Has anyone done/is doing mathematical sciences degree at ANU? (1 Viewer)

TheOnePheeph

HSC
I am planning on doing this degree next year, doubled with science, and was just wondering about a few things:

Is it a lot better than maths degrees offered by other unis? I have heard that the maths degree at ANU skips over a lot of of extension 2 recap that is done at other unis such as USyd and UNSW, and am wondering how accurate this is, or if the degree in general is a lot better than these other ones, especially for going into stuff like research, to do a pHD which I have been considering. Also how competitive is it?

Thanks in advance for any response

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hm was he doing maths though? Seems a lot of his arguments against are about job prospects, which is fair considering canberra's size compared to sydney. Still, posts like this are worrying.
Yeah not too sure sorry

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I am planning on doing this degree next year, doubled with science, and was just wondering about a few things:

Is it a lot better than maths degrees offered by other unis? I have heard that the maths degree at ANU skips over a lot of of extension 2 recap that is done at other unis such as USyd and UNSW, and am wondering how accurate this is, or if the degree in general is a lot better than these other ones, especially for going into stuff like research, to do a pHD which I have been considering. Also how competitive is it?

Thanks in advance for any response
I would honestly recommend Usyd for Maths. Really the only reason Anu is ranked so high is because it's Australia's 'National' University which means it spends a shitload of money on research. That's all they're about 'research'. I would say do Undergrad at Usyd and if you want to do a Phd after that then go Anu if you really want to.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
I would honestly recommend Usyd for Maths. Really the only reason Anu is ranked so high is because it's Australia's 'National' University which means it spends a shitload of money on research. That's all they're about 'research'. I would say do Undergrad at Usyd and if you want to do a Phd after that then go Anu if you really want to.
I'm actually hoping to go overseas for PHD, provided I can get the marks, but can't go there for undergrad since I have no olympiad qualifications or anything so they won't care and also I can't afford it. Also if you've done maths at sydney, how much time do they spend on going over x2 content, and would Sydney make special considerations based off scores in maths? I am not confident I did well enough in english to get a 98 atar, and physics also felt a bit rough.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm actually hoping to go overseas for PHD, provided I can get the marks, but can't go there for undergrad since I have no olympiad qualifications or anything so they won't care and also I can't afford it. Also if you've done maths at sydney, how much time do they spend on going over x2 content, and would Sydney make special considerations based off scores in maths? I am not confident I did well enough in english to get a 98 atar, and physics also felt a bit rough.
Well all students do the same first year math courses as Math majors, and Unsw/Usyd is pretty similar. Honestly hardly any time was spent revising X2 lol. Which is why it's so valuable to have done it in high school.

Complex numbers was done in a week.
Integration was also basically done in a week

Yeah you'll be flying through X2 content.

As for special considerations.. I always say any uni or institution is ready to break the rules IF your good lol. If you get a state rank they'll probably beg you to come haha.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
Well all students do the same first year math courses as Math majors, and Unsw/Usyd is pretty similar. Honestly hardly any time was spent revising X2 lol. Which is why it's so valuable to have done it in high school.

Complex numbers was done in a week.
Integration was also basically done in a week

Yeah you'll be flying through X2 content.
Ok nice, thats good to hear. Only other consideration is I have a scholarship to ANU so its gonna be difficult to decide based on that, but thanks for the advice. Really hope I get that state rank lol, could be room for negotiation of scholarships with sydney.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)