How is university different to high school? (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
So it's not like you're missing out on anything from skipping lectures? You just read the book you're told to buy and study from that?
Go to the lecturers for the first couple of week, see if the lecture slides they post are different or if you think the lectures are worth while attending.

For some of my subjects the textbooks weren't worth getting, and didn't really help for studying the course at all.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Do we have to buy textbooks? What happens if we don't or if we share

Also do they tell us what textbooks to buy during the first week?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Do we have to buy textbooks? What happens if we don't or if we share

Also do they tell us what textbooks to buy during the first week?
http://www.coop.com.au/ or unit guides should tell you what textbooks you are expected (or in the first lecture the lecturer will tell you if they recommend it or not).

You don't "have" to buy the textbooks, however sometimes its helpful. Sometimes the weekly submission questions come directly from the textbook, so you'll need to have access to the textbook.

Usually you can just go to the library and borrow the textbook for a short while.(Usually has to be given back within the same day). Tutors may get annoyed if you are sharing a textbook but most of the time they don't mind.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
So it's not like you're missing out on anything from skipping lectures? You just read the book you're told to buy and study from that?
I would caution that in some cases there are concepts covered in lectures that are not covered in the textbook and vice versa.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Sometimes lectures have assessments during them.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
I just cant what for uni and all the independence that comes with it. Especially being 18+.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I just cant what for uni and all the independence that comes with it. Especially being 18+.
As soon as I realised I could skip class and there would be no questions or consequence (especially from my parents), I stopped going to lecturers.

A semester later when the consequences of poor results kicked in, I sucked it up and starting going (and listening!).

It really depends on the person, but don't let freedom go to your head.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
As soon as I realised I could skip class and there would be no questions or consequence (especially from my parents), I stopped going to lecturers.

A semester later when the consequences of poor results kicked in, I sucked it up and starting going (and listening!).

It really depends on the person, but don't let freedom go to your head.
meow

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
no difference - I still do no study at all until night before and do alright - hsc was the same for me - it all depends on the person.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
it is funner but you get used to the feeling of impending failure and never actually failing

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Well other than final exams (which I've kept the same mentality for uni as I did with high school), everything is a lot more different.

Assignments end up being just as D94 said earlier.

The type of stuff I have to do and what I have to learn is completely different. HSC is a 14 month marathon. Uni is a 3/4/5 year marathon with 2 x 4.5 month sprints a year, with breaks in between to compensate. You have to push harder during these sprints compared to HSC. This has definitely shifted how I learn.

In terms of what I learn, it's a vast mix of stuff (Engineering). I've found so far that both technical skills and experience can make you go places. The technical skill set is what you learn from your uni content. Your experience will equip you with another skill set which better prepares you for the industry which you go on to work in. There are many things that don't get taught in your classes which are beneficial for your own career development.

Also, uni is the perfect place and time to mature. Professionalism is important in pretty much every workplace. In uni you can set your maturity and professionalism as a goal, but once you hit the workplace it is an expectation.

TLDR; get your shit together and actually focus on your career.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
You know what I learnt after my first year, is independence and university is all about you. You are in control of your own self, you make your own choices also most importantly you will deal with the consequences from your choices.Its totally up to you if you want to attend lectures or tutorials, if you do, you will actually learn something which can be beneficial for you but if you don't attend lectures or tutors and you just play fuck around the campus you wont learn anything.

In HS, most of the time you will be chased up by your teachers in terms of homework and assignments. But in university you will be notified about the assignment in the first week and then it would be up to you to figure out what the assignment is and when is the due date. Once again is up to you when you will do the assignment but if you do it on the last minute you will procrastinate which may have the chance to impact the quality of work. One tip I an give you is that lets say there is an essay of ~2000 words all you have to do is to just break up the work load dedicate a certain amount of words on one day and so on.

Another tip I can give you is that if you are able to find out the dates of the various assignment are due, create an alert on your phone or laptop which then can remind you thus not making you to forget it.

All best of the 1st years of 2016

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Oh yeah one thing I forgot to mention from before which others have already iterated here. The main difference is that you are independent and have to make more of your own choices every day than before. This includes choices about your study. You have much more responsibility over yourself going into uni.

Also, a lot of people find it hard finding solid friendships. I would say that your best bet is just being friendly and talking with others quite a bit. Joining societies can help.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
You know what I learnt after my first year, is independence and university is all about you. You are in control of your own self, you make your own choices also most importantly you will deal with the consequences from your choices.Its totally up to you if you want to attend lectures or tutorials, if you do, you will actually learn something which can be beneficial for you but if you don't attend lectures or tutors and you just play fuck around the campus you wont learn anything.

In HS, most of the time you will be chased up by your teachers in terms of homework and assignments. But in university you will be notified about the assignment in the first week and then it would be up to you to figure out what the assignment is and when is the due date. Once again is up to you when you will do the assignment but if you do it on the last minute you will procrastinate which may have the chance to impact the quality of work. One tip I an give you is that lets say there is an essay of ~2000 words all you have to do is to just break up the work load dedicate a certain amount of words on one day and so on.

Another tip I can give you is that if you are able to find out the dates of the various assignment are due, create an alert on your phone or laptop which then can remind you thus not making you to forget it.

All best of the 1st years of 2016
Don't they tell you when the due date is? How am I supposed to figure out the due date without them telling me?

Flop21

HSC
no difference - I still do no study at all until night before and do alright - hsc was the same for me - it all depends on the person.
I'm guessing your memory kicks in, while you are listening and reading throughout class you retain it and can easily recall it without too much study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)