Need help, URGENT maths question: (4 Viewers)

HSC
Hey guys, just had another question:

6) Write down the sets of points corresponding to the following:
a) A parallelogram with three vertices A(1,3,4,2), B(-2,1,0,5), C(-4,0,6,8). Assume B & C are adjacent to A
b) The triangle with three vertices in part a of this question.
c) All three parallelograms which have three vertices given in part a) of this question.

betelnut

HSC
Hey guys, just had another question:

6) Write down the sets of points corresponding to the following:
a) A parallelogram with three vertices A(1,3,4,2), B(-2,1,0,5), C(-4,0,6,8). Assume B & C are adjacent to A
b) The triangle with three vertices in part a of this question.
c) All three parallelograms which have three vertices given in part a) of this question.
a) I guess what you can do is consider 4 cases such that AB is parallel to and equal to CD, AB is parallel to and equal to DC, AD is parallel to and equal to BC and AD is parallel to and equal to CB. That'll give you all possibilities for D
b) Just find the equation of the intersection of the lines, AB, BC and CA
c) Same as a.

HSC
a) I guess what you can do is consider 4 cases such that AB is parallel to and equal to CD, AB is parallel to and equal to DC, AD is parallel to and equal to BC and AD is parallel to and equal to CB. That'll give you all possibilities for D
b) Just find the equation of the intersection of the lines, AB, BC and CA
c) Same as a.
Thanks betelnut!

HSC
Hey everyone, I've got another question I'd like help with. It someone could help ASAP that would be great, as I have another Calculus test coming up next week.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Hey everyone, I've got another question I'd like help with. It someone could help ASAP that would be great, as I have another Calculus test coming up next week.

The top half of the question seems to be missing.

leehuan

HSC
I swear I did this question before.

I don't remember the full proof to c) right now nor do I have it with me.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

a) We can use a function whose graph dips below the x-axis and above it and attains max and min. like that, before tending to 0. You can use this idea to find the formula for such a function.

b) We can use a function that has a minimum below the x-axis but doesn't reach any max. E.g. f(x) = -1/(1+x^2).

Edit: done above.

HSC
Try applying the mean value theorem on f(x) = x1/3 over the interval [23, 27]
Thanks. I had one of my friends help me out with this one as I was already doing what you suggested. But it got all weird on the Right hand side (3/16). But how would you do this question? Especially sorting the RHS out.

Also, I've got another question

I understand that for a function to be differentiable, it has to be continuous first, i.e.

But the answer say that for function to be differentiable, a has to equal 1.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Thanks. I had one of my friends help me out with this one as I was already doing what you suggested. But it got all weird on the Right hand side (3/16). But how would you do this question? Especially sorting the RHS out.

Also, I've got another question

Thanks InteGrand! Any ideas on the other question?

Semi-differentiability isn't really covered in the HSC, so here's the Wikipedia link to it for anyone curious: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-differentiability .

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Thanks! Here's another one:

If you happen to be doing MATH1151 a simple solution is given at the back of the book for this question without knowledge of the concepts InteGrand provided

HSC
Hey leehuan. Yes, I am doing MATH1151. Do you mean the red booklet? I can't find the answers in the purple booklet anywhere....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)