• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2015 MX2 Marathon (archive) (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekman

HSC
Re: HSC 2015 4U Marathon

In hsc, they dont expect you to algebraically prove this locus type q.
this is one of those geometrical locus :D
In a geometrical sense, I drew up z+2 and z-2, and their intersection point. Thus utilizing the given formula I was able to prove that points z+2, z-2 and the intersection point are points on an isosceles triangle. Since z+2 and z-2 are equidistant from the origin the point of intersection is on the imaginary axis, thus as z varies, the point of intersection will have the locus of the imaginary axis, as long as it satisfies the formula given.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC

how did you get to that root lol
Im guessing you havnt done estimation of roots yet?
Newtons method of approximating roots

if you sub in a random value (usually close to the root) you get an estimation of the root and you sub it in as a and keep doing this untill you get a value and that value was what i got as you see when you sub in the value into the equation

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

How do you know for sure that the SP you approximated is the one that yields the maximal function value? The polynomial is of degree 6 so could have up to 5 stationary points, three of which could be maximum stationary points.

Kaido

be.
HSC

As Carrot stated.
Also, to get to that degree of accuracy, surely theres a more efficient method o.o

Drsoccerball

HSC

How do you know for sure that the SP you approximated is the one that yields the maximal function value? The polynomial is of degree 6 so could have up to 5 stationary points, three of which could be maximum stationary points.
Testing points it never passes 0 again

Drsoccerball

HSC

Diferenciate F'(x) and find the turning points and prove that they're all below or above the axis (if there is turning points)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Testing points it never passes 0 again
You are an Extension 2 student, and you think that 'testing points' constitutes as a proof?

Diferenciate F'(x) and find the turning points and prove that they're all below or above the axis (if there is turning points)
How will the second derivative help with determining the location of the turning points?

Drsoccerball

HSC

You are an Extension 2 student, and you think that 'testing points' constitutes as a proof?

How will the second derivative help with determining the location of the turning points?
I was joking about testing points:L
And for the double derivative if we can prove that all thr turning poinrs are under over the x axis it only intercepts once? Notsure

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

And for the double derivative if we can prove that all thr turning poinrs are under over the x axis it only intercepts once? Notsure
I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't understand how you intended to use the double derivative to acquire what you want to acquire.

Also, the turning points don't have to be under the x axis in order for the poly to have a maximal value less than 1. What if the function values were say 0.7, 0.5, 0.3 etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)