Med @ uws - umat (1 Viewer)

eyyub

HSC
Just a bit of confusion with the undergrad med course at uws.

"Students applying for entry in 2009 were required to achieve a minimum ATAR threshold of 95.00 for non GWS applicants or 93.00 for GWS applicants"
ref: University of Western Sydney - Med Students Online ( under ATAR section)

the problem is on their actual website it says cut off is "ATAR 99.85"
ref: UWS: Bachelor of Medicine / Bachelor of Surgery / Bachelor of Arts. Is this a different course or something, if so whats the difference.

If the first reference is right, it also says that "In 2009, the UMAT cutoff to receive an interview was estimated to be 137.5"
does this mean you score:

s1: 22/44 (50%)
s2: 18/36 (50%)
s3: 15/30 (50%)

50 + 50 + 50 = 150 UMAT?
150 > 137.5 + TER of 93.05 = interview at UWS?
correct me if im wrong.

btw what kind of scores should i be getting with the face2face trials, any sort of idea ? and how come median cut off is ATAR 99.0??

thanks, really been stressing.

Last edited:

Danmiff

HSC
alright, the 99.85 cutoff is for the combined med degree, i.e. MBBS + the Bachelor in arts. - similar to the courses offered by USyd for those with 99.95 ATARs

the 93.00/95.00 cutoff on the other hand refers to simply the MBBS course.

now the UMAT score of 137.5 refers to a scaled mark out of 300. it is NOT a raw percentage. sadly, you cant just say that if you get half the questions right, you'll get 150 and be fine.

only the top 2-3% of candidates get above 200. a score of 137.5 (i'm guessing a lil here), would make you somewhere round the 60th percentile perhaps?

hope that helps,
and if it comes across as unclear, its cos i confused myself when i was writing it... sorry haha

eyyub

HSC
ah. do you know what kinds of marks i should be aiming for in the trial face2face papers?

S1: /44
S2: /36
S3: /30

Last edited:

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
137.5 refers to the scaled mark as ppl have said. however it is weighed:
section 1: 1
section 2: 1
section 3: 0.5
50 for each section doesnt mean getting 50% of the questions right. its just a mark based on the number of questions you get right and their difficulty.

so say you get scaled scores (60:60:50) for s 1, 2 and 3. your weighted would be 145. as far as i know the cutoff ATAR is 93.00 for GWS and 95.00 for non-GWS.

the MBBS/Arts is probably a new course because i have never heard of it before. so cant help you there.

diametric

HSC
So much misinformation and fail in this thread.

The ATAR cut-off for UWS is 95 for non-GWS applicants and 93 for GWS applicants. Once you have achieved this score, it no longer factors into whether you are offered a place at UWS for MBBS.

The 99.85 mentioned is indeed for the combined degree MBBS/Arts, which takes a total of 7 years. There are 10 interviews offered in this stream for a total of 3 places. If more than 10 people who make the cut-off of 99.85 apply, then the top 10 are selected by UMAT scores. Final offer is based solely on interview.

UWS uses a weighted UMAT score. The formula they use is:

S1 * 1 + S2 * 1 + S3 * 0.5

For example, my scores in the UMAT were 63, 56, and 62, respectively. Thus my weighted UMAT score for UWS would be:

63 + 56 + 62 * 0.5 (=31) = 150.

However, the UMAT cut offs for an interview invitation differ between GWS and non-GWS applicants. For an interview offer in 2009, the minimum weighted UMAT was 138.5 for GWS applicants. And for non-GWS applicants, the minimum weighted UMAT was 151.

Final selection is based, 1/3 on UMAT, 2/3 on interview, though this is subject to change.

It's a lot tougher to get into UWS MBBS with a bad UMAT score, as it plays quite a critical role.

seann_audrey

HSC
Hello! I am planning to do medicine next year at UWS and I'm confused about UMAT. If a kinda fail the UMAT should I do it again next year and be able to transfer to medicine for the following year? Because I'm planning to do BMedical Science just in case I wont make it to medicine and just transfer for the next year if it is possible.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Sounds like you should be able to do that, assuming you have the sufficient ATAR for it

umat

HSC
Hello could anyone help me by giving a predicted score (u dont have to be perfect) if i get these results in my umat test in 2014. I got:
S1: 28/48
S2: 23/44
S3: 32/42

Thnx for the help. Just post the predicted scores:)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Hello could anyone help me by giving a predicted score (u dont have to be perfect) if i get these results in my umat test in 2014. I got:
S1: 28/48
S2: 23/44
S3: 32/42

Thnx for the help. Just post the predicted scores:)
Roughly a weighted score of 143

bangladesh

HSC
Lol I just assumed the % of each section was a scaled mark and did the S1 + S2 + 1/2 S3
LOLLL no fucking way.
Unfortunately ACER does not release the marking scheme that is used determine UMAT scores. There is some speculation as to the following: answering a question correctly that is not answered correctly by the majority of UMAT candidates will be weighted more heavily. And conversely, answering a question incorrectly that most UMAT candidates do answer correctly, will be weighted more heavily against a candidate’s UMAT score. However, because ACER does not release the marking scheme or question weightings for the UMAT it is impossible to be absolutely certain of this. What is certain though, is the more questions you are able to answer correctly in each UMAT construct, the higher your UMAT score will be.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
LOLLL no fucking way.
Unfortunately ACER does not release the marking scheme that is used determine UMAT scores. There is some speculation as to the following: answering a question correctly that is not answered correctly by the majority of UMAT candidates will be weighted more heavily. And conversely, answering a question incorrectly that most UMAT candidates do answer correctly, will be weighted more heavily against a candidate’s UMAT score. However, because ACER does not release the marking scheme or question weightings for the UMAT it is impossible to be absolutely certain of this. What is certain though, is the more questions you are able to answer correctly in each UMAT construct, the higher your UMAT score will be.
Yeah I know that, jeez, relax.
That's why I said "roughly" and "assumed".

lolitaaa

HSC
J ,cgs dkugcskufgwekugf ugf.ewkufg keghvmcbfxv .ugrfiwktfriwaugfsgsudsgzzfcjhg xg vugsfkugewak.ugfwe.ufgewu umaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttttttt dfffffffffffffff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)