First Year Mathematics A (Differentiation & Linear Algebra) (2 Viewers)

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
Re: MATH1131 help thread

[R] Requires IVT (not hard).

[H] Write the polynomial as: p3(x) = p2(x) + x3/3!. Then use previous part and calculus (monotonicity) to argue that p3 has exactly one root.

leehuan

HSC

View attachment 33883

Do I need to find some sort of interval to use MVT or IVT?
Yes, you do need to find an interval to use the IVT for [R]. But since the question just specifies that at least one root must exist, nobody is going to care what interval you pick. You just have to pick any interval that works.

[H] is different because you're trying to prove that no root exists. Hint: Think 2U, because you're given a quadratic.
You can then use what He-Mann suggested.

matchalolz

HSC

[R] Requires IVT (not hard).

[H] Write the polynomial as: p3(x) = p2(x) + x3/3!. Then use previous part and calculus (monotonicity) to argue that p3 has exactly one root.
Ok so I got the first part with IVT as you suggested,

with the second part, I concluded that p2(x) has only one stationery point (-1,1/2) and its concave up, hence it can't ever touch the x axis. So can you just say because p2(x) is always positive, p3(x) can only have one root?

matchalolz

HSC

Yes, you do need to find an interval to use the IVT for [R]. But since the question just specifies that at least one root must exist, nobody is going to care what interval you pick. You just have to pick any interval that works.

[H] is different because you're trying to prove that no root exists. Hint: Think 2U, because you're given a quadratic.
You can then use what He-Mann suggested.
How would you know whether to use IVT or MVT? I think I'm kind of confused over that

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Ok so I got the first part with IVT as you suggested,

with the second part, I concluded that p2(x) has only one stationery point (-1,-1/2) and its concave up, hence it can't ever touch the x axis. So can you just say because p2(x) is always positive, p3(x) can only have one root?

leehuan

HSC

How would you know whether to use IVT or MVT? I think I'm kind of confused over that
For starters
The IVT is related to f
The MVT is related to f'
Whilst obvious, this saved me a bit of thinking a few times.

Perhaps more clearly, very rarely do you ever use the MVT to show the existence of the root. The IVT wants you to examine the actual function values, so it's the more suitable one. The MVT is considering the gradient.

matchalolz

HSC

For starters
The IVT is related to f
The MVT is related to f'
Whilst obvious, this saved me a bit of thinking a few times.

Perhaps more clearly, very rarely do you ever use the MVT to show the existence of the root. The IVT wants you to examine the actual function values, so it's the more suitable one. The MVT is considering the gradient.
I'll keep that in mind

It's probably going to take some time before this fully sinks into my mind

matchalolz

HSC

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 4.35.55 pm.png

i can't use l'hopital's rule for this can I? How am I meant to know what sin(1/x) even looks like in the first place?

matchalolz

HSC

Wait never mind, I kind of get it in my head but I don't know how to write the working out formally

matchalolz

HSC

The question was to simplify the expression.

are you subtracting x from 180 degrees because the range of the the sine inverse function is restricted to between -90 and 90 degrees?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

The question was to simplify the expression.

are you subtracting x from 180 degrees because the range of the the sine inverse function is restricted to between -90 and 90 degrees?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)