Good Textbooks for MX1 (1 Viewer)

SpiderX1X

HSC
I'm in Year 10 going into Year 11 at the moment and since there is a new syllabus I would like the know which textbooks are good for MX1, I heard Cambridge is good. Any other suggestions, what about Excel and all that.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
My time to shine! So I am one of the authors of this book series here which does Adv, MX1 and MX2 (coming soon).

We have lots of questions that are structured and scaffolded for students still new to the topic. We also have super challenging questions at the end of each exercise. Our goal was to make it a no-bullshit book just full of questions, and so far we've received a lot of praise for taking that approach.

vinlatte

HSC
I'm currently in yr 12 (2020) and finished the MX1 course for yr 11. I've been using the New Senior Mathematics (aka Fitzpatrick / Fitzy) and the Maths in Focus.

The fitz textbook is better for exercises as their explanation is mixed with boxes of examples that make the layout seem too messy. Plus if the fitz textbook has an online code, you can use an app to access the textbook. It is much easier when studying at school since you won't have a heavy book; but in class, it feels more natural to flip through the textbook.

Recently, I have been using the Math in Focus and it's amazing. Their explanation is quite easy to understand the concept, and includes helpful investigation sections. I haven't used it in class since the teacher uses the fitz book, so I haven't attempted their exercises yet.

It really helps to have two textbooks as they'll have different examples for the types of questions for each topic. I would recommend to ask your math teachers about borrowing textbooks, they might even order any additional textbooks you ask for.

Also for the new syllabus, it mostly affected MX2 (which you can pick up in yr 12) and rearranged topics in MX1 and adv. As long as you understand the concepts in adv, then MX1 will be easier as it'll build onto your existing knowledge. Good luck for yr 11!

Last edited:

SpiderX1X

HSC
I'm currently in yr 12 (2020) and finished the MX1 course for yr 11. I've been using the New Senior Mathematics (aka Fitzpatrick / Fitzy) and the Maths in Focus.

The fitz textbook is better for exercises as their explanation is mixed with boxes of examples that make the layout seem too messy. Plus if the fitz textbook has an online code, you can use an app to access the textbook. It is much easier when studying at school since you won't have a heavy book; but in class, it feels more natural to flip through the textbook.

Recently, I have been using the Math in Focus and it's amazing. Their explanation is quite easy to understand the concept, and includes helpful investigation sections. I haven't used it in class since the teacher uses the fitz book, so I haven't attempted their exercises yet.

It really helps to have two textbooks as they'll have different examples for the types of questions for each topic. I would recommend to ask your math teachers about borrowing textbooks, they might even order any textbook you ask for.

Also for the new syllabus, it mostly affected MX2 (which you can pick up in yr 12) and rearranged topics in MX1 and adv. As long as you understand the concepts in adv, then MX1 will be easier as it'll build onto you existing knowledge. Good luck for yr 11!
Thank you!

akaalfauj

HSC
I used the Maths in Focus textbook for 2unit/ext1 for the old syllabus, and it was very good for learning new concepts and topics. It also had many worked examples for different types of questions. However, it didn't have more challenging/exam style questions.
These points would probably translate into the new syllabus maths in focus textbooks.

Arrowshaft

HSC
As previous posters have said, Maths in Focus DO NOT rely on it for exercises, it is very weak in offering HSC style questions (mostly plug and chug), their explanations however are good except for the occasional issues. For the old syllabus, I found Cambridge amazing and very intellectually stimulating - combining topics from a variety of topics and even having an extension section for 4u students to have a go at. If the new Cambridge books are still authored by Bill Pender and the gang, highly recommended. Also, if Carrotsticks published a book, JACKPOT, 😍 wish he did that for our syllabus

Time&moretime

HSC
I recently looked at the new Cambridge Mathematics books MX1 & 2. I would appreciate your opinions.
I have the previous Fitzpatrick book, the blue one written for the old syllabus. Wondering if I need to buy the updated version? Any thoughts or advice? Thanking you ahead.

vinlatte

HSC
I recently looked at the new Cambridge Mathematics books MX1 & 2. I would appreciate your opinions.
I have the previous Fitzpatrick book, the blue one written for the old syllabus. Wondering if I need to buy the updated version? Any thoughts or advice? Thanking you ahead.
If it helps, these are the chapters for the new syllabus version of the Fitz blue textbook:

(yr 11) further work with functions, polynomials, graphing functions, further trig identities, inverse functions, permutations and combinations, rates of change and their application

(yr 12) trigonometric equations, proof by mathematical induction, vectors in two dimensions, applications of calculus, differential equations, motion forces and projectiles, the binomial distribution

If the topics are different, it is best to buy a new textbook for the new syllabus if you are doing the HSC for 2020 and beyond.

My school has been using the Fitz textbooks since that was available at the start of the year. Maths in Focus textbooks were published a few weeks ago and I'm still new at using the book. I'm sure Cambridge also published recently so I haven't used their textbook yet.

I'm not sure if it with other textbooks, but the Fitz textbook has some errors in the questions without worked solutions (even numbered questions may have errors). It's probably due to how quickly they had to publish. My class and teacher found 3 errors out of all of the yr 11 chapters. I would suggest using photomath or some other app to double check the answers.

Time&moretime

HSC
If it helps, these are the chapters for the new syllabus version of the Fitz blue textbook:

(yr 11) further work with functions, polynomials, graphing functions, further trig identities, inverse functions, permutations and combinations, rates of change and their application

(yr 12) trigonometric equations, proof by mathematical induction, vectors in two dimensions, applications of calculus, differential equations, motion forces and projectiles, the binomial distribution

If the topics are different, it is best to buy a new textbook for the new syllabus if you are doing the HSC for 2020 and beyond.

My school has been using the Fitz textbooks since that was available at the start of the year. Maths in Focus textbooks were published a few weeks ago and I'm still new at using the book. I'm sure Cambridge also published recently so I haven't used their textbook yet.

I'm not sure if it with other textbooks, but the Fitz textbook has some errors in the questions without worked solutions (even numbered questions may have errors). It's probably due to how quickly they had to publish. My class and teacher found 3 errors out of all of the yr 11 chapters. I would suggest using photomath or some other app to double check the answers.
Thank you for your comments. Much appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)