Interesting mathematical statements (1 Viewer)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
I know lol. This is one of the biggest mind gobbling problems to pure mathematicians apparently; WHY?
The thing is, we don't even know how to begin to approach this problem. Paul Erdos has already commented on this problem.
Looks like we'll just have to wait for the next
Euler/Erdos/Tao/Gauss/Noether/Polya/Hilbert/Russell/Lagrange/Riemann/Hardy/Poincare/Fermat/Grothendieck/Newton/Leibniz/Weierstrass/Cauchy/Descartes/Dirichlet/Cantor/Fibonacci/Jacobi/Ramanujan/Hamilton/Godel/Pascal/Apollonius/Laplace/Liouville/Eisenstein/Banach/Peano/Bernoulli/Viete/Fourier/Huygens/Chebyshev/Lebesgue/Turing/Cardano/Minkowski/Littlewood/Legendre/Birkhoff/Lambert/Poisson/Wallis/Tarski/Frege/Hausdorff/Neumann/Galois
to come around and resolve the problem.

glittergal96

HSC
If you have a small ball in 3 dimensional space, it is possible to decompose it as a union of a finite number of sets, which can be moved by rotations and translations such that the pieces never overlap and such that the final object constructed is an arbitrarily large ball.

Colloquially, one can cut a pea into a finite number of pieces and reassemble it into something the size of the sun.

leehuan

HSC
Can we keep our posts restrained to at least MX2 level and not making bad usages of mathematics lmao

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Zeta regularisations are important

1 + 2 + 3 + ... =/= -1/12, but is rather 'assigned' that value

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I like the 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + … = -1/12 result, and find it also quite amazing that this is used in physics and gives some experimentally verifiable results. There's a lot of 'weird' stuff like this in this series of lectures on Mathematical Physics by Carl Bender that can be found on YouTube.

Also, I think this thread should be in the maths Extracurricular Topics forum.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
If you have a small ball in 3 dimensional space, it is possible to decompose it as a union of a finite number of sets, which can be moved by rotations and translations such that the pieces never overlap and such that the final object constructed is an arbitrarily large ball.

Colloquially, one can cut a pea into a finite number of pieces and reassemble it into something the size of the sun.
Only if I accept the axiom of choice. : PPPPPPP

glittergal96

HSC
Only if I accept the axiom of choice. : PPPPPPP
Even if you don't accept the axiom of choice (which is a bit limiting, but some minority of mathematicians don't), you would not be able to prove that such a reassembling of the pea into the sun is impossible. (Because the axiom of choice is consistent with the other axioms of set theory.)

This is still pretty unintuitive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)