Y11 Subjects: Drama VS Legal Studies (1 Viewer)

addictedtobubbletea

HSC
I’m torn between these 2 atm. Which scales better? I have more interest in Drama but am unlikely to use it in the future, while legal studies seems more practical but less interesting. Legal studies also seems easier since you just have to study hard but again I’m more likely to put in more effort for Drama since I’m more interested. Really can’t decide.... any help will be appreciated!

Last edited:

Zyphronic

HSC
Legal Studies scales better. However, you shouldn't choose a subject based off it's scaling. I would suggest giving Drama a go, mainly because you have said you enjoy it better. But then again, the decision is up to you.

periodmami

HSC
drama, don't worry about scaling.
You seem much more interested in drama?

addictedtobubbletea

HSC
Legal Studies scales better. However, you shouldn't choose a subject based off it's scaling. I would suggest giving Drama a go, mainly because you have said you enjoy it better. But then again, the decision is up to you.
Thank you! Do you think Legal Studies will be useful/important if I decide to study law in uni?

addictedtobubbletea

HSC
drama, don't worry about scaling.
You seem much more interested in drama?
Yes I am a lot more interested in drama. I’m just a little hesitant to take it because (scaling aside) i dont know if i’ll be able to do well. interest =/= skill after all :”

Zyphronic

HSC
Legal Studies isn't a prerequisite for doing law. However, it would be definitely put you ahead by a bit. It isn't an absolute necessity. I've heard the content you learn in Year 11 (the foundations) is useful for university. Whilst, Year 12 is more applying these foundations learnt in Year 11.

I would recommend taking Legal Studies in that case, if you are interested in studying Law.

Legal Studies requires synthesising concepts and applying them to certain questions. If that's your thing I would go for it.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Depends on what you really like. If you enjoy drama choose it before you will be interested in it but if you choose legal it can help you in the future, and since you don't like it it will want to push you to put more effort to get a band 6.

crispynewts

HSC
I know this is a late reply, but i was in this same situation when i was in year 10, i was tossing up between drama and legal studies, but i ultimately chose legal studies. I know this is very much different depending on the person, but I absolutely hated legal studies with every fibre of my being haha, but i chose it because i was thinking of maybe doing criminology in uni so i didn’t NEED drama. I’m now going into year 12 and i have indeed dropped legal studies because it’s VERY content heavy and it’s a lot of new terminology that was just not going into my brain. I’m very lucky though that i was able to start an external drama course instead of legal studies, even though i would be very behind on the content. I just want to say i now realise that i DID actually need drama, not just for my grades , but because i didn’t realise how mentally drained i was, and i needed a creative subject like drama to be able to relax and wind down after a long day at school. I know you’ve chosen what subject to do at this point but i’m just putting this here incase anyone else ever is tossing up between these subjects in the future :)

addictedtobubbletea

HSC
thank u for sharing!! yeah looking back on this (wow it’s been a while and a lot has changed) I now know so many people who’ve taken subjects they didn’t particularly have any interest in, before ending up hating & dropping it. it’s great that u managed to pick up drama externally and hope it’s giving u the break from yr12 u deserve !!!

I’m going into yr12 as well and doing hsc drama, and I have to say I’ve never made a better decision lol. If anyone is in a similar dilemma I’d say try it out (you’ve got 2 units on top of ur 10 units to play with anyways) and who knows u might end up really enjoying it and doing really well :)

FrizHobbit

HSC
Hey, I know this is late, but I'm doing Drama and Legal Studies. I hate Legal Studies with a passion. Drama, on the other hand, while I dislike my group for GP, there are so many other aspects of Drama that still make it enjoyable. I personally recommend that unless you want to do something related to the Legal system or have done a similar subject in the past that you enjoyed, choose Drama.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)