HSC Marker admits that some markers only read intro of essay!? (1 Viewer)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
I was at a HSC lecture for English, and the lecturer who is also a HSC marker admitted that although she hates to admit it, some markers determine the mark they are already going to give you from your introduction of your essay.

There are already so many restrictions in the english hsc like don't use a text already in the syllabus, don't write in first person, do/ or don't include critics.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
I was at a HSC lecture for English, and the lecturer who is also a HSC marker admitted that although she hates to admit it, some markers determine the mark they are already going to give you from your introduction of your essay.

There are already so many restrictions in the english hsc like don't use a text already in the syllabus, don't write in first person, do/ or don't include critics.
If this was actually true i think i'd get an exam mark of like 60 instead of 85. Prime Waffling master race.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
That's fair enough . Essays intro are like CVs. The introduction often determines the quality of the essay and I will judge an essay by an intro when I mark it. I will usually read it all but I will mark it on how the intro addresses the question, how it shows the marker what the writer's stance on the question is( agree / disagree,discuss etc) and what proof will the writer be proving it in the body paragraphs. Basically the the intro is your essay answer and is enough to show you understand and the proof(outlined in the intro) follows in the body paragraphs.

Examples available

dirty_ink

HSC
Not surprised tbh. Some English teachers who have had experience marking HSC papers have mentioned this. I guess that's why they harp on about the importance of an essay introduction.

screwuhsc

HSC
thats is true but so unfair u have the be fair to every1 i dont get the markers attitude they should be lenient and fair as they are playing with an individuals life.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
agree about being fair but the introduction should be the most relevant part of your answer . you answer the question in your introduction not in the body paragraphs

Kaido

be.
HSC
We live in a world where money>year 12 kids essays that is full of bs and the unlikely occurrence of a sophisticated essay
Thus, the intro says it all...

(Just jk, but this may be true)

Flop21

HSC
Good lol.

Then all I need to do is make a bangin intro

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Apparently the markers get paid per essay they mark, so if they just read intros, they can get through more in a given time frame, and hence get paid more.

enoilgam

HSC

I dont know why it's an admission to be honest, the opening paragraph is a fairly good indicator of how well a person understands the subject matter and essay writing.

Kaido

be.
HSC
Apparently the markers get paid per essay they mark, so if they just read intros, they can get through more in a given time frame, and hence get paid more.
Yup, teachers be sneaky >.>

Silly Sausage

HSC
Yeah that's pretty much what every English teacher I've had for yr 11,12 who have marked said. They say they read your thesis+intro, topic sentences then just quickly skim through the rest since they all have so much to mark. Plus, it really is the intro the markers mainly use to determine if and how you've answered the question (or not). Hence, a lot of them say it's better to have a good intro which is followed by a mediocre essay than a mediocre/crap thesis followed by a half-decent argument since one of the first things they do when reading your response is to put your essay in a "mark range" e.g. A,B, etc. Thus, many of them say it's advantageous to have a good thesis because if you stuff up your argument it would probably be less detrimental to your essay then if you have a bad thesis+argument since you've already given the marker a good first impression.
Don't take this from me as I have only heard from this from ex-markers and may not apply to every case.

HSC
I think hsc markers don't care. It's only people who give you feedback so you can improve, who reads the whole thing and annotate

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As an HSC marker of over 20 years (not in English though) I find this assertion rather disturbing. In MH we read EVERYTHING and mark on the overall work not just the start and I can't imagine English markers being any different.

Now that markers are being marker per script at home there could be a concern but...there is a maximum number of scripts a marker can mark a day to prevent them going too fast AND if they are marking too fast they will be contacted and asked to explain themselves. For MH essays in 2014 the maximum a person could mark a night was 90 and on a Saturday or Sunday 150. Once that number is reached your are automatically locked out. These numbers are set on the highest numbers people were marking during the 4/7 hour sessions in the past.

Last edited:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad

the question is how well can they tell whether the person just waffled off?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)