Organic and Inorganic Tests???? (1 Viewer)

bjw22

HSC
Ummmmm.... what exactly are organic and inorganic tests??? - see 2010 HSC chem 36dii?

I hate chemistry so much... was enjoying it until we started all this organic rubbish in forensic.

Powereaper

HSC
Ummmmm.... what exactly are organic and inorganic tests??? - see 2010 HSC chem 36dii?

I hate chemistry so much... was enjoying it until we started all this organic rubbish in forensic.
Yeah I saw that, the guys who put these questions don't even seem to have read the syllabus at all.
Every note I've seen hasn't mentioned this, even T.B.s don't.
Foresnic Chem is an interesting topic, but I can see why it's not there along with industrial.

bjw22

HSC
I cannot put my hate of organic and forensic chemistry into words. The questions are usually quite generic until they throw something like this in.

Powereaper

HSC
I cannot put my hate of organic and forensic chemistry into words. The questions are usually quite generic until they throw something like this in.
Before it had investigating clues and comparing chromotograms and spectras and so forth.
Now it's just basially HPLC vs GLC, or DNA analysis. Just basically memorisation all the way, with a few questions that are somehow "from the syllabus".

Karldahemster

Student
HSC

I just did that paper.
Organic = humus content in soil (heat sample in oven to burn off organic matter and then calculate the amount of organic matter in each sample).
Inorganic = Measure the pH of both samples using universal indicator.

BTW forensics sucks

Shadowfaxx

HSC
N/A
Organic test is complete combustion or incomplete combustion producing CO2 and CO only. Or reacts with air to decompose. Can be confirmed by mass spectroscopy.

Powereaper

HSC
Btw for the reason behind emission spectra, can we give the same reason as done in Quanta, or do we have to dumb it down?

bjw22

HSC
Btw for the reason behind emission spectra, can we give the same reason as done in Quanta, or do we have to dumb it down?
I didn't do quanta but I usually reference E=hf and unique energy levels, therefore discrete energy packets resulting in unique frequencies emitted.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
the markers usually have a knowledge of physics as well since the two sciences are closely linked, so just write the same stuff, it will show greater detail

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)