HSC 2015 Maths Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Re: HSC 2015 2U Marathon

so does seating Alice not matter to the probability in this case because it is a circle, and circles can start from anywhere?
Basically yeah; this is one of the things you learn in 3U perms and combs (symmetry of circular arrangements). So at the start, all seats are essentially the same, because we can rotate the circle containing just one person onto any other arrangement with just one person. To account for this rotational symmetry, the first person's position can just be fixed. This is why in perms and combs we would say the number of ways to sit 1 person at the table containing 6 seats is just 1; we wouldn't say 6, because these 6 "ways" are all really just the same (rotations of one another) (the chairs are assumed identical for these problems).

A way to think about it is, wherever Alice sits, the chairs needed are those Seats 1 and 2 that are two seats away from her chosen seat. So it doesn't matter where she sits, because we'll be doing the same 1/5 • 1/4 thing regardless.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

If you wanted, you could say there's a 1/6 chance of Alice sitting in a given seat, and for each seat, get the 1/10 result for that seat, and then do this for the six seats that Alice could go to, and you'd end up with the same answer as you'd do 6•(1/6 • 1/10) = 1/10 (i.e. taking into account the probability of Alice sitting in a specific seat just gets cancelled out by then having to account for the number of seats she can sit in, so we just can fix Alice's position).

rand_althor

HSC

Let ABC be a triangle such that AB = 3, BC = 4, AC = 5. Let X be a point in the triangle. Find the minimal possible value of AX2 + BX2 + CX2.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

The concept of optimisation of multivariate functions isn't inside the 2U course as far as I know though, so I don't think this question would appear, although it is doable with 2U knowledge. If it did appear, you'd be guided through the steps.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
HSC 2015 2U Marathon

The concept of optimisation of multivariate functions isn't inside the 2U course as far as I know though, so I don't think this question would appear, although it is doable with 2U knowledge. If it did appear, you'd be guided through the steps.
You can have multivariate optimisations provided that there are enough constraint conditions that can convert it into a univariate optimisation.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

You can have multivariate optimisations provided that there are enough constraint conditions that can convert it into a univariate optimisation.
Yeah I know; by multivariate I meant where the variables stay independent.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

...Wow... I completed the square and then decided to give up. lol, not sure what happened to me then and there.

Flop21

HSC

gimme some questions

milkytea99

HSC

Do you think this year's 2uxpaper will be hard again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)