Math/Physics (1 Viewer)

Cujo10

HSC
Uni Grad
Using two formulas to find 2 unknowns called system of equations ? if so, how would you solve f=ma if m and a are unknown ?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Using two formulas to find 2 unknowns called system of equations ? if so, how would you solve f=ma if m and a are unknown ?
What do you mean by solve? What are you talking about?

Cujo10

HSC
Uni Grad
Just say M=10 and A is the unknown you can solve it for F but when M and A are unknown how to you solve it. My friend and physics told me that it can be solves for the unknowns using systems of equations, but i never learnt that. For F=MA to solve for two unknown you need to use two other equation M=F/A and A=F/M its called systems equations i think.

HoldingOn

HSC
I think he might be referring to what we would call 'simultaneous equations'. Are these in the general maths syllabus? Surely they are.

Cujo10

HSC
Uni Grad
That is the one i meant, i got the name mixed up :haha: but how would you still solve the missing variable problem using simultaneous equations ?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Why don't you just post an actual question of this type?

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
With simultaneous equations and multiple unknowns, you need several pieces of information. Generally you need one equation for each unknown quantity. So if you have two unknowns you need two equations.

And you can't "cheat" by rearranging the first equation and using that as the second, because when you try to solve it you will end up getting an equation like or that is as useless as it is true.

For example the equation has infinitely many possible solutions for and , so you need more information to go off.

Suppose you are then given .

So now you have two equations:

We can rearrange the second equation, giving us and then we can substitute this back into the first equation, giving:

And from there it is possible to solve for . Once you know you can then solve for .
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

In some more common cases it may be better to add the equations together:

Or subtract them:

But ultimately what you're trying to do is to focus on one variable by creating an equation without all the others. Once you have that variable you can use it to find the other(s).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)