Dot product (2 Viewers)

leehuan

HSC
The dot-product should be negative definitely for the first one. (-2-2-5 = -9) What do you get for CB in terms of the vector co-ordinates.
Yes that's what I got for AB dot BC as well

Given that vec(CB) = -vec(BC), AB dot CB should just be -AB dot BC

So how do I know which one is the desired one? The answers say it's the positive and I can clearly see why but I don't know why I'm supposed to choose vec(CB) and not vec(BC)

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes that's what I got for AB dot BC as well

Given that vec(CB) = -vec(BC), AB dot CB should just be -AB dot BC

So how do I know which one is the desired one? The answers say it's the positive and I can clearly see why but I don't know why I'm supposed to choose vec(CB) and not vec(BC)
Not entirely sure, maybe it has to do with the fact that both vectors use B as a reference/fixed point.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Right, is this a rule of thumb that I should remember?
It's not really a rule of thumb, more like a rule. Like if you see the image here, the angle between two vectors is the angle when the vectors have their tails lined up:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/Inner-product-angle.png .

If you lined up one head with one tail, the angle obtained would be the supplement of the one if you lined up the two tails (to see this, draw a diagram and it comes down to "co-interior angles are supplementary"). This is why the cosine becomes the negative of the other way (because cos(180 deg – theta) = -cos(theta)).

leehuan

HSC
Only just started using point normal form and I don't know how to do this.

leehuan

HSC
Can't draw the link to find part c).

Easy

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I think I'm not fully focused. I can't tell why vec(PB) . d = 0
Hints: Just write ba as vec(AB) for simplicity, recall that the dot product is linear (can expand it), and dd = ||d||2.

More generally though, for any vectors u, v in Rn, it is true that u – projv u is orthogonal to v. This is essentially how the vector projection is defined (i.e. note the right angles in the diagrams at the start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_projection. The vector a2 there is simply a – projb a, and is orthogonal to b). Using this, it is immediate that vec(PB) is orthogonal to d.

Assuming v is not the zero vector of course (in that case, the projection is undefined).

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Hints: Just write ba as vec(AB) for simplicity, recall that the dot product is linear (can expand it), and dd = ||d||2.

More generally though, for any vectors u, v in Rn, it is true that u – projv u is orthogonal to v. This is essentially how the vector projection is defined (i.e. note the right angles in the diagrams at the start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_projection. The vector a2 there is simply a – projb a, and is orthogonal to b). Using this, it is immediate that vec(PB) is orthogonal to d.

Assuming v is not the zero vector of course (in that case, the projection is undefined).
Lol ok I see now. For some reason I had it in my mind that (b-a).d wasn't going to cancel out. After using it so many times I suddenly forgot what d.d was

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)