Dropping a subject - currently 14 units (HSC 2018) (1 Viewer)

parasdeep1807

HSC
Hey guys just needed some advice on which subject i should drop?
I am currently doing the following:
-4 unit maths (rank 1 - 85%)
-3 unit maths (rank 1-100%)
-adv english (havent got rank back)
-physics (rank 1 -100%, ahead by 2 percent from second person)
-business studies (rank 2 only marginally - 92%)
-engineering studies (tried first- raw percentage was 93)
-chemistry (tied first - but percentage was 71)

I am confused on what to drop as I am aiming for a 99 atar but I personally dont think i can manage 14 units and do as well in them compared to 12 units.
I am not sure if i should drop engineering studies or chemistry due to the affects of scaling as i cannot find any information on engineering studies.
Currently i tied with the same person in chem and engineering.

I cannot decided due to the following reasons and need some advice:
- chemistry teacher is very bad so i have to self study everything which takes up alot of my time (and she hates me because i ask alot of questions)
- my engineering class is really bad and only me and the person i am tied with are getting good marks (restnare around 60-70% range) so im not sure how much my mark will get affected if i come second in terms of ranks at the end of the year.
- chemistry class is equally as bad but my raw marks are quite low i think
- I cannot decide if I want to do medicine ore engineering after year 12 (either way will still give umat a go)

And one more question- does anyone know if the information on rawmarks.info for engineering is correct for engineering. It states that a raw mark of 80% become a 95 hsc reported mark? Not sure if its correct as i though engineering doesnt scale that well.

Current school rank is around 250

Thank you so much for the help guys (and girls) and very sorry for the wall of text :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you know if any of your teachers mark the HSC?

Number of band 6s in respective subjects from previous years? (Look at top.scores)

I'm leaning towards you dropping chemistry at the moment.

Also what are you planning to study after HSC?

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
- my engineering class is really bad and only me and the person i am tied with are getting good marks (restnare around 60-70% range) so im not sure how much my mark will get affected if i come second in terms of ranks at the end of the year.
It really depends on the percentage gap in marks between you and first place if you do come second. For example, I came second in Chemistry by only 1% in my class since I slipped up on trials a little. There is a small number of students in our Chemistry class (around 8) and the gap between me and third was around 10%. I thought this would really screw my internals but it actually didn't - in the end, my internal and external marks were the same since our percentage mark gap was so close in rankings and the gap between me and third was much bigger.

And one more question- does anyone know if the information on rawmarks.info for engineering is correct for engineering. It states that a raw mark of 80% become a 95 hsc reported mark? Not sure if its correct as i though engineering doesnt scale that well.
I think the information on rawmarks.info is from students 'donating' their raw marks onto the website having purchased them from NESA. As a result, some people do indeed provide their actual raw and aligned marks whereas there could be the possibility of others just chucking in some random numbers that they created - however, I'm pretty sure that the website has an admin staff that basically makes sure that the marks being put up there are reasonable and sensible.

Also in terms of answering your main question, I would keep the subject you enjoy the most/the most passionate about - you'll probably do better in it and have a good chance of being first place if you continue to work hard in it!

I would also agree with BLIT as well - I'm also leaning towards you dropping Chemistry. Your Engineering mark looks strong and I'm assuming you don't have any complaints about your teacher which is another bonus. Also, if you do very well in it, don't worry too much if the scaling is a lower than Chemistry - it's better to do well in a 'normal' scaling subject rather than ok in a high scaling subject.

Good luck!

Last edited:

parasdeep1807

HSC
Do you know if any of your teachers mark the HSC?

Number of band 6s in respective subjects from previous years? (Look at top.scores)

I'm leaning towards you dropping chemistry at the moment.

Also what are you planning to study after HSC?

Both of my teachers are hsc marks (both chem and engineering).
I like my engineering teacher but really dislike our chemistry teacher (and so does the rest of the class) as she barely teaches us in class and forces us to do the worksheets she gives which are not really that helpful.

My school hasnt gotten a band 6 for chemistry, engineering or physics for a few years but most of the teachers i have have told me that our year group is much stronger than the previous years and we should be able to get a few band 6's for physics. My engineering teacher said that if we (me and the person in am tied with) continue to achieve the same results as year 11 we will get a band 6 for sure - we ended up with the same percentage at the end of year 11 up to 3 decimal points :lol: Im not to sure about chemistry as the teacher wont really tell us much and she is very unapproachable.

Im planning to study either engineering to medicine after year 12.

Thank you for the reply. I am also leaning over to dropping chem as during class time we are not able to use our time very well, thus it requires an increased study time at home.

parasdeep1807

HSC
It really depends on the percentage gap in marks between you and first place if you do come second.

however, I'm pretty sure that the website has an admin staff that basically makes sure that the marks being put up there are reasonable and sensible.

Also in terms of answering your main question, I would keep the subject you enjoy the most/the most passionate about - you'll probably do better in it and have a good chance of being first place if you continue to work hard in it!

Yeah I would agree with BLIT here - I'm also leaning towards you dropping Chemistry. Your Engineering mark looks strong and I'm assuming you don't have any complaints about your teacher which is another bonus. Also, if you do very well in it, don't worry too much if the scaling is a lower than Chemistry - it's better to do well in a 'normal' scaling subject rather than ok in a high scaling subject.

Good luck!
Yup, i will try to keep my percentage gap minimal as there are only 8 people in both my engineering class and chemistry class. That is the thing that worries me for engineering (the scaling part) as the class is very small and i just dont want to end up with small percentage gap between 1st, 2nd and 3th as that will make up almost half the class and the risk of us stuff up scares me if that makes sense?

I like chemistry as a subject and find the content interesting but having to waste so much time in class while not being taught much is what really make me dislike keeping it. Most of the stuff i have learnt was from tutoring and self study.

I will most likely drop chemistry (unless my decision changes before school begins for some reason) and try to spend more time on engineering to try and get better results in that as i am more passionate about it.

Thanks for the reply

D94

HSC
N/A
And one more question- does anyone know if the information on rawmarks.info for engineering is correct for engineering. It states that a raw mark of 80% become a 95 hsc reported mark?
I think the information on rawmarks.info is from students 'donating' their raw marks onto the website having purchased them from NESA. As a result, some people do indeed provide their actual raw and aligned marks whereas there could be the possibility of others just chucking in some random numbers that they created - however, I'm pretty sure that the website has an admin staff that basically makes sure that the marks being put up there are reasonable and sensible.
Here is the source for the 80 -> 95: http://community.boredofstudies.org...13/316795/raw-marks-thread-8.html#post6538296

Not sure if its correct as i though engineering doesnt scale that well.
That is not scaling. Scaling is a completely separate process to what is occurring here. What you are seeing is aligning. The Board determined that a result of 80% was equivalent to the standards of a mid Band 6. In the aligning process, the Board determines what result is that of a Band 6, Band 5 etc. standard, then aligns those results to a new score which becomes your reported marks. In the process of scaling, which is carried out by UAC for the purposes of determining your ATAR, whereby your raw marks are scaled to fairly compare one set of subjects to another. Aligning doesn't care about how you went in another subjects.

Minnie Moo

HSC
N/A
Hi

How do you know what band is your school?

Thanks

Both of my teachers are hsc marks (both chem and engineering).
I like my engineering teacher but really dislike our chemistry teacher (and so does the rest of the class) as she barely teaches us in class and forces us to do the worksheets she gives which are not really that helpful.

My school hasnt gotten a band 6 for chemistry, engineering or physics for a few years but most of the teachers i have have told me that our year group is much stronger than the previous years and we should be able to get a few band 6's for physics. My engineering teacher said that if we (me and the person in am tied with) continue to achieve the same results as year 11 we will get a band 6 for sure - we ended up with the same percentage at the end of year 11 up to 3 decimal points :lol: Im not to sure about chemistry as the teacher wont really tell us much and she is very unapproachable.

Im planning to study either engineering to medicine after year 12.

Thank you for the reply. I am also leaning over to dropping chem as during class time we are not able to use our time very well, thus it requires an increased study time at home.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi

How do you know what band is your school?

Thanks
On google type "Hsc ninja [your school name]" and you can see the people and their band 6's for years 2016 and onwards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)