Do you hold to evolution or not? (1 Viewer)

Thoughts on Evolution?

• Meh, don't care // no bearing for life at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, firmly disagree (or firm skeptic)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty simple thread.
Defenders or skeptics, or fence-sitters; present your cases.

FYI
Just some notes:
This is kind of the flip side to the thread that already exists, so as a note, we are discussing evolution; if you want to discuss whether God or God(s) do or do not exist, there is a thread for that (which honestly has been going for ages); and you will find that this is a key thing to work. (Most people have ways of reconciling their positions in these areas as a note).

Arguments that don't work here are:

A. God created the world // Bible says so...
B. Therefore evolution is false

This argument would require that statement A is true, which is not the discussion of the thread (see Does God Exist?).
Even then statement A is not a necessary condition for statement B, meaning that statement A could be true, and statement B could be false (e.g. theistic evolutionists, some old-earth creationists)

A. I don't believe in God (or I hate religion) or this prominent atheist says so
B. therefore evolution is true

The first two are not logical arguments; and the third commits a fallacy (or at the very least is a weak assertion)

Please read the fallacies section (note to self: it is written by someone with bias, but so is this, so heck)

(note: In both cases the converse do not logical follow because -B (not B) does not imply -A (not A))

(If you want to discuss whether God exists or not, use the thread given for that)

DEFINITIONS
To start here are some concise definitions:

evolution: the process by which different kinds of living organism are believed to have developed from earlier forms during the history of the earth.

macro-evolution: major evolutionary change, especially with regard to the evolution of whole taxonomic groups over long periods of time.

taxonomy: orderly classification of plants and animals according to their presumed natural relationships.

micro-evolution: evolutionary change within a species or small group of organisms, especially over a short period.
(see #)

adaption (related to micro-evolution): the action or process of adapting or being adapted (see natural selection)

organism: an individual animal, plant, or single-celled life form.

natural-selection: the process whereby organisms better adapted to their environment tend to survive and produce more offspring. The theory of its action was first fully expounded by Charles Darwin, and it is now regarded as be the main process that brings about evolution.

adapt:
(1) make (something) suitable for a new use or purpose (opposite of preserve)
(2) become adjusted to new conditions. (this one is more useful in arguments fyi)

And.... I will post a little bit more, and then you guys can go loose on this...

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Pretty much the main group of people who dont believe in evolution are Americans, most of whom have yet to figure out that evolution and Christianity are NOT mutually exclusive concepts. Honestly, it stuns me that a country so ignorant of basic concepts sees itself as being an exceptional nation and world leader.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
lol even the catholic church backs the big bang theory and evolution.

checkm8 fringe christians.

durrrrr

Banned
HSC
Pretty much the main group of people who dont believe in evolution are Americans, most of whom have yet to figure out that evolution and Christianity are NOT mutually exclusive concepts. Honestly, it stuns me that a country so ignorant of basic concepts sees itself as being an exceptional nation and world leader.
That's....not even close to true. Wow.

You make a post calling people ignorant and yet you say something so incorrect. Smh.

durrrrr

Banned
HSC
I believe in evolution but I also believe that for some reason that it magically stopped at the neck and human populations living in vastly different environments for tens of thousands of years with different selective pressures amazingly did not evolve to have different cognitive traits whatsoever. It's very convenient that this happens to align with my modern day, politically correct progressive views.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I believe in evolution but I also believe that for some reason that it magically stopped at the neck and human populations living in vastly different environments for tens of thousands of years with different selective pressures amazingly did not evolve to have different cognitive traits whatsoever. It's very convenient that this happens to align with my modern day, politically correct progressive views.
I guess it was on its way but then we managed to adjust with artificial environments air con, clothing etc.

Red_of_Head

HSC

How different were the selective pressures different societies faced?

What do you think of things like the Flynn effect?

Kolmias

HSC
Still here?

Red_of_Head

HSC
Last edited:

durrrrr

Banned
HSC
1. Not to the same scale/extent as other places

2. Which is why middle easterners are different to pre-agricultural populations

it should be said though the difficulty of agriculture played a big part in the selection of "positive" traits

for example, in ancient egypt agriculture along the nile river was very easy and did not require much change in behavior compared to agriculture in much of europe or north east asia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)