why economics and business studies are bad together (1 Viewer)

symio

HSC
lol can anyone give me some reasons or give some advice on these subjects? im doing both next year and i want to drop business... ive heard from some people that the content overlaps and it is bad as a combination somehow??

vinlatte

HSC
lol can anyone give me some reasons or give some advice on these subjects? im doing both next year and i want to drop business... ive heard from some people that the content overlaps and it is bad as a combination somehow??
It's not really a bad combo, many people that do economics tend to do business too. Some content does overlap because there microeconomics that relates to businesses. Plus there's an external economic influence on a business that affects consumer spending.

The difficulty and content are different though, and personally I prefer eco than business. Eco has a lot of new metalanguage to learn and business has lots report writing, which was very repetitive for me. It's usually a strategy or influence and how it impacts the business.

Economics is useful for understanding current events and the world economy. Business is more suited for people who want to take business management, marketing or enterpreneurship.

I was considering to drop eco during yr 11 until I finally understood the content in the last term lol. I ended up dropping business before yr 12 bc I didn't like writing business reports plus I didn't want 14 units.

If you aren't interested in business, then you shouldn't have to keep it. I think you should balance your heavy content subjects. Even if some are low scaling, it won't matter if you enjoy the subject and do well bc you can still achieve high marks.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I did both and I thought they worked fine as a combination together.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Business Studies is typically easier to do well in though, pretty much rote learn the structure of the syllabus and you will do well.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I did both and I thought they worked fine as a combination together.
Same. I also found that business studies provided a much better general overview of various topics which you'd cover in significantly more depth in university (in a B Business or B Commerce degree).

Master Singleton

The Night Owl
HSC
Uni Grad
Same. I also found that business studies provided a much better general overview of various topics which you'd cover in significantly more depth in university (in a B Business or B Commerce degree).
That is true can vouch as a former Business Studies student and current Business School student.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Seeing that I've seen Op post in other threads about wanting to swap it for Visual Arts, I guess the question again becomes what do you actually want to do (in life) and what are you interested in?

milkytea99

HSC
They are not bad together, they are in fact an excellent combo and if you intend to do a Commerce degree, they are the basic building blocks for it. I personally found the topics in Business studies to be more interesting and easier to understand and broader. Whereas for Econ, it's more content-heavy and technical.
If you want to do a Commerce degree at Uni, I suggest you do to both Economics and Business Studies for Year 11 and 12, it helps a lot.

symio

HSC
Seeing that I've seen Op post in other threads about wanting to swap it for Visual Arts, I guess the question again becomes what do you actually want to do (in life) and what are you interested in?
not really sure what i want to do in life yet, but its something related to communications or business?? i considered changing to art just because i thought it will be more interesting and definitely give me a break from all my humanities 'essay' subjects. do you think it's a good idea? im hoping to get a high atar with these subjects.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
not really sure what i want to do in life yet, but its something related to communications or business?? i considered changing to art just because i thought it will be more interesting and definitely give me a break from all my humanities 'essay' subjects. do you think it's a good idea? im hoping to get a high atar with these subjects.
IMO, and this might be the "asian parent mindset" in me speaking, keep visual arts as a passion/hobby rather than doing it for your HSC and feeling pressured to do it in a certain way. It's the same reason why I enjoy cars and gaming, but I'd never make either of those into a career since I enjoy having them as hobbies.

The other thing to keep in mind is that a high ATAR whilst impacted by scaling, is more the result of you actually doing well in the subjects. Business Studies seems both more relevant and will have some synergies for you, but you also need to apply yourself. Marks aren't everything, but they sure helped me alot.

(on a side note, due to scaling, my 89 in business studies didn't even fully count in my UAI back in my day... yet my fail in Ext1 Maths scaled up to a 39/50 which did count.)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
If I want to do actuarial studies in uni should I do both business studies and economics next year?
Above anything you should do high levels of Maths, at least Extension 1 because looking at the degree it assumes your at least at that level.

As for business and eco, I'll leave that to people that actually know the answer to that.

HSC
I don't think that business and economics is a bad combination

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)