Difference between Mathematics and Ext 1 Maths? Help! (1 Viewer)

Simorgh

HSC
I was initially quite keen on doing Extension 1 Maths next year, but my really average marks in this term and last term 's tests have kind of really put me down

The thing with me is that I know all the 5.3 Maths content and do well at home and in class but when it comes to Math tests I suddenly lose all my confidence and start struggling during the test. When I get my results, I soon realise how easy some of the questions were in the test and the fact I could do those same questions at home and in class with real confidence and accuracy. I guess I have a real problem and anxiety for some reason whenever I do Maths tests.

Even my Maths teacher spoke to me and said she couldn't understand why I could do the same questions right in class but in the test I skip easy questions and make simple mistake like not reading the question properly, and not checking my calculations/working out. I kind of really feel ashamed of myself, the fact I know everything and work really hard but I fail to prove myself in a Maths test.

It doesn't look like at the moment I would even be considered by the Maths head teacher to be doing Extension 1 in Year 11, by looking at my results from the last two terms. My Maths teacher told me she would put case for me with the Maths head teacher at the end of the year, when it would come to the moment I am not selected. I still got about 2 maths tests left in Term 4.

But I am starting to have doubts in myself, whether to even consider Ext Math at all as an option for these next two years. I was thinking why not face the reality of doing Mathematics, since its obviously much easier then Ext 1 and if I end up doing an Engineering degree, I could do some bridging course. Well I am really keen on doing some Engineering degree, specifically Civil.

So how different is Ext 1 from Mathematics? Would it later be difficult for me to catch up with a bridging course just before University starts, where I could potentially struggle heaps in the Engineering degree?

Not all hope for Ext 1 is gone but I would like to reconsider doing it in favour for Mathematics.

Last edited:

keepLooking

HSC
As an individual that regretted not doing Ext 1, I would definitely recommend that you just pick Ext 1. When you start to feel as though you are struggling, then you can just drop it.

calamebe

HSC
If you don't have too many units, I'd say go for it and drop it if it is too hard or the workload is too great. You can drop it if it's too hard but you can't pick up ext 1 if 2U is too easy.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
1.Bridging courses are more designed as ''refreshers'' and cover the entire course in a very short period of time; so I recommend taking Extension 1 Mathematics next year if you are given the opportunity too.

Simorgh

HSC
So how different is Ext 1 from Mathematics? Aren't they really similar in the content? But Ext 1 is just more complex and difficult?

Flop21

HSC
Go have a look a the syllabus or notes for the subject.

About your exams, that's a fairly common issue. It will only go away if you do something about it. You just gotta practice and practice until you are fine sitting exams. I have no secret remedy, you're just going to have to try and figure out how to stop your anxiety / brain fog in exams.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
So how different is Ext 1 from Mathematics? Aren't they really similar in the content? But Ext 1 is just more complex and difficult?
Quite different, similar in content e.g Linear Fns in 2U contrasts with Extension Number Plane in 3U, 2U Trig contrasts with 3U Trig etc. Similar things here and there but MX1 is more 'involved' and conceptual. Its challenging but its rewarding.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
i use to spazz out too
So if you were the teacher or someone you would see me meditating in the middle of the test(when i mean meditating i mean closing your eyes and taking in couple of deep breaths and clearing your mind- buddah style sweg). People around me would give me weird looks
Eventually, as i did more tests i meditated less then i just kinda stopped.

Simorgh

HSC
Thanks for your advice guys.

I heard that Civil Engineering requires the least amount of Math? Is that right?

I know Ext 1 Maths is assumed knowledge for Engineering at most Universities. But can't Mathematics be helpful for specifically Civil??

Silly Sausage

HSC
Thanks for your advice guys.

I heard that Civil Engineering requires the least amount of Math? Is that right?

I know Ext 1 Maths is assumed knowledge for Engineering at most Universities. But can't Mathematics be helpful for specifically Civil??
No.

Generally, all engineering majors take the same math course for first year which will most likely assume Extension 1 mathematics.

medicinestudent

HSC
ext 1 maths is challenging no doubt... if you are having trouble seeing the easy questions in 5.3 content then you might struggle a bit in 3u.

Having said that, definitely give it a try - although keep in mind that if you are not doing well next year there's really not much no point in doing it. work on improving your 2u marks and other subjects (you need to be getting at least over 80% in 2u)

psyc1011

#truth
HSC
Do it and see how it goes. It may be energising as I have found it since 2U is incredibly dull and computational.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)