Is it true what they say? (1 Viewer)

rafall

HSC
N/A
Hello everyone,

So i'm a year 12 student and applied for law at uts. However, i'm not sure what to combine it with. I'm thinking
of IT or journalism, what do you think is better? Can you give me some info about both if you know anything :)

Also, I want to ask about what I heard from people. They told me that finding jobs related to law is becoming harder and harder and you may end up in an old office just doing thousands of papers. Now this depresses me tbh, like i love law and i wanna be good at it. But i don't wanna end up being a person who only does boring papers nothing else. Yes i know it is mostly doing papers but can't i go to court as a solicitor? can't i fight for justice and solve problems?
I don't want any person to tell me what society thinks, I want someone to tell me info from their real experience or from an experience of a person that they know.

I really appreciate your time and thanks in advance. :)

P.s if i have any grammar issues sorry about that, i'm still improving my English :) and yes i know i need to be proficient at English in order to do law, i will try hard to improve it as much as i can.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Firstly; No you're probably not going to get a job in a mid-top tier firm practicing law unless you've always been top shit and you'll probably be top shit at uni also or you have friends/your family working in law/and they know one of the partners personally there.

Even small-tiers are hard enough to get into, and the work is there is different.

Seriously though; You need good extra-circular and above all, good marks...
The rest...someone else can fill in , cause I can't be bothered answering these threads anymore.

To answer the question - my friend working at top tier works many many late nights when they have a case and by my interpretation he does lots and lots of research (finding cases,laws etc.) and basically lots of documentation that I forgot the names of..Subpoenas,contracts etc..In addition to doing lots of documentation you have to interpret and check documentation over and over and see if there's any mistakes,loopholes etc..

Last edited:

rafall

HSC
N/A
i don't really think i will do IT, maybe journalism :/

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The reality is that most people who study law do not become lawyers. Simple as that.

You need to decide what you actually want to do with your law degree - admittedly the skillset and behaviours you pick up from studying law will be useful in many situations and career paths enabling you to differentiate yourself from others by simply having a different perspective, you need to work out what you want to use it for.

That all being said, if you don't like lots of papers or reading, I don't think it is for you. What might be a worthwhile endeavour for you is to consider alternate ways to get to what you want to actually 'do'.

If you like the idea of 'fighting for justice', then there are plenty of other jobs you can take on which may not even require a law background and may even pay better. Off the top of my head, lobbyist/activist comes to mind (I have a friend who does this and earns a lot - but he's very well spoken and good at it). If you only want to 'solve problems' then it depends on the type of problems but that's why they have everything from management consultants to arbitrators/mediators...

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol it looks like everything has no jobs these days :/
Think the problem is not just confined to the legal sector... It is universal, throughout almost every sector... Finding a job is never easy, especially these days...

rafall

HSC
N/A
So do you guys advice me to go into the legal sector (if i got the atar ) or just find another thing :/

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
you can try it out for first sem and drop it if you don't like it.

rafall

HSC
N/A
What jobs can IT degree lead me to? and what their salaries are?

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
You sound like you need some direction kid... Don't jump into the pond without getting some guidance (I'm talking about guidance outside of here)... Speak to your careers counsellor at school, go to a couple of open days, etc...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You sound like you need some direction kid... Don't jump into the pond without getting some guidance (I'm talking about guidance outside of here)... Speak to your careers counsellor at school, go to a couple of open days, etc...
This. I think Op also needs to be realistic in where they're likely to be able to be successful.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
What jobs can IT degree lead me to? and what their salaries are?
You can search up the internet - there is plenty of information on a government website I remembering looking up as well as job demands etc etc. At the end of the day, these aren't that important. There are ALWAYS jobs, you just have to be good enough to get them.

Law is only difficult now because there are so many new law schools. This doesn't really affect people who had a 80+ Law WAMs at top tier universities and have been motivated enough to actively seek out part-time work from the very beginning (which also includes networking).

No one is stuck in a room full of papers...

I think you should give it a try if you get in. I initially picked up law because I wanted something challenging - I didn't have an intention to get into the legal sector.

rafall

HSC
N/A
Well i talked to my counsellor but they just say if u love it do it, if u have passion do it. I'm like i'm not sure if its right for me, even though i find law interesting but its something that i have never done. And that's why i came here.

Last edited:

rafall

HSC
N/A
You can search up the internet - there is plenty of information on a government website I remembering looking up as well as job demands etc etc. At the end of the day, these aren't that important. There are ALWAYS jobs, you just have to be good enough to get them.

Law is only difficult now because there are so many new law schools. This doesn't really affect people who had a 80+ Law WAMs at top tier universities and have been motivated enough to actively seek out part-time work from the very beginning (which also includes networking).

No one is stuck in a room full of papers...

I think you should give it a try if you get in. I initially picked up law because I wanted something challenging - I didn't have an intention to get into the legal sector.
Yea that's true i might try it if i got in and drop it if i didn't like it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)