Subject selection (4u english with 6 other units) (2 Viewers)

drinkarizona

HSC
Okay, my subjects right now are:

English Adv
English Ext
Gen Math
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Economics
Studies of Religion II

I'm definitely dropping business due to the teacher, class, and generally the course.
But I'm also considering picking up English Ext 2 next year and dropping economics. Thus, making it

English Advanced
English Ext 1
English Ext 2
Gen Math
Legal Studies
Studies of Religion II

My original plan was to drop math and pick up 4u, but unfortunately there's a new rule you must have 3 faculties for an atar.
My dilemma is: after asking several teachers several times, I have learned relying on 4u for an ATAR is incredibly risky due to the subjective nature of the major work.
So my plan is to pick up ext 2, drop Business, and roll (possibly crawl) through the first half of year 12 with my 12 units. In the middle of the year I will see whether I will drop Economics or extension 2.
Has anyone done this or do you know anyone who has relied on English like this? Any good points about it that will change my mind? I really like it as it allows me to focus my excess study time, but the risk entailed is worrying.

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Hey There! :)

Doing only 10 units w/ EX2 will be fine. On the plus side, you will have lots of time to work on your major work.

Yes, Four-Unit English is very subjective, however only to an extent. There are strict marking guidelines that markers need to adhere to, so rest assured that if your teacher (which I pressure will be very experienced as teaching 4U english is quite a task) appreciates and enjoys your work, I'm sure the markers will as well.

These works are also double marked, which means that if there's a discrepancy between the first and the second marker (e.g. there is significant amount of marks between their scores) then a third marker will help decide your mark. :)

However, take what I say with a grain of salt. :) Ultimately it's your choice-- I mean what's the point of doing business if you hate it, right? Wouldn't you rather do something you enjoy (which I assume is english)?

Killua101

HSC
'My original plan was to drop math and pick up 4u, but unfortunately there's a new rule you must have 3 faculties for an atar.'

Really, is that just in your school or BOSTES made it for all

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Hey There! :)
These works are also double marked, which means that if there's a discrepancy between the first and the second marker (e.g. there is significant amount of marks between their scores) then a third marker will help decide your mark. :)
This is true, but it used to be (I think it may still be the case) that there could be a band's discrepancy between the two markers without a remark. That is, one marker could give you 25 and another 40 and you would just get 32.5 with no third marker even coming into it.

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
This is true, but it used to be (I think it may still be the case) that there could be a band's discrepancy between the two markers without a remark. That is, one marker could give you 25 and another 40 and you would just get 32.5 with no third marker even coming into it.
My Teacher explained two possible scenarios:
1. The third marker scenario
2. The two markers meet, discuss the work and from that disucssion decide what the final mark is.

However, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, as marking procedures can easily change.... (my teacher marked 4U back in 2013...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spatula232

HSC
So my plan is to pick up ext 2, drop Business, and roll (possibly crawl) through the first half of year 12 with my 12 units. In the middle of the year I will see whether I will drop Economics or extension 2..
Don't just completely throw away doing a subject because that will mean you have 12 units. If you are still committed to all of them, it's very manageable

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
My Teacher explained two possible scenarios:
However, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, as marking procedures can easily change.... (my teacher marked 4U back in 2013...)
Yeah my teacher hasn't marked since like 2011 so you'd know better than me. Rest easy I guess OP.

drinkarizona

HSC
'My original plan was to drop math and pick up 4u, but unfortunately there's a new rule you must have 3 faculties for an atar.'

Really, is that just in your school or BOSTES made it for all
yeah I have since realised that was some weird thing my school did where they don't like you doing similar subjects. irrelevant

drinkarizona

HSC
Don't just completely throw away doing a subject because that will mean you have 12 units. If you are still committed to all of them, it's very manageable
I'm just wondering if I can remain committed to my 10 units (including 4u English) instead of having to spend time on math.
Well now that I think about it, I guess it's an alright backup in case my other marks crash and burn.

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
English Extension 2 is always a risk. Someone in my cohort who got the same internal as me (48/50) ended up getting 28/50 for externals. The markers weren't that keen on mine either, so my HSC mark dropped quite a bit, and that ended up being my 10th unit that counted for the ATAR (so it pulled my ATAR down quite a bit).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)