Physics Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Arrowshaft

HSC
TheOnePheeph provided a brilliant explanation. Also remember @Faye19, changing the intensity only changes the amount of photoelectrons emitted (photocurrent), while changing the frequency corresponds to a change in the maximum kinetic energy (and hence stopping voltage).

Hscbuzman

HSC
I suspect a lot of the questions will be nice and direct from the syllabus so wouldn't worry about those niche stuff. In a few years it will be a different story but due to the fact it is a new syllabus and they have heaps of new things to ask I suspect the content will be direct from the syllabus and no vaguely as seen sometimes

Arrowshaft

HSC
What uni are you planning on going to next year? I'm planning on doing a maths degree at ANU, paired with science possibly if I do well in the hsc science courses.
ANU sounds cool! It is ranked 20 from QS. I was planning on doing a double major in maths and physics for advanced science at USYD and possibly combining it with comp sci, idk. Is ANU good for sciences though?

TheOnePheeph

HSC
ANU sounds cool! It is ranked 20 from QS. I was planning on doing a double major in maths and physics for advanced science and possibly combining it? Is ANU good for sciences though?
ANU is apparently top ranked for science and maths. Maths is especially good there - at other unis like sydney I've heard a in the first year maths course they do a lot of revising of x2 content, whereas at ANU their advanced stream starts straight off with linear algebra, and has a huge focus on developing mathematical intuition and proof skills. I'm not certain of how good ANU really is, but it seems like a really good place to do maths/science which is why I've chosen it. Its engineering is garbage though, which is why it sometimes gets a bad reputation.

Arrowshaft

HSC
ANU is apparently top ranked for science and maths. Maths is especially good there - at other unis like sydney I've heard a lot of the first year maths course they do a lot of revising of x2 content, whereas at ANU their stream starts straight off with linear algebra, and has a huge focus on developing mathematical intuition and proof skills. Its engineering is garbage though, which is why it sometimes gets a bad reputation.
That sounds amazing. The only issue is, if I’m going to move, is it worth going to a local uni or is it better studying abroad?

TheOnePheeph

HSC
That sounds amazing. The only issue is, if I’m going to move, is it worth going to a local uni or is it better studying abroad?
I would honestly love to study abroad, but at the good unis they usually don't bat an eye at you unless you are a maths olympiad or something, and have the insane amount of money to pay from what I've heard. Personally if I go into research I would 100% try and get into a really good uni abroad, but for undergraduate I can't afford the loans and I know I probably don't have a shot of getting into a lot of good ones, and I've also heard going abroad for undergraduate ultimately isn't worth the cost. As for convenience, I am pretty far away from all unis, with wollongong being the closest at 2 hours away, so I would have to move no matter what. For you though, if you are close to local unis, it is completely your choice on whether you would be willing to move or not, and can be difficult, especially if you have other solid unis near you.

Arrowshaft

HSC
I would honestly love to study abroad, but at the good unis they usually don't bat an eye at you unless you are a maths olympiad or something, and have the insane amount of money to pay from what I've heard. Personally if I go into research I would 100% try and get into a really good uni abroad, but for undergraduate I can't afford the loans and I know I probably don't have a shot of getting into a lot of good ones. As for convenience, I am pretty far away from all unis, with wollongong being the closest at 2 hours away, so I would have to move no matter what. For you though, if you are close to local unis, it is completely your choice on whether you would be willing to move or not, and can be difficult, especially if you have other solid unis near you.
Hmm that was my same thought process. Stay in Australia till undergrad and then pursue post grad abroad

Skuxxgolfer

HSC
N/A
Has anyone done the atar notes topic test questions? If so, do you think the sample answers provided for some of the 7-9 markers is enough, it feels like if I wrote that much it wouldn't be worth the full marks, just from comparing to previous long response questions from the hsc.

Jimmy.Chen

HSC
Hi guys I was just want wondering if you lose marks for saying extra stuff (even if you gave all the necessary parts)? Because my strategy for long responses right now is to just dump everything I know in that might be even remotely relevant to make sure I cover everything because I've found marking criterias to be very unpredictable in the past.

Arrowshaft

HSC
Hi guys I was just want wondering if you lose marks for saying extra stuff (even if you gave all the necessary parts)? Because my strategy for long responses right now is to just dump everything I know in that might be even remotely relevant to make sure I cover everything because I've found marking criterias to be very unpredictable in the past.
Yep, that works. There has to be at least SOME tie though, make sure to link it to your argument and not be chaotic and unorthodox.

Last edited:

Arrowshaft

HSC
Has anyone done the atar notes topic test questions? If so, do you think the sample answers provided for some of the 7-9 markers is enough, it feels like if I wrote that much it wouldn't be worth the full marks, just from comparing to previous long response questions from the hsc.
I noticed that too. I would just take their responses as a guide rather than an examplar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)