english advanced kicking my ass (1 Viewer)

xiugarbeat

HSC
this year my eng adv scores have absolutely sucked ass
went from rank 1 in yr10 english to getting 55% in term 1 and 80% in term 2, which is an an improvement but that's not going to help my 74th rank at all :(......
but my English extension 1 rank is 2nd and I don't understand how I can do so badly in English advanced but maintain my rank in ext1??

so: should I go for tutoring? and if so, please recommend some good places I could go to!! + do you have any techniques for advanced? like study skills, analysing texts, etc.

ALSO: would it be a good idea to drop ext1 at this rate? because I want more time to focus on my advanced because that one is the one that counts the most isn't it? but my teacher recommended me to do ext2 but I don't think I could handle 4units of a subject I absolutely loathe :/

thanks for any advice you could give :')

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
You could always do Extension 2 English and have that count with your Extension 1 instead of Advanced :smile:. If I recall correctly, two english units have to count and there's nothing wrong with Ext 2 and Ext 1 counting instead of Adv English

But yeah if you do want to improve your Advanced English keep in mind the Advanced course is heavily focused around answering your module, be sure to learn your rubric well and use or address key words. Tutoring helps you get that grasp and given your marks with extension 1 I doubt its your raw writing ability, instead it's probably just how well you are answering the question.

Lumenoria

HSC
Omg dude, I had the exact same predicament as you. When I was in year 11, I ranked 30/67 for English Advanced on a mark of 73 (which was bad because our school drops bottom half of cohort to standard in HSC year - so I JUST made it through). However, I was coming, like, 4th in English Ext 1. I was prepared to take on both subjects in the HSC year, but had to drop English Ext 1 for unrelated reasons. Now I'm 2nd in English Advanced with a mark of 90 (cumulative mark and ranking after 3 assessments). I definitely think I stepped up my game in year 12 overall study wise so idk if it's directly because of dropping 3u English but there must've been some correlation. (3u English was consuming a LOT of my study time)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aoc

HSC
Although i ended up doing much better in year 12 english than i did in junior years a few tips that worked for me were:
-understand each module in depth and what the syllabus wants you to do
-have a prepared essay for each module (alongside extra quotes that you can throw in for unanticipated questions). This doesn't work for everyone but speaking for myself and friends who scored high band 6's in english, we all memorized essays and adapted rather than write an essay on the spot.
-learn how to adapt essays to various questions i.e. practice practice practice
-have a friend whose good at english read over your essay for you and tell them to identify flaws (this was the most important for me - peer reviews)
-dont really need tutoring, the main thing i got out of tutoring was resources rather than help (esp. since it seems like your pretty good at english already)

Last edited:

aoc

HSC
lol are they really a friend if theyre trying to sabotage you then? Maybe i was lucky and had a group of people who werent that bad. And yeah in my case if i saw a good point a friend made or a good quote id ask if i could "copy" (really im taking the point and adding my take on it) and vice versa (they can take good points in my essay and add their flair). But i do get your point if youre surrounded by snakes go to a tutor.

Danny Bechara

HSC
this year my eng adv scores have absolutely sucked ass
went from rank 1 in yr10 english to getting 55% in term 1 and 80% in term 2, which is an an improvement but that's not going to help my 74th rank at all :(......
but my English extension 1 rank is 2nd and I don't understand how I can do so badly in English advanced but maintain my rank in ext1??

so: should I go for tutoring? and if so, please recommend some good places I could go to!! + do you have any techniques for advanced? like study skills, analysing texts, etc.

ALSO: would it be a good idea to drop ext1 at this rate? because I want more time to focus on my advanced because that one is the one that counts the most isn't it? but my teacher recommended me to do ext2 but I don't think I could handle 4units of a subject I absolutely loathe :/

thanks for any advice you could give :')
I am doing 3U this year too and I am in EXACTLY the same position as you, I'm 4th in my Ext class and who knows what rank in Advanced. I think you should just stick it out to the end of prelims and see how you feel come HSC, hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)