HSC 2015 MX2 Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
Re: HSC 2015 4U Marathon

Oooh ok if the border is root 12 then I got the answer via shells. The only issue I had was subbing in 3 as a border and I was getting root -3. Thanks guys. Answers 7pi btw

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

You also added 2 extra chords which is kinda redundant, because its the exact same proof, only different pronumerals
Yes. The original Q was meant to be with the intersection of the two lines joining the midpoints of two pairs of chords, but I forgot to add the second pair of chords in the original Q. But it turns out it doesn't matter. The only typo originally was basically "line segments" instead of "lines".

Ekman

HSC

Judging from your comment after the question, it is safe to assume the centre of the ellipse is at the origin. It doesn't matter, it only makes it easier for me to type out the solution.

Repeat solution for points C and D

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Judging from your comment after the question, it is safe to assume the centre of the ellipse is at the origin. It doesn't matter, it only makes it easier for me to type out the solution.

Repeat solution for points C and D
I think you accidentally gave the reciprocal of the slope at the end instead of the slope, but it doesn't matter much. :)

And yeah, we can define the origin to be the centre of the ellipse.

Ekman

HSC

I think you accidentally gave the reciprocal of the slope at the end instead of the slope, but it doesn't matter much. :)

And yeah, we can define the origin to be the centre of the ellipse.
Whoops my bad, but it shouldn't really matter. As long as you can prove the gradients are independent of the y intercepts of the chords, it should be all fine.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Whoops my bad, but it shouldn't really matter. As long as you can prove the gradients are independent of the y intercepts of the chords, it should be all fine.
Yeah, that's why I said it doesn't matter much.

Oh, and I realised I meant "centre", not "origin", in my rewording of the Q.

Last edited:

Ekman

HSC

Yeah, that's why I said it doesn't matter much.

Oh, and I realised I meant "centre", not "origin", in my rewording of the Q.
If thats the case then you have to replace the x^2 and y^2 with (x-h)^2 and (y-k)^2 and prove that (h, k), A and B are collinear which makes the working out a bit more messier

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Are you sure about this answer? Because the area under the curve is

The parabola's area is dependent on the angle.
This problem needs to be considered in 3D a little. You need to consider the maximum "sideways" angle you can turn the nozzle so that you still just hit the wall at the bottom of the wall, and for every sideways angle inbetween these extreme "sideways" angles, find the "upwards" angle that allows you to hit highest up the wall (this will be the point on the parabola in question).

This is a question from an old HSC (can't remember which year, but would be between 1960s and 1980s.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)