Is there hope without a God? (1 Viewer)

Is there hope without a god?

• Yes there is HOPE without a god

Votes: 41 69.5%
  • No there is NOT HOPE without a god

Votes: 18 30.5%

• Total voters
HSC
Is there hope in the world without a god? If so what is this hope, where is the basis of this hope found? If not what hope does this God bring to human life or what do you do without hope in such a world as this?

I think that it is important to bring up these sort of topics once in a while and to listen to what people say and read there comments then respectfully reply with our point of veiw. Please try and take the time to be respectful. It is good to get to understand different points of view so that we can make informed decisions and reply without ignorance

Last edited:

Orwell

HSC
I'm a Catholic and despite not going to Church or 'expressing' my faith in the sense of adhering to a routine schedule of devout servitude, I still feel as if I maintain a connection with the deity. What you've stated above, I took to mean two things;

1) Is there hope for mankind without the existence of God but the belief in God?
2) Is there hope for mankind with/without the existence of God but no belief of a God?

Which is it you're asking?

HSC
belief in God is a personal decision and needs to be carefully considered. What I am asking is
If god does not exist is there hope and where is that hope found (i.e. in family )
does the existance of hope in life rely upon the existance of a god (i.e. would there be no hope with no god)

Orwell

HSC
Yes, but you're saying that belief in God is a personal choice made according to one's volition and then you got on to say what if God does not exist. What doesn't make sense is that if you can believe in God then the notion of God's nonexistence is downplayed, in addition to this, if God truly didn't exist we wouldn't even know.

However the question of 'Does hope rely upon the existence of God?' Hope in the afterlife? Yes. Hope in the second-coming? Yes. Hope in whether or not McDonald's opens a restaurant near you? No. I find this question difficult to answer, and I found myself circulating back to the meaning of life and I also began to ask myself if whether or not I'll be petrified by the notion of no afterlife. Granted I live a fulfilling life, I don't care.

"You are the accidental by-product of nature, a result of matter plus time plus chance. There is no reason for your existence. All you face is death." I'd like to think it's more than this, it's definitely not accounting for the life we lead and of course, the part of us we leave behind. Ultimately, to answer 'Is there hope without a God?' in a very broad and general sense, I guess so.

HSC
My intentions in posting this were to allow people to delve into such questions of existance and the notion of hope. It is an abstract existential question and I am glad that it allowed you to think about life's meaning and your views on this. Maybe I should start a new thread about what hope is but I feel like maybe thats for another night.
The question of god's existance does go hand in hand with a question like this and thus is open to respectful discussion here.
I think the question you are battling with is what does hope mean. I am refering to a longer lived hope than that of the hope of an open mcdonalds around the corner. I guess my hope links more in with the purpose of life. Does life have a purpose? Is God the purpose of our lives? What brings hope to our existance.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Not necessarily God - but a belief in a higher form of enlightenment/figure is a requirement for hope.

Orwell

HSC
Dude, read the rest of my post. I don't like to affiliate with the Church at all and I'm disgusted by the lack of transparency shown by the Church especially when it pertains to pedophilia. I prefer a more intimate connection with God and I think of him more as a fatherly figure than someone I got to kneel down to just to speak with.

Orwell

HSC
But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?

Not going to start praying for Satan but it's interesting. It's a Mark Twain quote.

plane

HSC
N/A
But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?

Not going to start praying for Satan but it's interesting. It's a Mark Twain quote.
Satan worshipper confirmed :p

cookie_dough

HSC
N/A
Hope should solely come from within, we all have the strength within ourselves to persevere and achieve our strongest desires. It is this self-belief which provides the greatest hope that what we want will come to be. It is foolish to think a belief in God is a requirement, if god does exist he/she will not randomly grant everyones wishes

durrrrr

Banned
HSC

praying for satan is heresy

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Is there hope in the world without a god? If so what is this hope, where is the basis of this hope found? If not what hope does this God bring to human life or what do you do without hope in such a world as this?

I think that it is important to bring up these sort of topics once in a while and to listen to what people say and read there comments then respectfully reply with our point of veiw. Please try and take the time to be respectful. It is good to get to understand different points of view so that we can make informed decisions and reply without ignorance
you do realise there is a related thread on this...

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
My intentions in posting this were to allow people to delve into such questions of existance and the notion of hope. It is an abstract existential question and I am glad that it allowed you to think about life's meaning and your views on this. Maybe I should start a new thread about what hope is but I feel like maybe thats for another night.
The question of god's existance does go hand in hand with a question like this and thus is open to respectful discussion here.
I think the question you are battling with is what does hope mean. I am refering to a longer lived hope than that of the hope of an open mcdonalds around the corner. I guess my hope links more in with the purpose of life. Does life have a purpose? Is God the purpose of our lives? What brings hope to our existance.
there is a thread for that, note
http://community.boredofstudies.org/214/news-current-affairs-politics/106355/does-god-exist.html

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
The hypocrisy mate. You even have a symptom of internalised racism against your own ethnicity and culture that you belittle and insult.

Funny how you argue for other religions to reform in your many posts, whereas Catholicism hasn't faced any reformation in the many centuries?
The ignorance in this post (although I won't comment on the first); there was the Reformation in the 1600s, which led to what we call Protestantism; originally Luther's aim was to reform the church, especially he was opposed was with indulgences (paying for closer access to God); not start a new separate denomination.

There was also the counter-reformation movement as well. Even as a non-Catholic, I comment that there have been indeed movements within Catholicism to reform it in some measure; more recently, to put to end those things which you mentioned.

====

I will say even as one who believes in God and Christ; there is hope, especially in the concept of a resurrection; obviously there in most religions that believe in religion, including mine, there isn't really hope for those who don't believe.

I personally don't see any hope in reincarnation, and also hope is not in religion more generally (since I am using a broad category of religion, whose definition resembles that more so of "worldviews").

Last edited:

Comensite

HSC
The ignorance in this post (although I won't comment on the first); there was the Reformation in the 1600s, which led to what we call Protestantism; originally Luther's aim was to reform the church, especially he was opposed was with indulgences (paying for closer access to God); not start a new separate denomination.

There was also the counter-reformation movement as well. Even as a non-Catholic, I comment that there have been indeed movements within Catholicism to reform it in some measure; more recently, to put to end those things which you mentioned.

====

I will say even as one who believes in God and Christ; there is hope, especially in the concept of a resurrection; obviously there in most religions that believe in religion, including mine, there isn't really hope for those who don't believe.

I personally don't see any hope in reincarnation, and also hope is not in religion more generally (since I am using a broad category of religion, whose definition resembles that more so of "worldviews").
dw ignore the cuck, he just tries to make his version of "Islam" better when its all the same shit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)