General Thoughts: Ancient History (1 Viewer)

chenny101

HSC
Hey guys for hatshepsut I wrote about religious policies, building programs and how they continued to exist even after her death as well as Punt. Is that right?

btukin

HSC
N/A
Can't remember exactly but from memory I wrote:
A.) Fresco
B.) Impulvium
C.) Fish Sauce NOT fish stew
D.) Hot food/snacks
E.) Something about the Imperial Cult, events taking place outside of temple?
F.) Chief magistrates had duty for games
For A) I said Mosiac?! I swear the little tiles made it a mosaic.. hahaha
and for F) I said wealthy people could do what they wanted with their money.. because it didn't actually say they were magistrates but that they were sons of the duumvirs. Although I probably am wrong! :(

jer3m

HSC
N/A
a) The answer was mosaic NOT FRESCO
b) Impluvium
c) Fermented Fish Sauce
d) Cutting the things up - this is the one people had mixed opinions on, its either that or hot food/snacks (my class had a discussion after the exam)
e) Some Cult activity took place outside temples
f) Chief magistrates had duties for the games

Technology in Sparta can be a lot of things, bronzework or metalwork for shields/spears, chariots, coating iron bars with vinegar, etc
And yeh the alcman question was crap, wrote about 10 lines about how the Spartans didn't write much so alcman was important in helping us understand what they were like but I never referred to what he wrote or what he did. Maybe 2/3 marks with a decent marker.

Curious as the what people on here wrote about the Greek influence on Pompeii and Herculaneum, was it on the lines of acting originated from Greece, they were wearing white togas as worn in Greece, acting out a Greek scene..etc.

Hatshepsut part a was decent, part b was terrible because you don't understand if its just about legacy in regard to Punt or everything in her reign so I just wrote about everything she did.

New Kingdom to Thut IV question b wasn't bad either. Just talk about Egypt building an empire to the north Syria Palestine region (hyksos) and in Nubia to the south. Went through each pharoah from Khamose - Thut III and explained their significance in building the empire. Can write about how Hatshepsut helped build the empire through Punt as well even though its not directly asked in the question. Reunification and imperialism is not just about military campaigns and pushing borders wider but also building the empire from within as this extends a countries power and influence. Punt brought new technology, trading routes, economic benefits which then would have helped with the imperialism. That and I wanted to do 4 pages which I just managed before time.

jer3m

HSC
N/A
Hello so what did u write about for hatshepsut part b
What you did was right. They can't expect you do a 15 marker with only using Punt to show her legacy. To get full marks or close you would need to talk about other parts of her legacy such as her buildings ( mortuary temple at Deir El Bahri), her minor military campaigns, can talk about how she became pharaoh and the message she wanted to leave behind, then can conclude with Thut III attempting to erase her legacy from history. I'd say about 2-4 pages is a good length for this response.

chenny101

HSC
What you did was right. They can't expect you do a 15 marker with only using Punt to show her legacy. To get full marks or close you would need to talk about other parts of her legacy such as her buildings ( mortuary temple at Deir El Bahri), her minor military campaigns, can talk about how she became pharaoh and the message she wanted to leave behind, then can conclude with Thut III attempting to erase her legacy from history. I'd say about 2-4 pages is a good length for this response.
ok thank you so much!

sheldogge

HSC
b) Impluvium
c) Fermented Fish Sauce
d) Cutting the things up - this is the one people had mixed opinions on, its either that or hot food/snacks (my class had a discussion after the exam)

Technology in Sparta can be a lot of things, bronzework or metalwork for shields/spears, chariots, coating iron bars with vinegar, etc
And yeh the alcman question was crap, wrote about 10 lines about how the Spartans didn't write much so alcman was important in helping us understand what they were like but I never referred to what he wrote or what he did. Maybe 2/3 marks with a decent marker.

Curious as the what people on here wrote about the Greek influence on Pompeii and Herculaneum, was it on the lines of acting originated from Greece, they were wearing white togas as worn in Greece, acting out a Greek scene..etc.

Hatshepsut part a was decent, part b was terrible because you don't understand if its just about legacy in regard to Punt or everything in her reign so I just wrote about everything she did.

New Kingdom to Thut IV question b wasn't bad either. Just talk about Egypt building an empire to the north Syria Palestine region (hyksos) and in Nubia to the south. Went through each pharoah from Khamose - Thut III and explained their significance in building the empire. Can write about how Hatshepsut helped build the empire through Punt as well even though its not directly asked in the question. Reunification and imperialism is not just about military campaigns and pushing borders wider but also building the empire from within as this extends a countries power and influence. Punt brought new technology, trading routes, economic benefits which then would have helped with the imperialism. That and I wanted to do 4 pages which I just managed before time.

As i said, I could't quite remember. I put mosaic down haha, I don't even think Frescoe was an option? just me being retarded and not remembering. But it was for storying hot food, that is specifally what thermpolia are premised upon, Did a massive reserach task which featured them in term 1 and actually went to Pompeii last year, in which the tour guide specifally informed me what they were for. Defs not for cutting up food hahaa

anguyenh

HSC
Moving on, can people tell me what the Julius Caesar and Fall of the Roman Republic questions were?
Fall of the Republic:
a) Evaluate the significance of the Mithridatic and Parthian Wars.
b) To what extent were the activities of the First and Second Triumvirate similar?

Caesar:
a) Describe the reforms of Julius Caesar. [10]
b) "Not only did he accept excessive honours, such as life-consulship, a life-dictatorship, a perpetual Censorship, the title 'Imperator' put before his name, and the title 'Father of his Country' appended to it... but took other honours which, as a mere mortal, he should certainly have refused."
Suetonius, Julius Caesar 76

To what extent is the above quotation useful in assessing the legacy of Julius Caesar? Refer to other sources in your answer. [15]

What were the options for Augustus? :)
To what extent did Augustus face opposition during this period?

Why was the building program in Rome during this period important to Augustus?

Krenkhouse

HSC
b) Impluvium
c) Fermented Fish Sauce

Pretty sure that MC question E) answer was about feasts. It mentions nothing about anything being held outside. First of all the inscription is "Located in the 'College of the Augustales' and secondly the only thing mentioned in the source is the importance of feasts.

Focus is Key

HSC
Fall of the Republic:
b) To what extent were the activities of the First and Second Triumvirate similar?

Caesar:
b) "Not only did he accept excessive honours, such as life-consulship, a life-dictatorship, a perpetual Censorship, the title 'Imperator' put before his name, and the title 'Father of his Country' appended to it... but took other honours which, as a mere mortal, he should certainly have refused."

To what extent is the above quotation useful in assessing the legacy of Julius Caesar? Refer to other sources in your answer. [15]

Yeah much easier than last year- would have done the building progs for sure cause I knew heaps about that

jer3m

HSC
N/A
Perhaps, do you remember the question? I do know remember something about the college of augustales but nothing else, does anyone else remember the question/answer?

miss study

HSC
Oh man I thought that since it referred to punt in the quote them it would've been exclusively to that :( I thought about doing everything... why did they even have to mention punt :cry:
there's some marks off.....

... how many marks can I possibly get then :/... wrote about 3 pages

Last edited:

jer3m

HSC
N/A
Oh man I thought that since it referred to punt in the quote them it would've been exclusively to that :( I thought about doing everything... why did they even have to mention punt :cry:
there's some marks off.....

... how many marks can I possibly get then :/... wrote about 3 pages
If you wrote 3 pages just about Punt and her legacy that's really good. I'd say you could still get really good marks since the question was sort so poorly worded no one I talked to knew if they should just do Punt or everything in her legacy. I don't see why you can't get around a 12/15. 3 pages is a good amount.

juliaspyrou

HSC
YES OMG THE GREEK WORLD AND XERXES questions I was cheering!!!
Sparta questions were quite good, except some people in my year didn't know who Alcman was lol (he wrote the "Maiden Songs" about nature of Sparta)
And I liked Pompeii and Herculaneum they were easy and straightforward. Even if you didn't know about Italian and international contributions (10 marks), there were 3 sources that you could bullshit your way through hahahahaha

Tink

HSC
b) Impluvium
c) Fermented Fish Sauce
Pretty sure 'D' was hot food/snacks. The dola were all for keeping things warm so ancient Romans could eat their takeaway hot.

ShadowLighte

HSC
Failed the Sparta section. That much I know.
Everything else was just meh.
Welp

Bbear29

HSC
I got you man, I did both of these

Hannibal question A

it was either describe or explain Hannibal's military strategies

the B question was actually huge head curve ball they gave us the following quote from Cornelius Nepos (we had never heard of him either)

and it went roughly like this "Hannibal exceeded all other commanders in skill just as the Roman people exceed every others people in bravery"

then the B question was asses the usefulness of the quotation above in determining the legacy of Hannibal

for the historical period there was no quote that we had to intergrate just two questions to choose from

Asses the impact and influence of Hellensim on Rome during this period

and

Explain the roles and significance of Scipio Africanus and Cato the Censor

Bbear29

HSC
What questions for hannibal and rome264-133 bc this year out of curiosity?

Hannibal question A

the B question was actually huge head curve ball they gave us the following quote from Cornelius Nepos (we had never heard of him either)

and it went roughly like this "Hannibal exceeded all other commanders in skill just as the Roman people exceed every others people in bravery"

then the B question was asses the usefulness of the quotation above in determining the legacy of Hannibal

for the historical period there was no quote that we had to intergrate just two questions to choose from

and

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad

Hannibal question A

and

ahh thanks hannibal seems straight forward again, for section D i probably wouldve done roles/significance of scipio and cato, cause if iremember my teacher said hard to write a good essay just for hellenism

Kirra_weimer

HSC
Fall of the Republic:

Caesar:

Does anyone have an answer for: To what extent were the activities of the First and Second Triumvirate similar?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)