Whats the best tutoring centre you've been to? (1 Viewer)

kristru

HSC
Almost sounds like you work for Talent100 (Ramennoodles). Your HSC is in 2019, how you could know that Talent is good for everything. I went talent last term and it was a strange experience. Some of the tutors were talking about using drugs in class. Notes are actually pretty terrible as they don't provide much depth. One thing I noticed was Talent100's marketing campaigns are based on scare tactics, has anyone else felt this way as well?

zuperman

HSC
I've been to both Ngo and Sons and Dr Du, and I must say, Dr Du is more catered towards students at the very top end because of the challenging questions he gives on a regular basis. He teaches Harder 3U in normal 3U classes (where there are students doing only 2U + 3U).

From what I've heard, around half of the top 10 students at James Ruse in 4U are from Dr Du, if that has any significance to you.
Also Ngo and Sons can be over the top and scary sometimes. Classsses are huuuge too. A lot of my mates quit after a while but i mean depends on if you can handle it i gues

zuperman

HSC
matrix was shit in yr 11; or it was shit in maths. apparently it's better in science
Ye thats same as what i heard too. Although science is only good if youre lucky and get someone like DJ. Otherwise gg waste like 100 bux a class. Possibly worth it if youre loaded but iunno reckon theyre waaay too expensive for such a gamble on who you get.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I'm gonna have to disagree with this guy. I'd recommend talent 100 for everything. Might be expensive but you can pay the entire thing off when ur a garbage man.
I heard heaps of bad things about talent100. Infact I agree, Matrix is better than talent100 since they have "bad"qualified teachers (one of the best being DJ)

Both advertise really heavily.

sakana

HSC
Dr du
Pros:
>can draw perfect circles on the board
>motivational speeches (e.g. we as part of the dr du army, are fighting for the top ten position in nsw)
>uses apple and banana instead of x and y as pronumerals when explaining things
>cash prizes every term
>speaks through a microphone connected to speakers installed on the corners of the room
>can prove anything by contradiction
>the chem teacher Peter's class is a band six factory

Cons:
>weird accent(not the stereotypical chinese accent)
>picks on random ppl to do questions on the board
>takes 15mins on average each lesson to mark the roll and give an inspirational speech
>open the blinds for once please
>english teacher James can yell you to the point where ur face is full of tears
>Wayyyyy toooo mut munnay

Verdict: i r8 8/8 very gr8 (if u can keep up in his class, then the money is well worth it. If not, dont go B class cuz you pay the same rate.)

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Dr du
Pros:
>can draw perfect circles on the board
>motivational speeches (e.g. we as part of the dr du army, are fighting for the top ten position in nsw)
>uses apple and banana instead of x and y as pronumerals when explaining things
>cash prizes every term
>speaks through a microphone connected to speakers installed on the corners of the room
>can prove anything by contradiction
>the chem teacher Peter's class is a band six factory

Cons:
>weird accent(not the stereotypical chinese accent)
>picks on random ppl to do questions on the board
>takes 15mins on average each lesson to mark the roll and give an inspirational speech
>open the blinds for once please
>english teacher James can yell you to the point where ur face is full of tears
>Wayyyyy toooo mut munnay

Verdict: i r8 8/8 very gr8 (if u can keep up in his class, then the money is well worth it. If not, dont go B class cuz you pay the same rate.)

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk
Lol. Is Dr Du even good for physics? Is it also good for english?

How good is he at teaching and explaining?

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Dr Du wil probably kill you for getting a question wrong. There are so may rumours about him :)

omegadot

HSC
N/A
Dr Du wil probably kill you for getting a question wrong. There are so may rumours about him :)
For those of us not in the known, could someone please enlighten us on some of these rumours about Dr Du. He's sounds like a very interesting character indeed.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
For those of us not in the known, could someone please enlighten us on some of these rumours about Dr Du. He's sounds like a very interesting character indeed.
He teaches a lot of stuff that's out of syllabus (this is only going to benefit the higher achieving students) which kind of makes sense for why he gets so many state ranks (other than that these students are hardworking)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
He teaches a lot of stuff that's out of syllabus (this is only going to benefit the higher achieving students) which kind of makes sense for why he gets so many state ranks (other than that these students are hardworking)
Do tell me how out of syllabus content benefits higher achieving students in acquiring state ranks.

The reason why Matrix seems so popular is because they advertise so much and do it everywhere (similar to talent100)
One could argue that they actually ARE popular. Advertising 'everywhere' is not cheap. Where do you think that money comes from?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Do tell me how out of syllabus content benefits higher achieving students in acquiring state ranks.

One could argue that they actually ARE popular. Advertising 'everywhere' is not cheap. Where do you think that money comes from?
Well... it gives you a better understanding of what's in sllabus although it won't be assessed in tests. Read this article, http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ing-to-succeed-in-the-hsc-20111014-1loyq.html

It says those who come first in the state do extensive research but not everyone who does extensive research is a state ranker, in that sense, if you get what I mean. One of my friends who went to Terry Lee tutoring and quit told me that Terry Lee's son got a state rank in 3U and 4U and he studied "within the syllabus".

Regarding matrix and it's popularity, the money comes from their business profits clearly. If you typed up "hsc tutoring" on google search, you'd literally get Matrix and Talent 100 as the first 2 tuition centres which come up. A friend of mine told me Matrix advertises through giving out brochures at a train station. I mean yes, the money doesn't come from "magic" but rather it comes from hiring people to do that job, using the business' money in order to do that. Yes it's a high risk activity because there's is an equal chance (or lower) that your tutoring business may fail at the end of the day

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well... it gives you a better understanding of what's in sllabus although it won't be assessed in tests. Read this article, http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ing-to-succeed-in-the-hsc-20111014-1loyq.html

It says those who come first in the state do extensive research but not everyone who does extensive research is a state ranker, in that sense, if you get what I mean. One of my friends who went to Terry Lee tutoring and quit told me that Terry Lee's son got a state rank in 3U and 4U and he studied "within the syllabus".

Regarding matrix and it's popularity, the money comes from their business profits clearly. If you typed up "hsc tutoring" on google search, you'd literally get Matrix and Talent 100 as the first 2 tuition centres which come up. A friend of mine told me Matrix advertises through giving out brochures at a train station. I mean yes, the money doesn't come from "magic" but rather it comes from hiring people to do that job, using the business' money in order to do that. Yes it's a high risk activity because there's is an equal chance (or lower) that your tutoring business may fail at the end of the day
Firstly, your first paragraph doesn't address my first point (asking you how does out-of-syllabus content help acquire state ranks). I hardly think "It gives you a better understanding of what's in syllabus" is a sufficient reason (if it even constitutes a reason). Re: Terry's son, a little known fact is that he studied the Extension 1 and 2 course at least twice (yes, two years in a row) before sitting the HSC. Perhaps part of his success was attributed to that. Regardless, I'm not too sure what you were trying to communicate by using him as an example.

Secondly, Matrix does not advertise through giving out brochures. This practice has not been undertaken for several years. I suspect they once did, then somebody told their friend, who told their friend, etc etc. Generations later, people still think the same thing even though the company has moved way past that point. I am not defending Matrix, but I am happy to refute any bullshit I see.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Firstly, your first paragraph doesn't address my first point (asking you how does out-of-syllabus content help acquire state ranks). I hardly think "It gives you a better understanding of what's in syllabus" is a sufficient reason (if it even constitutes a reason). Re: Terry's son, a little known fact is that he studied the Extension 1 and 2 course at least twice (yes, two years in a row) before sitting the HSC. Perhaps part of his success was attributed to that. Regardless, I'm not too sure what you were trying to communicate by using him as an example.

Secondly, Matrix does not advertise through giving out brochures. This practice has not been undertaken for several years. I suspect they once did, then somebody told their friend, who told their friend, etc etc. Generations later, people still think the same thing even though the company has moved way past that point. I am not defending Matrix, but I am happy to refute any bullshit I see.
Didn't I tell you, it gives you a better understanding of what's in syllabus. Even though it sounds really screwed up, that's what I'm trying to say. If for example, the Chemistry syllabus only wanted you to know that Cations are positive nothing else, then wouldn't you do more outside the syllabus research to understand more about cations even though it's not going to be assessed in exams (so pretty much you're doing it to have a better idea and somehow remember what's in syllabus more easily)? I don't even know if Terry Lee's son studied Extension 1 and 2 maths twice before the HSC. All I know was that Terry Lee's son state ranked HSC 3U and 4U in 2012, and he teaches the year 11 class at Terry Lee's tutoring (it used to be his sister but then his sister got a full time job then he replaced her and from what I heard, his son teaches so bad). I actually don't even know what I'm trying to communicate by using Terry Lee's son as an example but all I know was that the way he studied was "within the syllabus" where he would do past HSC papers and his school papers (pretty much what everyone does but he ended up state ranking it and everyone else didn't). The thing about Dr Du is that he teaches alot of stuff not related to the syllabus (which isn't meant to be helpful for school) and somehow ends up with like 9 state ranks every year

I would agree with that statement that Matrix doesn't advertise through giving out brochures at train stations and whatelse mainly because I've never experienced it personally. It was my friend telling me because he was saying that matrix advertises everywhere which I actually believed. I think the same thing applies to Talent100 as well, except talent100 advertises more than Matrix (not sure if talent100 actually advertises more than matrix but Matrix was made before talent100). Just saying but they both seem to be moneygrubbers. Just because they have nice fancy colourful rooms, smartboards and have people who do one to one on the areas you are struggling in, doesn't mean they have the right to charge $35 an hour (or even more) for an hourly rate at tuition. Honestly, tutoring centre's aren't supposed to "advertise" in any form of way saying, you will succeed. All the tutoring centre can do is guide the student to success but the one who guides himself/herself to academic success is himself/herself. Seriously, don't bother to charge $35 an hour for group tutoring just because you have a "good" service. It's unfair for the majority who cannot afford those fees

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Didn't I tell you, it gives you a better understanding of what's in syllabus. Even though it sounds really screwed up, that's what I'm trying to say. If for example, the Chemistry syllabus only wanted you to know that Cations are positive nothing else, then wouldn't you do more outside the syllabus research to understand more about cations even though it's not going to be assessed in exams (so pretty much you're doing it to have a better idea and somehow remember what's in syllabus more easily)? I don't even know if Terry Lee's son studied Extension 1 and 2 maths twice before the HSC. All I know was that Terry Lee's son state ranked HSC 3U and 4U in 2012, and he teaches the year 11 class at Terry Lee's tutoring (it used to be his sister but then his sister got a full time job then he replaced her and from what I heard, his son teaches so bad). I actually don't even know what I'm trying to communicate by using Terry Lee's son as an example but all I know was that the way he studied was "within the syllabus" where he would do past HSC papers and his school papers (pretty much what everyone does but he ended up state ranking it and everyone else didn't). The thing about Dr Du is that he teaches alot of stuff not related to the syllabus (which isn't meant to be helpful for school) and somehow ends up with like 9 state ranks every year

I would agree with that statement that Matrix doesn't advertise through giving out brochures at train stations and whatelse mainly because I've never experienced it personally. It was my friend telling me because he was saying that matrix advertises everywhere which I actually believed. I think the same thing applies to Talent100 as well, except talent100 advertises more than Matrix (not sure if talent100 actually advertises more than matrix but Matrix was made before talent100). Just saying but they both seem to be moneygrubbers. Just because they have nice fancy colourful rooms, smartboards and have people who do one to one on the areas you are struggling in, doesn't mean they have the right to charge $35 an hour (or even more) for an hourly rate at tuition. Honestly, tutoring centre's aren't supposed to "advertise" in any form of way saying, you will succeed. All the tutoring centre can do is guide the student to success but the one who guides himself/herself to academic success is himself/herself. Seriously, don't bother to charge $35 an hour for group tutoring just because you have a "good" service. It's unfair for the majority who cannot afford those fees
I talk a little about out-of-syllabus content purely for the sake of interest and occasionally for more indepth understanding (if it is reasonably outside of course). However, I do not think it helps them understand what is in or out of the course. If anything, it would confuse them. "Am I allowed to use this technique/proof in the HSC?" is a common question. In actual fact, I received one of those today when showing my students how to do a particular conics question using no algebra, but only the properties of the orthocentre. Does this yield state ranks? Maybe not. Will state ranking students find this interesting? Probably.

In your second paragraph, I really am not too sure what you're saying (quite frankly I'm not too sure if you even know what you're saying either. Refer to your quote below), but I'll humour you and address your points anyway so other people reading this can understand the difference between an informed opinion and just an opinion.

I think the same thing applies to Talent100 as well, except talent100 advertises more than Matrix (not sure if talent100 actually advertises more than matrix...)
Firstly, Matrix and Talent100 use short-range projectors, not smartboards.

Secondly, a lot of this $35ph or whatever $ goes into overhead costs. These are large scale tutoring businesses with a lot more going on. This means more administrative staff members (marketing, accounting, customer service reps, IT), more campuses, better furnishing. This stuff is not cheap. You seem to be under the impression that business costs do not scale as the business grows. Assuming that students are charged $40ph, businesses of this size will need at least 6 students to break even, THEN the rest are profits. Compare this to the more independent tutoring businesses (like Dr. Du, Harry's etc) who need only 4-5 students @ ~$20ph to break even, and consider their class sizes. Who's the money grubber now?

Thirdly, you seem to be trying to make the point that it's unfair that students have to pay more for a 'good' service. Remember that tutoring is an extra service. It is not compulsory, and there are very many students who have done well with no tutoring, as well as not-so-good teachers. So in light of this, your point is null. It's like owning a perfectly functioning lower-end luxury car and then saying "Why are Ferraris and Lambos so expensive? It's unfair that the majority of us can't own them because we can't afford it". Now SUPPOSE tutoring is a necessity, I'm afraid I'm then going to have to welcome you to the real world.

Lastly, you are raising an awful lot of opinions (you have commented on a great deal of threads in the Tutoring section) based on just hearsay and not very much via actual research. Furthermore, you are presenting a lot of these opinions as fact too, which bothers me. This is why I'm calling you out on things, because it's individuals like yourself who make it very hard for businesses to evolve their reputation.

tl;dr think more and do more research before saying anything, otherwise you look like a blabbering fool

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)