UNSW chit chat thread (1 Viewer)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2017

For my course i need to do math1141, phys1131, elec1111, eng1000, elec2141 and comp1511. The first 4 ive chosen for semester 1. Comp1511 is available semester 2 so thats alright. However, if elec2141 isnt available next semester what should i do? The pre-requisite for elec2141 is elec1111, so isn’t it logical if i do elec1111 first (in semester 1)? Should i call them and ask them to enrol me in semester 1 anyway, despite not having done its requisite? How else am i supposed to successfully finish the BE/ME Electrical subject requirements for first year?
Do a general education course

tazhossain99

HSC

Do a general education course
So basically, instead of doing the ELEC2141 course in semester 2 (since thats not available) i should do another course from the 2nd year recommendation (e.g. a general education course) and do ELEC2141 in semester 1 of 2019 to ‘replace’ the gen. ed course i did in semester 2 of 2018?

Also, could someone please explain free electives and general education courses (like the general difference), thanks.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

So basically, instead of doing the ELEC2141 course in semester 2 (since thats not available) i should do another course from the 2nd year recommendation (e.g. a general education course) and do ELEC2141 in semester 1 of 2019 to ‘replace’ the gen. ed course i did in semester 2 of 2018?

Also, could someone please explain free electives and general education courses (like the general difference), thanks.
yep

free elective = subjects from your faculty e.g. engineering OR other faculties arts, law, science etc.
gen ed = subjects only from outside your faculty arts, law, science etc.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

U can do 2141 and 1111 together with permission from the school

tazhossain99

HSC

How do we know what textbooks and notes and stuff we need for our subjects? Is there a list or something?

turntaker

HSC

need some ez gen eds or electives

SuxMATH

HSC
N/A

UNSW Business School has uploaded course outlines for semester 1 2018. This would be useful especially new students who can have a quick peek of what to expect. It would also be good to know whether there are changes to the courses this year (e.g. new textbooks so do not buy old versions unless suggested by the course administrators and not waste money). You can also check key dates like exams and quizzes and schedule your semester in case you need to notify your employers in advance.

Browse the course code and you will be able to find them: https://www.business.unsw.edu.au/degrees-courses/course-outlines/

collin599

HSC
N/A

What happens if you can't make it to a tut or lab, like if there was some family issue?
is it like school where you gotta get a note

aoc

HSC

You can usually skip 1-2 a semester since they have a 80% ( if i recall correctly) attendance rate, effectively meaning you can just skip 1-2 classes with no notice of absence. This is for business courses anyways. For labs however though it may vary, for chemistry since you are tested each lab, missing a lab means you lose marks, though you can usually skip one if need be since they have some weeks where there are make up labs (there are procedures for this usually but you dont need a note once again). If you need to skip more than the allowed amount you might need to contact the appropriate people though. Check the course outlines when they come out for your courses because i doubt every course has the same attendance policy.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

What happens if you can't make it to a tut or lab, like if there was some family issue?
is it like school where you gotta get a note
Totes usually have min 80% attendance if classes so you can miss them if u want, but it varies from course to course. Labs are the same, but usually actual science labs are 100% attendance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)