Views on year 11 english extension? (1 Viewer)

periodmami

HSC
Just asking for the review of the year 11 English ext.1 course.

Is it worth it? Was it fun and harder than advanced/literature?

I received marks of over 95% on all tasks in year 10, so i chose it.

Thank you!

elobski

HSC
Extension english is definitely more work than advanced english in that a higher level of analysis and understanding of your texts will be required in order to achieve highly. Furthermore, to excel you must also have pretty good time management and dedication to your work because, as far as one unit courses go, english extension probably requires the most time and work; the one unit of english extension is probably equivalent to two units of advanced in terms of workload. With that being said, if you enjoy english as a subject and score as highly as you say, extension english is definitely a very rewarding subject both intellectually and academically.

Hope that helps!

periodmami

HSC
Extension english is definitely more work than advanced english in that a higher level of analysis and understanding of your texts will be required in order to achieve highly. Furthermore, to excel you must also have pretty good time management and dedication to your work because, as far as one unit courses go, english extension probably requires the most time and work; the one unit of english extension is probably equivalent to two units of advanced in terms of workload. With that being said, if you enjoy english as a subject and score as highly as you say, extension english is definitely a very rewarding subject both intellectually and academically.

Hope that helps!
Thank you!! That was extremely helpful, I am nervous for the workload, but I will push through. Did you take extension?

elobski

HSC
Thank you!! That was extremely helpful, I am nervous for the workload, but I will push through. Did you take extension?
Yeah I'm currently in year 11 doing extension but, if I'm honest, I probably would have just gone with advanced if extension wasn't mandatory at my school and I'm probably gonna drop it come year 12. Best of luck to you and make sure you use all the resources you can (especially on this website) because it really does help when it comes to subjects like extension english where a deeper understanding is required!

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Yeah I'm currently in year 11 doing extension but, if I'm honest, I probably would have just gone with advanced if extension wasn't mandatory at my school and I'm probably gonna drop it come year 12. Best of luck to you and make sure you use all the resources you can (especially on this website) because it really does help when it comes to subjects like extension english where a deeper understanding is required!
What it's compulsory? Wow. Good luck in your exams. Are you also doing extension 1 math?

elobski

HSC
wow, tough subjects... Hope you ace them. Do you think advanced math is better or extension math?
It really depends. In terms of scaling and stuff it's definitely great but that's granted you do well in it. It's much better to get a band 6 in just maths advanced than to mess around and easy time with maths extension. Don't choose subjects for scaling, ace what you're good at.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
It really depends. In terms of scaling and stuff it's definitely great but that's granted you do well in it. It's much better to get a band 6 in just maths advanced than to mess around and easy time with maths extension. Don't choose subjects for scaling, ace what you're good at.
Oh ok. Are you also planning to do extension math 2? Also in math extension 1 what topics is their a more focus on?

Kangaaroo

HSC
N/A
Oh ok. Are you also planning to do extension math 2? Also in math extension 1 what topics is their a more focus on?
You focus on extending ideas in the 2 unit course in terms of functions, graphs and calculus, and also new topics are introduced, like further trig, perms & combs and polynomials

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)