HSC Standard/Advanced Paper 1 Exam Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Heresy

HSC
Hahaha,
I actually liked the plot of The Crucible
I hated the analysis and writing about. I would've just loved to read it and end it there.
Same here - I feel as though that's the case with all of the texts that I've studied this year. It's just the analysis that pisses me off - I get the message, piss off... 😂😂😂

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Same here - I feel as though that's the case with all of the texts that I've studied this year. It's just the analysis that pisses me off - I get the message, piss off... 😂😂😂
It's like that meme.

Author when writing the text: "I'm gonna make the curtains blue because it's my favorite color"

English teacher: "Clearly the choice of blue displays the deep inner desires of the protagonist and the deep sense of belonging to nature as such creating the illusion of peace and harmony"

Author: "wtf?"

StudyOnly

HSC
It's like that meme.

Author when writing the text: "I'm gonna make the curtains blue because it's my favorite color"

English teacher: "Clearly the choice of blue displays the deep inner desires of the protagonist and the deep sense of belonging to nature as such creating the illusion of peace and harmony"

Author: "wtf?"
tHe AuThOr hAs pUrPosELy cHoSen tHeSe teChNiQuEs

Bandsaw27

HSC
Paper 2's gonna be cooked. Maybe for The Castle they'll ask how the ergonomic chairs Steve bought for $180 represent Airlink's expansion efforts.

lucyfitz

HSC
I am so screwed for paper 2 it's not even funny. I'm still laughing though. Oh well, at least I can find humour in my shitty atar...

Munti

92.25 ATAR! hmu for tutoring :) im cheap
HSC
Someone please provide some guidance for me!!

For the boomerang question I wrote about how the boomerang is symbolic of bravery and fortitude when faced with adversity and uncertainty, as represented by the moment of tension in 'the storm'. Is that a plausible interpretation???

For 1984 I only managed almost 5 pages (XD)- but this was the gist of my essay:
Orwell encourages responders to reconsider the nature of isolation by emphasising how it arises from oppression, and how the pursuit of power is isolating for those who pursue it.
(1) Newspeak leads to loneliness due to the lack of individuals to communicate, constant surveillance prevents relationships and hence fosters isolation
(2) Orwell focalises the impact of loneliness due to oppression through characterisation of Winston (and a bunch of quotes about his torture and solitary confinement leading to his isolation - a stretch I know)
(3) How the source of such oppression is the pursuit of power which is isolating for those who pursue it (O'Brien quotes)

is that okay??? Or have I completely messed up???

Bandsaw27

HSC
Apparently Uncle Steve in the boomerang poem was dead - that's the connection you had to write about, the hand that reached down from the clouds (whatever the sentence was) was supposed to represent him guiding the persona's boomerangs (which I guess might be able to be interpreted as the persona's life? dunno)

lucyfitz

HSC
Apparently Uncle Steve in the boomerang poem was dead - that's the connection you had to write about, the hand that reached down from the clouds (whatever the sentence was) was supposed to represent him guiding the persona's boomerangs (which I guess might be able to be interpreted as the persona's life? dunno)
Yeah I heard this too! I fucked that up if that's true... don't know if i even mentioned Steveo to be honest...

Bandsaw27

HSC
Yeah I heard this too! I fucked that up if that's true... don't know if i even mentioned Steveo to be honest...
I never mentioned/realised the uncle was dead - I said something like, "the quote "riding the storm" elicits the imagery of two hardy individuals withstanding the intense weather"

Munti

HSC
oml my interpretation is completely and utterly wrong then

Bandsaw27

HSC
oml my interpretation is completely and utterly wrong then
You'll probably be fine as long as you could back up your point with textual evidence... it actually seems the more abstract interpretations score better because it's more outside of the box. Who knows?

StudyOnly

HSC
I really hope we get a discursive (or at least a choice) tomorrow, that is the only think I have a chance of doing well in. :oldfrown:

Bandsaw27

HSC
I really hope we get a discursive (or at least a choice) tomorrow, that is the only think I have a chance of doing well in. :oldfrown:
Same. I don't get why everyone freaks out about discursives, they're actually easier because you can throw in personal anecdotes and whatnot... don't need to rely entirely on quotes you may or may not have memorised

Munti

HSC
for a discursive will they give a stimulus? if so, how long will the stimulus be?

Bandsaw27

HSC
for a discursive will they give a stimulus? if so, how long will the stimulus be?
In my trial the stimulus was only a few lines, so I'm guessing it's the same for paper 2. Although they could just do a picture for all we know.

Hithcock

HSC
The answer is we don't know. They could tell us to explore a certain concern in one of our prescribed texts or give a stimulus for us to write about. The stimulus itself would most probably be a quote of 1-2 lines, could be more.

akkjen

HSC
N/A
on another note, does anyones eyes get blurry after staring at your exam paper for 2+ hours. like when you look long distances it is blurry, but after few minutes looking around at things it goes to normal? or is it just me?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)