Is buying a car worth it in Year 11?? (1 Viewer)

k_2017

HSC
I can go for my P Plates in a few months, however I don't know if buying a car is worth all of the money when I could catch the school bus :uhoh:

Considering all of the costs, (I live about 30 mins from my school, also in a regional area with limited transport)
I am working 1 7hr shift a week and holidays, however I'm figure I wouldn't have much left over after paying for fuel, rego, maintenance etc. I know nothing about cars and my dad has warned me about the costs involved, however it is my decision wheather to buy one or not.

Did you have a car in your senior years??
Was it worth the cost involved to come and go from school etc (Particularly during Free Periods and Exam Blocks??)

Thank you :cool:

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Worth depends on usage. Is it really necessary? I mean you said you have the public transport necessary, I think that should be enough. If I were you I would just save up.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Personally I don't think you need a car. Any money or time you think you might save as a result of owning a car could come and backfire when you need to fix things up in the future. Besides, plenty of kids survive without a car and live further than you do I'd imagine so I think you'll be fine. Besides, you can also sleep on public transport- something you can't do when you're driving.

turntaker

HSC
You don't need a car during high school in my opinion.
If you enjoy driving and you are into cars then sure. But if not wait until uni

k_2017

HSC
You don't need a car during high school in my opinion.
If you enjoy driving and you are into cars then sure. But if not wait until uni
I was actually thinking I would resell it if I went to uni in the city.. Would it be a big waste to resell after 18 months??

turntaker

HSC
I was actually thinking I would resell it if I went to uni in the city.. Would it be a big waste to resell after 18 months??
Not really, used cars maintain their value as they are already depreciated.

If you are getting a car for HS only, it's not worth it lol. Idk why you want to sell it.

si2136

HSC
N/A
How are you nearly on your P's o_O

I haven't even reached 16 yet

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I can go for my P Plates in a few months, however I don't know if buying a car is worth all of the money when I could catch the school bus :uhoh:

Considering all of the costs, (I live about 30 mins from my school, also in a regional area with limited transport)
I am working 1 7hr shift a week and holidays, however I'm figure I wouldn't have much left over after paying for fuel, rego, maintenance etc. I know nothing about cars and my dad has warned me about the costs involved, however it is my decision wheather to buy one or not.

Did you have a car in your senior years??
Was it worth the cost involved to come and go from school etc (Particularly during Free Periods and Exam Blocks??)

Thank you :cool:
Unless you actually are into cars, then it's not worth it right now.
There are a tonne of costs that go into buying and just having a car i.e. fuel, insurance, rego, maintenance on top of the cost of just buying one
unless you need one, you should hold off and save up instead

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Unless you actually are into cars, then it's not worth it right now.
There are a tonne of costs that go into buying and just having a car i.e. fuel, insurance, rego, maintenance on top of the cost of just buying one
unless you need one, you should hold off and save up instead
this. And even if you're really into it, unless you're loaded (or have a very generous family member), it's going to take a pretty big dent out of you savings.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
this. And even if you're really into it, unless you're loaded (or have a very generous family member), it's going to take a pretty big dent out of you savings.
I loved the hell out of my first Liberty but I really should've gotten a motorbike first, so much cheaper to run.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
I loved the hell out of my first Liberty but I really should've gotten a motorbike first, so much cheaper to run.
I don't think you get that same feeling owning a bike before your first car.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
I don't think you get that same feeling owning a bike before your first car. But I wouldn't know because I haven't gotten either as of yet :)

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think you get that same feeling owning a bike before your first car. But I wouldn't know because I haven't gotten either as of yet :)
This is true. Just ask Serem how excited I was over my first proper car ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)