Entry into Undergraduate Medicine - standard non-rural applicants from NSW (1 Viewer)

go_cadel

HSC
Take note that this info is for standard (i.e. applying in same year that you complete HSC), non-rural applicants. Applying for EAS or similar schemes will make attaining the required ATAR slightly easier. (but no effect on UMAT)

UNSW
Interview: based off predicted atar and umat. For standard metropolitan applicants you’d be looking at about 99+ predicted atar, and 90+ umat percentile. (to be safe) Second round: if predicted atar lower than actual, you may be offered.
Offer: atar/umat/interview all have equal weighting

UWS
Interview: meet atar threshold (95.50 for non-gws, 93.5 for gws), and the umat threshold.
prior to 2014: it was about 151 for non-gws, slightly lower for gws (using section 1:2:3 in 2:2:1 ratio)
2014: (2015 unknown, but probably be the same as 2014) - largely s1, s2 used, with a VERY small proportion of s3. If you sum S1 and S2, you'd need about 120-121ish for GWS, slightly higher for non-GWS
Offer: umat/interview in ratio 1:2

UNCLE
Interview: meet atar threshold (about 93), UMAT – meet 50/50/50, then rank by section 1 scores. (usually cut at around 60)
Offer: Interview only

Monash
Interview (2nd round only! - since we are interstate): based off atar and UMAT. UMAT – need 50/50/50 for consideration. Looking at around 93-94 percentile
Offer: atar/umat/interview all have equal weighting

UQ (provisional entry)
No interview
Offer: meet OP1 (99.1+ ATAR), and UMAT overall. (in previous years, has been around 180 for unbonded, though in 2012 it was 188)

Griffith (provisional entry)
No interview
Offer: ATAR only, for 2014 it was 99.5+, previous years 99.6+. Aim for 99.6 to be safe

University of Adelaide
Interview, first round: meet atar threshold (90), then rank by UMAT (for 2014 cut was about 95 percentile)
Second round: UMAT : ATAR in 1:2 ratio
Offer: 1:2:2, UMAT:ATAR:INTERVIEW

Flinders
No Interview
Offer: 90% ATAR, UMAT 10% (need 99.9 ATAR for a solid chance)

JCU
Interview: based off application form + predicted atar (99+ usually)
Offer: based off atar + interview + application form (unknown weighting)

UTAS
No interview
Offer: for interstate, normally need 100 percentile UMAT.

USYD (provisional entry)
Interview: must get 99.95
Offer: select 30 students (interview is normally just for confirmation purposes)

Last edited:

Fiction

HSC
Thanks for compiling this list :)
Was there one for USYD as well? Combined degree med, no UMAT consideration but ATAR requirement = 99. (95 i think but could be slightly lower)

photastic

HSC
Was there one for USYD as well? Combined degree med, no UMAT consideration but ATAR requirement = 99. (95 i think but could be slightly lower)
Usyd considers 99.95 atar and interview, no umat.

go_cadel

HSC
Yep, forgot about that, thanks.

emilios

HSC
Am I missing something with Griffith? I know its a 2 year MedSci Course where you need a credit average in order to progress to the Med degree, but what's stopping everyone from getting in? Surely they'll be hundreds of students with 99.6+ ATARs that apply, what's going to differentiate them?

iStudent

HSC
Can you include info on UWA and the uni in northern territory? (forgot name)
Also, don't they offer bonus points for UQ med? Do you know which subjects count?

iStudent

HSC
Haha seems like UQ is the only hope for me :(
I know I'm bad at interviews I just do :'(

bangladesh

HSC
hahah i was going to do this. Thanks a lot for compiling it. I'll do a complete version for standard and non-standard when my exams are over

iStudent

HSC
Yey 2 bonus points just for doing 4u. UQ and just UQ seems to be the one I'm going to next year :/

emilios

HSC
^^Ummmm are we absolutely sure last years UWS (GWS) weighted was 137.5? That's abnormally low (yes I know its a 1:1:0.5 ratio), meaning that even me, a 69th%iler would get an interview. Seems unlikely.

go_cadel

HSC
that table is from 2011. entry requirements have changed slightly since then

iStudent

HSC
^^Ummmm are we absolutely sure last years UWS (GWS) weighted was 137.5? That's abnormally low (yes I know its a 1:1:0.5 ratio), meaning that even me, a 69th%iler would get an interview. Seems unlikely.
According to MedEntry, GWS: 152 Non-GWS: 154.5
... aaand I'm just under with 151 (as a GWS). gg

emilios

HSC
According to MedEntry, GWS: 152 Non-GWS: 154.5
... aaand I'm just under with 151 (as a GWS). gg
Wth didn't you get 95th%ile? Man this is ridiculous. Nothing else even gets as close to med in terms of barriers and hurdles.

iStudent

HSC
Wth didn't you get 95th%ile? Man this is ridiculous. Nothing else even gets as close to med in terms of barriers and hurdles.
Yea my strongest section (s3) happened to be the one that has half weighting. I have to agree. Courses like law seems to be really difficult to get into but honestly with bonus points it's not that hard. Medicine on the other hand... -.-'

emilios

HSC
Yea my strongest section (s3) happened to be the one that has half weighting. I have to agree. Courses like law seems to be really difficult to get into but honestly with bonus points it's not that hard. Medicine on the other hand... -.-'
Yeah nah law is a breeze to get into compared to med. I know 20+ people studying law and exactly 0 studying med. Even though the ATAR cutoffs are inflated for law, you see a lot of transfers happening for people that didn't get in initially, or got into say UTS, MQ or UWS. I wonder if med in other countries are this hard to get into?

ThatHSCKid

HSC
I'm thinking about two options, undergraduate at UNSW or med-sci at Sydney and postgraduate medicine. Unfortunately, my UMAT was a bit (actually a lot) lower than I was hoping for. Do you think it's possible to get in with an 82nd percentile and a 99+ ATAR? If not a 99+, how high would I have to go to get in?

Edit: Does anyone know if USYD offer entry into the double medicine program for extremely high achieving students during university?
Actually, UNSW offers an alternate entry path: http://med.unsw.edu.au/frequently-asked-questions-local-rural under "Can I gain admission after partly completing or completing another undergraduate degree?" Do you think if I was to get a HD average in first year and an ATAR of ~99, that would be enough for entry? Do I still have to sit the UMAT for this form of entry?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)