UMAT 2015 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Dennis1348

HSC
N/A
Medentry wouldn't really have prepared you for this test.

S3 was alot different compared to it lmao

Dennis1348

HSC
N/A
Does anyone remember the CAS number question? The one with all the 2s

What was the answer for that question? I calculated that it coulnd't be 2, but that either 0 or 5 would work fine? (but there was no option for that?)

Otherwise, this year felt a bit different to the past few. S3 was a lot harder than before, had to completely guess 5-7, possibly even more (and last year I probably only had to guess 1-2; ended up with 72). S1 was fairly straightforward, and S2 was a bit more difficult than I expected but nothing too wild.

Hope everyone goes well!
Looks like you smashed it then.

enoilgam

HSC
Lol Yes.

I don't think I can link anything.

But these thread titles should give you a clue:

"Acer Anti-Medentry?"

"Did Acer attack Medentry with this year's UMAT?"

"Section 3??"
I dont see why people are complaining, ACER makes it very clear that they don't endorse any external tutoring companies. Besides, I never found Medentry to be a very close match to the UMAT. I mean, it's good practice but the actual UMAT is a bit different. Just too many people not understanding what those tutoring colleges can/cannot offer.

whatdoitypehere

HSC
However, I think too much emphasis is placed on the UMAT as a whole, especially considering that ATAR/UMAT are used to determine who proceeds to interview. This alienates a range of applicants who may have many other key attributes. Adding an essay component or considering a candidate's CV in conjunction to UMAT/ATAR would provide a more holistic view of candidates prior to interview, which is what the process lacks at the moment.
Top thesis; I r8 8/8, m8.

Andrew98

HSC
What were the patterns you guys figured out for section 3 weird questions? I was so stuck fml.

m_wahwah

HSC
N/A
can someone explain why the house painter was naively optimistic?
She was optimistically thinking that she and her husband(?) were finally getting along on a project, but she was naive in that they actually werent getting along - they were painting different patterns

m_wahwah

HSC
N/A
What were the patterns you guys figured out for section 3 weird questions? I was so stuck fml.
One pattern they used often, for the pick the middle questions, where there were squares that had 4 shapes in them: Between each two squares, the shapes inside would rotate clockwise one position, then each time a shape reached a certain spot (eg the top left quarter of the square), it would change to a new shape. You had to figure out the two shapes that went on the ends of the sequence then you could find the pattern.

For the matrix questions with the arrows pointing outwards from a shape in the middle, where you had to figure out the missing shape: its kind of difficult to explain but Ill try. You see how the arrows pointed to, for example, a white circle, then a black circle, then a final image that was similar to the middle image? The circles en route to the final image indicated the changes made, so for example if there was a white circle, that meant the central image was flipped horizontally, and the black circle meant the colours were inversed, so in the final outside image you'd have one similar to the middle image, but flipped and with the colours inversed. You had to look at the outer images theyd given you, to find what changes were made from each circle.

Last edited:

Andrew98

HSC
oh ok thanks m_wahwah. Which ones/how many did you struggle with? or were they all g for you

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
One pattern they used often: in the pick the middle questions with the squares that had 4 shapes in them. Between each two squares, the shapes inside would rotate clockwise one position, then each time a shape reached a spot (eg the top left quarter of the square), it would change to a new shape. You had to figure out the two shapes that went on the ends then you could find the pattern.

For the matrix questions with the arrows pointing outwards from a shape in the middle, and you had to figure out the missing shape. Its kind of difficult to explain but Ill try. You see how the arrows pointed to, for example, a white circle, then a black circle, then a final image that was similar to the middle image? The circles en route to the final image indicated the changes made, so for example if there was a white circle, then the central image was flipped horizontally, and the black circle meant the colours were inversed, so in the final outside image you'd have one similar to the one in the middle, but flipped and with the colours inversed. You had to look at the outer images theyd given you to find what changes were made from each circle.
Wow. Solid explanation man.

deboiz

HSC
Most people i talk to said yeah s3 was hard, and a majority of them didn't finish on time anywhere from like 5-15 questions guessed. I felt it was a good test, there was no way you couldve prepped for that. Like m_wahwah described there did seem to be a pattern to the section 3 questions tbh, sorta gives the test some personality. You guys prob all did fine, i reckon majority of people guessed 20+ questions

m_wahwah

HSC
N/A
oh ok thanks m_wahwah. Which ones/how many did you struggle with? or were they all g for you
Tbh i felt fairly good with section 3. There were a few where I has to guess between 2/3 options but most were fine. Section 2 tho, Im not feeling too confident. I wasnt really sure of a lot of answers from that section, but we'll see how it goes. Im happy I managed to get through everything without guessing though, finished the test with around 30 seconds left.

iStudent

HSC
Tbh i felt fairly good with section 3. There were a few where I has to guess between 2/3 options but most were fine. Section 2 tho, Im not feeling too confident. I wasnt really sure of a lot of answers from that section, but we'll see how it goes. Im happy I managed to get through everything without guessing though, finished the test with around 30 seconds left.
You seem pretty set for UMAT. If you got through everything in time (without guessing every question), you probably did better than most people... (and be competitive for med umat wise :D)

bangladesh

HSC
I dont see why people are complaining, ACER makes it very clear that they don't endorse any external tutoring companies. Besides, I never found Medentry to be a very close match to the UMAT. I mean, it's good practice but the actual UMAT is a bit different. Just too many people not understanding what those tutoring colleges can/cannot offer.
I dont know when you have sat the umat but your opinion seems to be quite outdated. For the past 2 years, medentry prep material was fairly close to the umat itself. I managed to go from 67-91%ile by simply getting their distant package and doing all their exam. Section 3 specially... I was only unsure about 2 questions when I sat the umat and figured out the patterns to all the other s3 questions and that was with the help of techniques I learnt from medentry. I did get like 98%ile for section 3 so I know that I figured out the patterns right..

enoilgam

HSC
I dont know when you have sat the umat but your opinion seems to be quite outdated. For the past 2 years, medentry prep material was fairly close to the umat itself. I managed to go from 67-91%ile by simply getting their distant package and doing all their exam. Section 3 specially... I was only unsure about 2 questions when I sat the umat and figured out the patterns to all the other s3 questions and that was with the help of techniques I learnt from medentry. I did get like 98%ile for section 3 so I know that I figured out the patterns right..
I did it pretty recent, although admittedly I have never done well in it. It's not that I found Medentry useless, I just didnt find it as useful as people made out. Medentry is definitely more helpful for section three, but I found the ACER papers more helpful when it came to improving there. I almost tripled my score in s3 over the years and I definitely think the ACER papers helped more. That being said, my skill level went from no idea to very good, whereas I think Medentry is optimised to help people go from very good to great.

bangladesh

HSC
I did it pretty recent, although admittedly I have never done well in it. It's not that I found Medentry useless, I just didnt find it as useful as people made out. Medentry is definitely more helpful for section three, but I found the ACER papers more helpful when it came to improving there. I almost tripled my score in s3 over the years and I definitely think the ACER papers helped more. That being said, my skill level went from no idea to very good, whereas I think Medentry is optimised to help people go from very good to great.
fair call

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)