Maths in comp science? (1 Viewer)

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
I'm not a fan of math, I can only do around 3unit level, and I struggle with some of the concepts there. Will it be a problem for me if i were to pick comp sci? I dont really like doing maths either

turntaker

HSC
I'm not a fan of math, I can only do around 3unit level, and I struggle with some of the concepts there. Will it be a problem for me if i were to pick comp sci? I dont really like doing maths either
Yes, comp sci requires mathematical thinking. You only do maths 1st year though and its pretty hard. (4u level and beyond)

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
ugh.. just finished with 3u and i felt like shit from that. Starting to have second thoughts about comp sci..

keepLooking

HSC
ugh.. just finished with 3u and i felt like shit from that. Starting to have second thoughts about comp sci..
Which uni are you planning to go to?

I only did 2u as well, I think I am going to struggle with the math units.

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
Which uni are you planning to go to?

I only did 2u as well, I think I am going to struggle with the math units.
usyd or unsw, i heard 4 unit is like a 'assumed knowledge' and we'd have to go to a bridging course to learn the 4 unit content lol (dont quote me on that but I'm almost certain I've read that on this forum a while ago)

keepLooking

HSC

malcolm21

HSC
N/A

Flop21

HSC
Computer science is applied mathematics. So yes you will have to have at least have an appreciation of math and some ability in computer science. Computer science is very theoretical.

Here are some threads that may interest you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/computersc...aths_a_big_part_of_studying_computer_science/

https://www.reddit.com/r/computersc..._couple_questions_to_computer_science_majors/

Also, at UNSW only 3u is assumed. I will be going in with only 2u, but intend to do some 3u over the holidays.

CS is math heavy.

Flop21

HSC
It says Assumed is 3u whereas 4u is "advantageous".

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/studying-at-unsw/undergraduate/program-options/computer-science/

I can't believe I forgot the FEAS application, I have no chance of getting into UNSW now.
That sucks :( I actually emailed them today regarding my school report and got an automatic reply saying "FEAS applications have now closed. Due to the overwhelming response no late applications will be accepted." so they must be getting a lot of emails regarding that haha. Don't worry though, you might be able to get the ATAR via bonus points (HSC plus), or you can just do a science degree (85 ATAR) for a year, while choosing CS electives, then transfer.

turntaker

HSC
Does this work with every course? Why might this work?
Because its not a true "91" cut off. They don't get as many applicants as the cut off suggests so they look at other people who applied but got below 91.
I know a few people who got 86-88 and got accepted into engo without a FEAS application.
Comp sci is a bit more popular nowdays but it could still work.

keepLooking

HSC
Have you looked at bonus points and eas yet?
Maximum I can get is 3, 2 from B6 Physics (unlikely at this point and 1 from B6 Mathematics.

you can just do a science degree (85 ATAR) for a year, while choosing CS electives, then transfer.
Yeah, I've thought about this because of your thread but I think it will be rather difficult for me to achieve high enough marks to do an internal transfer but I am surely putting B Science as one of my lower preferences.

still put it as your no.1 preference. You could still get in with 81+
Aye? I'll see how I go with the BIT co-op interview but most likely UNSW is staying first.

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
Because its not a true "91" cut off. They don't get as many applicants as the cut off suggests so they look at other people who applied but got below 91.
I know a few people who got 86-88 and got accepted into engo without a FEAS application.
Comp sci is a bit more popular nowdays but it could still work.
do you get something for putting it first pref? Was thinking of putting comm/comp sci cause i dont think ill make the cutoff, but that course is way more saturated than comp sci, so i dont think ill get it :(

turntaker

HSC
do you get something for putting it first pref? Was thinking of putting comm/comp sci cause i dont think ill make the cutoff, but that course is way more saturated than comp sci, so i dont think ill get it :(
commerce is 96 atar and saturated af, you should put it as your 1st if you think you will get it. Commerce won't really help with jobs though, you'll find a job with comp sci quicker than comm.

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
commerce is 96 atar and saturated af, you should put it as your 1st if you think you will get it. Commerce won't really help with jobs though, you'll find a job with comp sci quicker than comm.
Are you sure about that? I always thought it was the other way around o-o.

edit: by compsci/commerce i meant a double degree hehe

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
No. Comp Sci has more career prospects as it is extremely broad.
Sure but it's about the demand for labour too. I was always under the preconception that there's less demand for comp field than commerce field (haven't researched but I'm assuming that's the case)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)