Mathematics Extension 2 - 2016 Post-HSC Exam Thoughts (2 Viewers)

aiex_g

HSC
I don't really get how the bands work for 4u is it the same as other subjects like 90 is band 6/e4, 80 is band 5/e3 and 70 is band4/e2?

marxman

HSC
I don't really get how the bands work for 4u is it the same as other subjects like 90 is band 6/e4, 80 is band 5/e3 and 70 is band4/e2?
Those are the Exam marks - BOSTES aligns the raw marks to set those cut offs (the way they do so is not released to the public), so e.g a raw mark of 70 may be aligned to a 90 exam mark, which is an E4.

In any case, the best one can do is predict on the rawmark.info database.

Last edited:

sss0

HSC
N/A
What do you guys think is the lowest raw mark or hsc mark required for a state rank?
I'd say around 98+ (assuming one is first internally). Not sure if the cut off has ever gone below 98 for post 2012 exams. The exam this year was mainly to distinguish between people who are in low to mid E4 level, but for the top students, it was an absolute gift, because there was no question to distinguish them. This is of course, just my opinion. It will be great if some of the older, more experienced members here could have a say in this?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I also thought it looked like a 98+ (for state ranking), but I guess it depends on how many silly mistakes were made etc. Probably a lower mark could also nab a state rank, given good enough internals etc.

Wintz

HSC
for the inequalities, is this an appropriate proof?
x-1=x-1
x^1/2(x-1)>x-1
x*x^1/2 -x^1/2 >x-1
then rearranging gives
x*x^1/2 +1 >x^1/2 + x

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
for the inequalities, is this an appropriate proof?
x-1=x-1
x^1/2(x-1)>x-1
x*x^1/2 -x^1/2 >x-1
then rearranging gives
x*x^1/2 +1 >x^1/2 + x
I think you'd need to justify your second line. Whilst it is true for all non-negative x (well, put ≥ signs), the reasoning is different based on whether x is bigger than 1 or smaller than 1.

TigerBrah

HSC
Guyssssss!!!!!!

How many marks would i get for Q15 c p(ii).

I basically argued that the value of numerator follows the nth row of pascals triangle with interchanging signs of negative and positive depending on the value of k. I claimed this as observation from part (i). And hence the ak should be nCk (-1)^k

Hopefully maybe 1 mark?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Guyssssss!!!!!!

How many marks would i get for Q15 c p(ii).

I basically argued that the value of numerator follows the nth row of pascals triangle with interchanging signs of negative and positive depending on the value of k. I claimed this as observation from part (i). And hence the ak should be nCk (-1)^k

Hopefully maybe 1 mark?
Zero marks.

You did not demonstrate any understanding of the question. You just noticed a random pattern and made a guess from there.

hscc

HSC
N/A
For circle geometry I showed angle BPC = BCP =ø. Therefore OBC=2ø(exterior angle...). And OA = OC(radii). OA perpendicular to AQ and OC perpendicular to CQ(tangent perpendicular to radius). And I proved Triangle OAQ congruent to OCQ(RHS).

Would that be 1 mark or 2 marks? :confused2:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)