Thoughts on IPT (1 Viewer)

rachel.iik

HSC
Considering choosing ipt Next year just wondering thoughts and opinions on it. Any advice or past experiences.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Considering choosing ipt Next year just wondering thoughts and opinions on it. Any advice or past experiences.
Personally I found it really boring just because I liked SDD more and IPT was my extra subject. However if that wasn’t the case I might’ve found it a bit more interesting maybe but a lot of the content I found to be really dull.

However there are people who enjoy it as well. It’s not really a tough subject.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm the opposite of Drdusk and I actually enjoyed IPT. I found of all the subjects I did during my HSC, it was probably the most useful in my longer term career in accounting (go figure). Being able to draw out a process flow chart, or understand how databases work, or how project implementations work, etc... have actually been surprisingly useful and whilst my core focus was accounting/finance, the level of automation and systems reliance has meant that having a strength in this space has been a real differentiator for me.

rachel.iik

HSC
Personally I found it really boring just because I liked SDD more and IPT was my extra subject. However if that wasn’t the case I might’ve found it a bit more interesting maybe but a lot of the content I found to be really dull.

However there are people who enjoy it as well. It’s not really a tough subject.
Thank u for your opinion and for sharing

rachel.iik

HSC
I'm the opposite of Drdusk and I actually enjoyed IPT. I found of all the subjects I did during my HSC, it was probably the most useful in my longer term career in accounting (go figure). Being able to draw out a process flow chart, or understand how databases work, or how project implementations work, etc... have actually been surprisingly useful and whilst my core focus was accounting/finance, the level of automation and systems reliance has meant that having a strength in this space has been a real differentiator for me.
Is it a hard subject what are some tips

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't find it to be a hard subject, but I put in the effort to do all the readings and exercises, and I saw it as an opportunity to learn/understand rather than just trying to memorise syllabus dot points/etc.

ps. I've seen you post elsewhere on BoS - I'd suggest not just picking subjects based on whether they're easy or hard but whether you actually have an interest and a passion in the subject matter since ultimately that's what will get you committed to something. The "less challenging" subjects may seem easier but then it becomes harder to do well.

rachel.iik

HSC
I didn't find it to be a hard subject, but I put in the effort to do all the readings and exercises, and I saw it as an opportunity to learn/understand rather than just trying to memorise syllabus dot points/etc.

ps. I've seen you post elsewhere on BoS - I'd suggest not just picking subjects based on whether they're easy or hard but whether you actually have an interest and a passion in the subject matter since ultimately that's what will get you committed to something. The "less challenging" subjects may seem easier but then it becomes harder to do well.
Thanks for the reply but what if I can’t find what I’m passionate about

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the reply but what if I can’t find what I’m passionate about
Then I guess that's the marvel of life. You keep trying things until you do. But I'd suggest that going for the easiest route/option in life may not always lead to satisfaction and fulfilment :)

MAAB1002

HSC
This is definitely late but does IPT have any coding, considering doing as I think it's probably not too hard.

yooook

HSC
no, just some sql stuff but that is ex to learn even for me and is not rlly coding at all

PikaAnime123

HSC
This is definitely late but does IPT have any coding, considering doing as I think it's probably not too hard.
I don't know about other schools doing IPT, but we never really touched on any aspect of coding in my IPT class xD Maybe the most we would do is an activity from Grok, but that's about it. As long as you look at information from the textbook and internet, and revise early on, IPT is quite a relaxed subject imo

MAAB1002

HSC
How does it scale? I want to medicine so I've been told to do subjects that I will do good at scale well to at least some extent as I require quite a high atar. thanks

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
How does it scale? I want to medicine so I've been told to do subjects that I will do good at scale well to at least some extent as I require quite a high atar. thanks
It’s not at all a good scaling subject. It scales quite poorly tbh, but if you enjoy it take it. I didn’t enjoy it myself but maybe you will.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Poor scaling unless you absolutely smash it. But if you're aiming for med, there's alot more to it than marks and I think you'd probably get more out of doing something either more relevant or that you are passionate about.

Reading this article on SMH made me sad given I feel it's one of the most useful courses :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)