• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Simple question but how draw this graph (1 Viewer)

thomasdo1

HSC

Found the assymptotes but dunno how to draw it
I always get paranoid during exams about graphs, so after I complete the questions, I compare the properties while graphing it using my calculator, I know it's a bit cheap but my calculator can graph any curve. After checking if it's odd/even/neither first

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I always get paranoid during exams about graphs, so after I complete the questions, I compare the properties while graphing it using my calculator, I know it's a bit cheap but my calculator can graph any curve. After checking if it's odd/even/neither first
Didn't know graphing calculators were allowed in HSC!

Chris_S

HSC
I thought they weren't lol! If it is allowed I am getting one tomorrow morning lol

thomasdo1

HSC
Didn't know graphing calculators were allowed in HSC!
I thought they weren't lol! If it is allowed I am getting one tomorrow morning lol

sorry guys!! for not clarifying, what I meant was for example f(x) = x^2, I would type in my calculator (answer)^2 then press AC, I would then for example let x=1, so I press 1 and then equals, then I press up then equals again, this gives me the y-value of the curve instantly.

This is particularly useful when examining a little bit to the right of asymptotes and verifying your work and getting very quick y value results. If there is an asymptote at x = 1, I would type 1.1 =, then up arrow, then =. I would get like 900000, which is very far up, which means it is going towards infinity from the right of the asymptote. I could also work out very quickly the horizontal asymptotes by letting x = 90000000 for example.

It's just a really quick way to get y-values and also check if your graph is spot on. Works with inverse trig graphs too, and complicated trig graphs, or any graph at all I should say
- max/min
- intercepts
- endpoints
- getting the y-value of the stationary points
- asymptotic discussion
- where the curve is generally

Also verrrry very useful in confirming your answers to an equation, for example you got 4 answers for a trig question with a long process, and you might have possibly went wrong somewhere

It's just the quick process of doing , AC -> number -> equals -> up -> equals ----> repeat.

Last edited:

thomasdo1

HSC
and if I'm really stuck on a hard graph, I can score some marks for playing connect the dots, and putting in key information, that's only if I can't do the questions beforehand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)