How to study for the new science syllabuses? (1 Viewer)

worldno17

HSC
N/A
Hi all!
I'll be in Year 11 next year, which means that I'll be doing the new syllabuses for my science subjects (chemistry, biology, physics).
What resources do I use? Which textbooks? How do I prepare in the summer holidays?
Also, do you guys recommend any science tutoring centres? I'd love to learn ahead in the holidays.

Thanks!

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
There will probably be new textbooks released so look out for them at like Pascal Press and Dymocks (bought most of my stuff from there). A lot of the old syllabus is still in there too so you can still make use of parts of the notes from the old syllabus. Summer holidays maybe just read the textbook and make a little bit of notes.

I went to matrix in year 12 it helped quiet a bit but is expensive (not sure if the same teachers are there for year 11 so maybe not as good.

Also, watch stuff on Khan Academy or youtube videos online really helps :)

Best of luck :D

SuperAltastic

HSC
In addition to what jazz519 said, I would first print out my prelim syllabi and read them to get a feel for what they are going to ask. Than to best practice for the HSC (as that is what prelim is, a chance to make any mistake you want i.e. the ways to take notes, memorise or not to memorise or just to figure out how you study), do what you feel is best wether that be read the text book or make notes dot point by dot point. After you have done this for a month or so re asses how you think your study is going, do you want to change it up than do so and continue.

Also best of luck.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hi all!
I'll be in Year 11 next year, which means that I'll be doing the new syllabuses for my science subjects (chemistry, biology, physics).
What resources do I use? Which textbooks? How do I prepare in the summer holidays?
Also, do you guys recommend any science tutoring centres? I'd love to learn ahead in the holidays.

Thanks!
I'd recommend sorting the syllabus into 4 docs with dot points and writing notes under each heading using textbooks (most likely released soon) and google in general. Also when people sell their notes you could probably compare your notes with theirs to get an idea of what to put in.

I'd recommend making the notes as detailed as possible as you don't know anything they will ask as it is the first year of the new syllabus.

Sigma science is quite good for tutoring physics (I went there) and it's cheap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)