with writing out the main ideas and techniques in dot-point form. :)
Does this work by picking these ideas thematically? I've been reading Hamlet generics then I look at past questions and I go "How the hell can your bs this "generic" to answer the question?"

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Does this work by picking these ideas thematically? I've been reading Hamlet generics then I look at past questions and I go "How the hell can your bs this "generic" to answer the question?"
Mod B us hard to generalise so dont unless you're doing speeches

iStudent

HSC
Mod B us hard to generalise so dont unless you're doing speeches
What makes speeches so special? Because I'm doing speeches. The flip side is that I have to memorise paragraphs for all 7 speeches :(

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Not to sound stupid or anything, how do you even write a generic essay?
Find like the very main points in the text and write a paragraph of BS to support it lol
And then write essay plans, etc to make sure its "generic" enough when it can be easily adapted

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
What makes speeches so special? Because I'm doing speeches. The flip side is that I have to memorise paragraphs for all 7 speeches :(
Well thank god they didn't specify last year. But really memorize one of the "longer" ones and one moderate one (ie not keating's). I did sadat and the tragedy one but I think I wrote about Keating in the assignment.... Can't remember.

But yeah don't memorize the whole 7 speeches but rather know what each one is about and bs it from there srs
or poetry
Yes or this, but not many people do that option lol

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I think Hamlet's fairly easy to mould to the questions...

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
this entire thread is evidence why the work:reward ratio for memorising and generic essays is simply not worth it.

seriously you are far better off focusing on understanding your text, memorising QUOTATIONS (and understanding how the different techniques operate in each), and getting a decent feel for each text's core ideas and messages overall.

no matter how hard you try to fit a square peg in a round hole, all you're going to get is a lot of chafing.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Bump...

can someone give tips on creating a generic essay on belonging (particularly in Skrzynecki)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)