HSC 2015 MX2 Integration Marathon (archive) (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanieg89

HSC
Re: MX2 2015 Integration Marathon

Here is a question that concerns inequalities arising from integration. (It is harder conceptually than most questions in this thread, but easier than a lot of them in terms of how technically demanding the required manipulations are.)

(This integral clearly blows up as approaches the unit circle. The point of the question is to quantify how quickly this happens, which is generally a useful thing to know.)
I should clarify that you need to prove the existence of constants such that these inequalities hold for ALL z not on the unit circle. Your constants cannot depend on z themselves! (Otherwise these inequalities don't really tell you how fast the integral grows without knowing how C1 and C2 grow).

If you find it too hard to spot the clever idea that I think is necessary to prove this result, then you can try proving a weaker upper and lower bound.

Ie. Find an upper bound and a lower bound for this integral of the forms and improve these as much as you can. You don't need to find explicit values for the constants, the functions are the important part.

(It should be clear that the integral only depends on |z|.)

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Here is a question that concerns inequalities arising from integration. (It is harder conceptually than most questions in this thread, but easier than a lot of them in terms of how technically demanding the required manipulations are.)

(This integral clearly blows up as approaches the unit circle. The point of the question is to quantify how quickly this happens, which is generally a useful thing to know.)
Note sure if this makes any progress.

We want to show that there exist constants independent of z such that

Let

By the reverse triangle inequality (), we have

which implies

so is suitable.

seanieg89

HSC

Note sure if this makes any progress.

We want to show that there exist constants independent of z such that

Let

By the reverse triangle inequality (), we have

which implies

so is suitable.
Yep, so this establishes the upper bound.

Geometrically this is the same as noting that we are really integrating around the unit circle, and our integrand is maximised at the point on the unit circle closest to z, then replacing the whole integrand by this upper bound.

Now try the lower bound (this is the more delicate half as you might have gathered.)

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad

Bump. Can a 2015er solve this?
Yes, it is a standard recurrence question that may require a trick or two to solve, but is probably one of the more easier recurrence questions I have seen. There are definitely much harder ones out there.

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad

EASIER RECURRENCE Q:

Last edited:

Ekman

HSC

Yes, it is a standard recurrence question that may require a trick or two to solve, but is probably one of the more easier recurrence questions I have seen. There are definitely much harder ones out there.
I know a 2015er can solve this, I just wanted to see more solutions by 2015ers on this marathon. Btw an alternate method to your question is to split the (1-x^3)^n into (1-x^3)^(n-1) * (1-x^3). Then you expand and use IBP once to get your final solution.

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad

I know a 2015er can solve this, I just wanted to see more solutions by 2015ers on this marathon. Btw an alternate method to your question is to split the (1-x^3)^n into (1-x^3)^(n-1) * (1-x^3). Then you expand and use IBP once to get your final solution.
Lol my bad, I misinterpreted your question.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I always get stuck wheb doing recurrence i got to :
The common trick to use for these recurrence questions is to now expand the integrand like this:

(writing the as – this is the key step)

(expanding)

(using index laws)

Last edited:

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad

Yeah it should definitely be
spent so much time D: eventually did a random value and subbed it into wolfram so it has to be n+1 not n+2
I don't know why, I always make some stupid typo when typing up these questions :(

Ekman

HSC

Here's another recurrence question:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)