2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
To: the math pros here

What are the hardest concepts / concepts that you see most people forget about etc. in 4U Graphs, Poly, Conics, and Complex No.'s?

BONUS: Same question for 3U Binomial Theorem/Probability, Inverse functions, Induction and Newton's Method.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
To: the math pros here

What are the hardest concepts / concepts that you see most people forget about etc. in 4U Graphs, Poly, Conics, and Complex No.'s?

BONUS: Same question for 3U Binomial Theorem/Probability, Inverse functions, Induction and Newton's Method.
Harder 3U

Then I reckon mechanics can be hard if you don't wrap your head around it too easily.

Some binomial theorem proofs are quite tough and same with projectile motion. Occasionally a hard SHM question appears

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
How did you go? I normally exceed some of my expectations and flop others.
English/Business were okay, still solid b6 range. Modern I completely got rekt in, not even funny. I feel as though it's such a simple subject, yet I always end up fucking up.

Still awaiting my other subjects~

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Hmm, wondering if I should be bothered to study for an English unassessed comprehension exam that's on Monday, especially with other exams being assessed.

StudiousStudent

HSC
English/Business were okay, still solid b6 range. Modern I completely got rekt in, not even funny. I feel as though it's such a simple subject, yet I always end up fucking up.

Still awaiting my other subjects~
Congrats with English & Business, tfw you're on track for a b6 is epic.

I really like Modern, I think its kind of easy, though I find it harder than Ancient.

Even if you went average, you can still make it up.

leehuan

HSC
No, but ideas don't happen without effort when you work in a field without inspiration.
Which is why occasionally if you suddenly have a huge light bulb over your head? I can kind of understand you wanting to get it out somewhere.

That doesn't happen everyday though, whereas some people choose to study to 3 or something everyday only to make no progress. (Plus I highly doubt that many HSC students are already doing unique research)

si2136

HSC
N/A
Was the terrain bad?
Not really, we had to run around our school for our Cross Country and there are A LOT of hills. On the third and last lap, I swore the entire time, because usually juniors run 2 laps.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Which is why occasionally if you suddenly have a huge light bulb over your head? I can kind of understand you wanting to get it out somewhere.

That doesn't happen everyday though, whereas some people choose to study to 3 or something everyday only to make no progress. (Plus I highly doubt that many HSC students are already doing unique research)
Only if you don't believe in yourself.

We live in a culture that promotes fixed mindset over growth mindset.

leehuan

HSC
Only if you don't believe in yourself.

We live in a culture that promotes fixed mindset over growth mindset.
What does believing in yourself have to do with getting to the point/right idea?

Believing in yourself only means you can persevere. Doesn't mean you're fruitful.

And it's not specifically "fixed". It's an extremely common trend. And it occurs simply because for the normal person brain power diminishes when tired unless they realised something massive.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
What does believing in yourself have to do with getting to the point/right idea?

Believing in yourself only means you can persevere. Doesn't mean you're fruitful.

And it's not specifically "fixed". It's an extremely common trend. And it occurs simply because for the normal person brain power diminishes when tired unless they realised something massive.
Not really. A majority of the time, people simply do not understand the fundamentals well enough.

This is specifically for high school btw. Not saying anything about open problems.

leehuan

HSC
Not really. A majority of the time, people simply do not understand the fundamentals well enough.

This is specifically for high school btw. Not saying anything about open problems.
I swear I have scrolled through studies that explain the impacts of minimal sleep ample times in my life.

All of my friends that achieved superbly slept well too.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
I swear I have scrolled through studies that explain the impacts of minimal sleep ample times in my life.

All of my friends that achieved superbly slept well too.
Some of us can go with the occasional 1 am project and still work perfectly normally.

Not all of us are genetically identical to you in terms of sleep requirements.

There have been many people in history who were successful, but had far less sleep than the average study recommends.

And besides, I can handle the occasional 2am problem solving jam session.

leehuan

HSC
Some of us can go with the occasional 1 am project and still work perfectly normally.

Not all of us are genetically identical to you in terms of sleep requirements.

There have been many people in history who were successful, but had far less sleep than the average study recommends.

And besides, I can handle the occasional 2am problem solving jam session.
If you were once again being specific about yourself being a special case you should've said that way sooner.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
If you were once again being specific about yourself being a special case you should've said that way sooner.
When you have many special cases, your universal system is no longer universal.

It is a spectral classification of a normal distribution, and you are hastily generalising everyone you know into the 99.7%

leehuan

HSC
When you have many special cases, your universal system is no longer universal.

It is a spectral classification of a normal distribution, and you are hastily generalising everyone you know into the 99.7%
Is your sole purpose to be the .3%?

Also on a side note I don't think all generalisations are accurate to the 100%?

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Congrats with English & Business, tfw you're on track for a b6 is epic.

I really like Modern, I think its kind of easy, though I find it harder than Ancient.

Even if you went average, you can still make it up.
Hopefully...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)