SRS Entry for MQ and Co (1 Viewer)

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Guys,

I am a bit confused on how MQ and other universities allocate SRS spots for individuals on the basis of Year 11 results, as they can't technically calculate an ATAR using those marks as scaling changes every year. I am trying to get into MQ Law through SRS, and here are my marks;
Business Studies - Raw (98) = Scaled (98) - Rank 2/57
Legal Studies - Raw (88) = Scaled (94) - Rank 4/36
PDH/PE - Raw (71) = Scaled (87) - Rank 21/40
Biology - Raw (69) = Scaled (83) - Rank 41/70
English Advanced - Raw (68) = Scaled (82) - Rank 26/100
Maths Adv - Raw (58) = Scaled (75) - Rank 69/100

Using my "Raw" marks it sits me on a ATAR of 76.00 - 78.95 (According to HSC Ninja) and with my "Scaled" marks it gives me a ATAR of 93.2 - 94.95 (Again, according to HSC Ninja). If they compare my Raw Marks to their criteria I have little to no chance or if they decide to compare my Scaled marks I do have a possibility of being offered a spot.

Can someone please tell me how SRS spots are calculated and the likelihood of me being offered a position through SRS to MQ Law.

Thanks

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Guys,

I am a bit confused on how MQ and other universities allocate SRS spots for individuals on the basis of Year 11 results, as they can't technically calculate an ATAR using those marks as scaling changes every year. I am trying to get into MQ Law through SRS, and here are my marks;
Business Studies - Raw (98) = Scaled (98) - Rank 2/57
Legal Studies - Raw (88) = Scaled (94) - Rank 4/36
PDH/PE - Raw (71) = Scaled (87) - Rank 21/40
Biology - Raw (69) = Scaled (83) - Rank 41/70
English Advanced - Raw (68) = Scaled (82) - Rank 26/100
Maths Adv - Raw (58) = Scaled (75) - Rank 69/100

Using my "Raw" marks it sits me on a ATAR of 76.00 - 78.95 (According to HSC Ninja) and with my "Scaled" marks it gives me a ATAR of 93.2 - 94.95 (Again, according to HSC Ninja). If they compare my Raw Marks to their criteria I have little to no chance or if they decide to compare my Scaled marks I do have a possibility of being offered a spot.

Can someone please tell me how SRS spots are calculated and the likelihood of me being offered a position through SRS to MQ Law.

Thanks
I highly doubt they will do any scaling of your marks because it's not up to them and as such they don't have the expertise required to do that. iirc from some people I know who did SRS they look at your raw marks.

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
I highly doubt they will do any scaling of your marks because it's not up to them and as such they don't have the expertise required to do that. iirc from some people I know who did SRS they look at your raw marks.
What's my chance of MQ Law?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Doesn’t hurt to apply.

What is your school rank and extracurricular like?

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
Doesn’t hurt to apply.

What is your school rank and extracurricular like?
155 and I have heaps from Year 10 - mainly Sport, Work Experience, Volunteering and I can get some statements from teachers saying something about my academic abilities (if needed)

hschelper01

HSC
You think they'll offer me?
The more extra-curricular you have, the more chance you have of getting an offer. Nowadays, universities and employers are really focussing on extra-curricular activities (volunteering, sport, leadership, work experience) because - whilst the ATAR is important - extra-curricular activities tell them so much more about who you are as a person (how you interact with people, teamwork, interpersonal skills etc).

I'm not studying at MQ, but the Co-Op scholarship at UTS has the same criteria and focus. The ATAR and extra-curricular activities balance each other out in a sense - if you lack the ATAR requirement, the activities will increase your chances of being selected and visa versa...

At the end of the day, it doesn't hurt to apply... what do you have to lose 🤷‍♀️ ?

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
The more extra-curricular you have, the more chance you have of getting an offer. Nowadays, universities and employers are really focussing on extra-curricular activities (volunteering, sport, leadership, work experience) because - whilst the ATAR is important - extra-curricular activities tell them so much more about who you are as a person (how you interact with people, teamwork, interpersonal skills etc).

I'm not studying at MQ, but the Co-Op scholarship at UTS has the same criteria and focus. The ATAR and extra-curricular activities balance each other out in a sense - if you lack the ATAR requirement, the activities will increase your chances of being selected and visa versa...

At the end of the day, it doesn't hurt to apply... what do you have to lose 🤷‍♀️ ?
I got 10 Extra-Curricular activities, can be 11 including being an applicant to a prestigious program that the school only let 5 people apply for. Out of my 10-11, 6 of them are Sport related

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC
Macquarie have 2 early entry schemes - Leaders and Achievers, and SRS.

L+A is a written application - you fill out the form and outline 3? achievements/activities which then get signed off by their respective supervisors. I think the school report gets sent through but isn’t really the focus of this scheme. A few of my friends got offers through this scheme, and imo, Macquarie were quite generous. If your application is decent (pretty average extra curriculars, nothing like National Olympiad/Olympic level sport - more like church volunteering and Saturday sport), you’ll most likely get in.

SRS works a bit differently. It’s pretty much automated. They use your NESA report (not your school report) and your careers advisor’s “rating” of your suitability for tertiary study (don’t worry, they usually just give everyone full marks) and your aptitude in 4? different criteria. If your year 11 NESA report (accessible on studentsonline) was decent (A’s and B’s in the relevant subjects), you should have a good shot at an offer.

If somehow you don’t end up with an offer from either of these schemes, note that Macquarie is quite liberal with their offers and accept ATARs below their advertised cut-offs. Bonus points aren’t too hard to come by and Macquarie tend to be quite generous with those too.

Given that you’re interested in MQ, I’d assume you live near there in the NW region? Note that WSU has campuses in Penrith and Parramatta and also have an early entry scheme, as well as generous bonus point schemes.

On your question about raw vs. scaled internal marks, note that your raw cumulative averages never get scaled at all. Last year, ANU used year 11 results for its conditional offers - your marks/ranks in tandem with your schools previous ATAR data are used to predict your ATAR range.

Hope this helps :))

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad

L+A is a written application - you fill out the form and outline 3? achievements/activities which then get signed off by their respective supervisors. I think the school report gets sent through but isn’t really the focus of this scheme. A few of my friends got offers through this scheme, and imo, Macquarie were quite generous. If your application is decent (pretty average extra curriculars, nothing like National Olympiad/Olympic level sport - more like church volunteering and Saturday sport), you’ll most likely get in.

SRS works a bit differently. It’s pretty much automated. They use your NESA report (not your school report) and your careers advisor’s “rating” of your suitability for tertiary study (don’t worry, they usually just give everyone full marks) and your aptitude in 4? different criteria. If your year 11 NESA report (accessible on studentsonline) was decent (A’s and B’s in the relevant subjects), you should have a good shot at an offer.

If somehow you don’t end up with an offer from either of these schemes, note that Macquarie is quite liberal with their offers and accept ATARs below their advertised cut-offs. Bonus points aren’t too hard to come by and Macquarie tend to be quite generous with those too.

Given that you’re interested in MQ, I’d assume you live near there in the NW region? Note that WSU has campuses in Penrith and Parramatta and also have an early entry scheme, as well as generous bonus point schemes.

On your question about raw vs. scaled internal marks, note that your raw cumulative averages never get scaled at all. Last year, ANU used year 11 results for its conditional offers - your marks/ranks in tandem with your schools previous ATAR data are used to predict your ATAR range.

Yeah I live in the North Shore, only issue is I haven't done any Co-Curricular within the space of Year 11 or 12. This ongoing pandemic doesn't allow me to do any Volunteering etc, it is kind of hard. Yeah I got A for Legal and Business, B for English what is required for that degree and if I decide to do Applied Finance I got C in Maths (a bit shaky) but hopefully all goes well. Thanks for this

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad

I asked around from the class of 2020, only around 13-15 students got 90+. The trial average for Business was 53, so idk how that will correlate

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC
I asked around from the class of 2020, only around 13-15 students got 90+. The trial average for Business was 53, so idk how that will correlate
Please note that my spiel about internal marks above refers to ANU (Australian National Uni) only.

Usually, the transition from school marks to HSC clusters up the marks - that’s just how it is. If your school marks harshly, then you can expect a general increase in marks. The spread of the marks will usually compress as well. This data (which is available to schools), along with UAC’s information on aggregates is what I’d assume ANU uses to model your predicted ATAR. It is more complicated than averaging your school marks, going to rawmarks.info and pumping the scaled marks into hscninja.

Just a side note - these calculators are quite useless except for the 6 hours between HSC results and ATAR. Unless your school is relatively consistent i.e. top 50ish without sudden jumps, I wouldn’t really give the ATAR calculators (raw or aligned using your method) much thought at all.

mmmm.

HSC
Could someone help me out. On UAC for SRS it says ' Applicants must have any courses they would like to be considered for an SRS offer included in their list of preferences by midnight.' this date refers to 8 Nov. Does this mean that if i change my preferences after this date that i will no longer be considered for SRS? or will they use the courses i put before changing it after 8Nov?

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Could someone help me out. On UAC for SRS it says ' Applicants must have any courses they would like to be considered for an SRS offer included in their list of preferences by midnight.' this date refers to 8 Nov. Does this mean that if i change my preferences after this date that i will no longer be considered for SRS? or will they use the courses i put before changing it after 8Nov?
I think it's best to give UAC a call to clarify

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
Has anyone been offered SRS Entry today - because MQ sent various emails to individuals saying they got in and the UAC offer will be given on the 12th of November. I haven't got an email from them, does this mean I have not gotten in?

Mortini

HSC
Has anyone been offered SRS Entry today - because MQ sent various emails to individuals saying they got in and the UAC offer will be given on the 12th of November. I haven't got an email from them, does this mean I have not gotten in?
I got an email for B. Law + Pysch and B.Law + Arts
Not sure if you not getting an email totally voids any chance of you getting one though?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)