Gwen Harwood (1 Viewer)

success15

HSC
I am studying Gwen Harwood at the moment for year 11, can someone help me understand some things about her poems At Mornington, the Violets and Father and Child
- What ideas are presented about life?
- What ideas about innocence?
- What ideas about memory?

Thank you

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
Life- Transience, Innocence- Loss moving towards maturity, Memory- Immortality.

success15

HSC
Life- Transience, Innocence- Loss moving towards maturity, Memory- Immortality.
so you could say in a personal response that Harwood's poetry conveys the immortality of memory/memory is the key to link the past and present.
Would it be valid to argue that Harwood's poetry shows that memory enables one to cope with loss?

simplyinsanity

HSC
so you could say in a personal response that Harwood's poetry conveys the immortality of memory/memory is the key to link the past and present.
Would it be valid to argue that Harwood's poetry shows that memory enables one to cope with loss?
Tbh my memory of Gwen Harwood is a little fuzzy but I think these are both valid arguments.

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
yeh, in my essay i said something like... the memories allow reunion with childhood where perceptions of death and passing of time are not within one's understanding and hencce allowing cope with loss but comparatively with adulthood it forms a view of loss in itself i.e. loss of naivety with interrelation to the understanding of loss over time. Teacher said valid point so yeh.. But again dont count me on this one although its a personal response because I lack proficiency at all aspects of literature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)